AuthorTopic: Need of help  (Read 9655 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Need of help

Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 10:55:14 am
In general the last version of your charakter is ok (at least the stand frame). Although there are some big and lots of little things you can concentrate on, for this I also made you an edit to illustrate the points.

-color design: your charakter is pretty grey. It's at the moment no problem but if you are laying it in the background, it could be that your char gets lost. I usually prefer strong colors for my charakters to make them stand out. For example a electric blue hair will lead the players attention to the charakter.

-lighting: drawing  (and spriting) is all about controlling forms. Once you are able to shade different objects in the right way you are also able to shade more complex forms like humans, hair and stuff. At the moment your shading is off at some places, especially at the arms and the hair.

-cleanness: especially if you are working at low resolutions with pixels it's very important to work very clean. Each pixel displays a roughly estimated 5x5cm piece of your charakter. THat's a pretty big areal. If there is one pixel off it can maybe cause problems. Also keep in mind that less is more. Make sure that your pixel clusters (pixel areas with the same color) have beautiful shapes and clean appeareances.
-dynamics: the general action line of your character is already pretty dynamic, but iit's important to show this also with the arms, the legs and the head. It could be tweaked a little
-shadow:a shadow sometimes helps to improve the spatial feeling of your drawings. If you can combine a shadow with your environments, do it. It helps tthe viewer to see how high a char is jumping or is he is running very fast and lots of other things.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:59:33 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Mùller

• @Iv_Mii
    • ivenmiller
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38271.htm
    • ivenmiller
    • wolvesonpray
    • arttxel
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 02:42:16 pm
holy jesus :o,that amazing edit Cyangmou!!! :lol: , i will be accompanying this topic!  :-[

Offline Vell123

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 08:12:09 pm
holy jesus :o,that amazing edit Cyangmou!!! :lol: , i will be accompanying this topic!  :-[
:-\ That is a nice edit Cyangmou. Cyangmou I never had the guidance on how to proper create characters, backgrounds objects or just making in sprites in general. If anyone knows a guide from the beginning to end on how to start and that goes into more depth I would greatly appreciate it. Another thing. Cyangmou, Thank you for the help for being more particular on my weak points and how to improve them. As well as everyone else, and with all of this being said I'll give my character another shot until I feel he is an acceptable sprites based on all sprite standards that I've been taught.

:)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 10:01:30 pm
Pixel art skills and general art skills are really strong connected. This means if you are getting better with drawing/painting, your pixel skills will also benefit from it a lot. You can never know enough about perspective, rendition and anatomy.
There is no complete guide for everything, because every artist has his own way to achieve his results and it's the same about the use of techniques. But if you are doing game graphics you have in general to think about all you would think of if you create a painting + you also have to think about animation and readability. Especially if it comes to readability - readability is maybe on e of the most important points of pixel art.

If you are interestend in art you'll get better with it. If you think you art skills are in general poor a book could maybe help. Some people recently talked here about the book "the new drawing on the right side of the brain", I don't read it so far, but from the things I heard, it seems to be a very practical book.

If you always do the best you can do with everything you create, you will also get better simple with learning by doing.

Other ways are life studies, sketches, analysis of other art, simple looking at other art, simple looking around and try to draw things also might help. If it wasn't clear maybe some books also help.

In art there is a lot to explore. If you have proper questions a thread in this forums or just asking other people helps - usually your eyes are blind to the mistakes in your work.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Vell123

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:14 pm

so the first and last two images are basically remakes of Cyangmou's remake of my first charcter. What do you guys think

edited...

I noticed something a few seconds ago. But I want to make sure...instead of using black for clothing shadows, does a very low value of blue with mid range saturation make shadows work
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:03:56 pm by Vell123 »

Offline Vell123

• View Profile

Questions and C+C

Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 12:02:43 am

OK I personally like my character without the hoodie. That's the old one and I must admit the bright colors does make him more readable. Still I'm in need of guidance.
my questions:

1. How would i know how whats the right colors for him? Or any charcters
2. How can i do a trial and error to find the perfect fit of colors?
3. how can i make the character more readable to players?

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Questions and C+C

Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 01:27:15 am

idk im not really feeling your palette

also as an answer to your questions
1. trial and error
2. literally just come up with different colors for your character, you wont know what works unless you try. also, learn yourself some color theory
3. combination of using better colors and having a less clustered sprite/simple design

Offline Vell123

• View Profile

Re: Questions and C+C

Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 02:00:14 am
I must admit your edits look pretty cool. Still do you know anywhere where I can get a broad understanding on pixel art and how to draw for beginners

Offline Vell123

• View Profile

C+C

Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 10:10:22 pm
please C+C

Offline Vell123

• View Profile

[WIP] Male Character & needed inspritation

Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 08:34:22 pm
Hi so here is a character I was thinking about for a possible game or animation.
I want to know if you think he readable, if the colors are off or anything basically [C+C] and I could use some inspiration and pointers. Much appreciated thank you.

Running update/creation

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 01:36:53 am by Vell123 »