AuthorTopic: Avatars I made for some friends  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

on: August 14, 2012, 12:39:49 am
Some time ago, probably over a year, I felt this urge of getting back into pixelart, but since I did't have a project or ideas for images, I posted on a forum I go to and offered to make 100x100 size avatars, as long as people gave me a reference of what they wanted. Some were very specific, others were a bit vague, and other even wanted some sort of adaptation.

here's what I ended up with:

Tell me what you think
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Re: Avatars I made for some friends

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:29:50 am
quite an eclectic mix of styles and subjects, for the most part they are rather good, the gangsta bob the builder one looks quite odd especially the way the parrot is standing, I can see he is standing on one foot and gesturing but the foot he is standing on seems not to be very well placed, and the pustules or whatnot on that rainbow puking fatty are quite bizarre and read strangely but I guess if they are meant to be grotesque then it works,

I think the rendering is nice, but the glass is a bit dull and here's a quick edit of what I'd suggest to further push the glass effect

also attempted a quick edit on him too, as compared to the rest of your pieces it seemed the only with some glaring issues, the curve on the hat was really jagged, his right arm elbow was protruding quite alot, and as before stated the parrot seemed badly placed, the ear wasn't a great point of focus so I think some overlap would be welcome, you imply some more dimension by implying some Z depth, also I can't read whether it's simplistic eyes or closed eyes, but I think with little effort you could further emphasis the attitude you already have going in the body language/posture, and the cyan was a bit too pure and bright for my liking, and I thought it contrasted too much, but maybe that's just me. also you established some high contrast then the shades used on the bird are quite low in contrast

good stuff, I like the pattern you've worked into the skull

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: Avatars I made for some friends

Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:40:25 am
the bob the builder guy was an adaptation request. he's ment to be cartoon from tv but they wanted it to be all gangster and with bling. So I had the parrot do the West side gesture :)

the guy puking a rainbow is suposed to be the boomer from left 4 dead, and its based of an existing image. same with the rockwell baby.
the skull is ment to be made of diamonds. its called "for the love of god" I think.

and yes, your edit looks much better!!!
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!