AuthorTopic: Roguelike Characters  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Dokozai

• View Profile

Roguelike Characters

on: August 13, 2012, 11:23:30 pm
Hello Pixelation, I haven't posted here in a long while it seems.  I've recently started to build a pixel portfolio of sorts to show to all of the wonderful people of the
world so that they may have a sample of my work, and what I'm capable of.  I've started making some sprites for a roguelike mockup.  So far I have 4 characters;
Warrior, Wizard, Thief, Necromancer (who is subject to change, I just really didn't want a priest character.)  After I've completed these, I'll probably get to work making a basic dungeon tileset, and then some monster/miscellaneous objects to scatter around the dungeon.  Once I've completed those, I'll move on to the UI biz'.

I'd like to know what improvements to the first two sprites on the left in terms of readability and overall quality.  The last two are obviously incomplete, but critique
for the thief (third from the left) is much appreciated.  Thanks for taking your time to read my post.  :)

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Re: Roguelike Characters

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:57:37 pm
You mean to draw the shield the soldier is holding in an angle, right ? :D

I tried to make it more 3Dish.
good job, and the palette is amazing.
Be Like no other

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:19:57 am
I think the wizard looks terrific.  Good use of colors, design, pose, it's all nice.

The warrior has a problem with his colors.  Place him on a gray stone background and he largely disappears.  Place him on grass or water, and the lack of saturation can confuse the visual priority of the sprites.  Consider using a green-purple mix rather than gray for the armor, or shift the tones to the warmer colors and give him brass or gold armor.

The rogue will have a similar problem.  Monochrome brown is a bit dull, even though the colors are saturated.  The design is good but add a bit of variety to the colors.

Overall very nicely done so far.

Tourist

Offline Dokozai

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 01:50:48 am
You mean to draw the shield the soldier is holding in an angle, right ? :D
I tried to make it more 3Dish.
good job, and the palette is amazing.
Yes, that was my intention.  Thank you for the complement, but I request you remove that edit from your Deviantart gallery.

I think the wizard looks terrific.  Good use of colors, design, pose, it's all nice.

The warrior has a problem with his colors.  Place him on a gray stone background and he largely disappears.  Place him on grass or water, and the lack of saturation can confuse the visual priority of the sprites.  Consider using a green-purple mix rather than gray for the armor, or shift the tones to the warmer colors and give him brass or gold armor.

The rogue will have a similar problem.  Monochrome brown is a bit dull, even though the colors are saturated.  The design is good but add a bit of variety to the colors.

Overall very nicely done so far.

Tourist
Thank you Tourist for the critique, I went ahead and changed the warrior's armor.  The Rogue's clothes will most likely change also.  Tiles will come after I finish a commission.

Current:

As a bonus, the original doodle of the necromancer:

Offline A-Red

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 02:12:19 am
I like these a lot.  The one thing that looks odd to me is that the warrior appears to be the smallest of the four. He's a couple of pixels shorter than the others, and even if he's the same width, certain elements make the others look bulkier--the warrior has very narrow legs, for instance.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:46:15 am
these are quite nice, hope you keep adding some more and updating this, the colour choice fits with the style

also I very much doubt he has it in his gallery, deviantArt has it's own image host, which is entirely independent of peoples galleries my guess is that's the image host he's used, if the URL is what led you to believe it was in his gallery.

I'm not sure if I like the gold armour, looks a bit tacky to me  :P this maybe? also I think the noses looked upside down, or just strange with that shading not clear, if you intended concave squares it doesn't read clearly either

breaks the style a bit but could be worth experimenting with noses