AuthorTopic: Need of help  (Read 9669 times)

Offline Vell123

• View Profile

Need of help

on: August 11, 2012, 01:34:29 am
 :'(
Im supposed to be the pixel artist for a game but i cant seem to get my characters right and i'm really annoyed. So can someone please give me pointers or something. My highlights are off and everything UGH!!!!!!! >:(

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:43:35 pm by Vell123 »

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Re: Need of help

Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:37:49 am
:'(
Im supposed to be the pixel artist for a game but i cant seem to get my characters right and i'm really annoyed. So can someone please give me pointers or something. My highlights are off and everything UGH!!!!!!! >:(

... Perhaps start by posting what you've got so far so we have something to work from?

Offline Vell123

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 01:48:19 am

edited
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:43:45 pm by Vell123 »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 07:26:18 pm
I hope jpg isn't the only version of the file you have....

the top one looks the most promising, upload some png version/s of your art, and regardless of how you work, always try to tighten up your presentation when posting online, ie only enough canvas space to fit your elements (sprites, tiles etc), with reasonable gaps of course (not so close they are touching, but not inches apart)

Offline Vell123

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:49:26 pm
Okay Thanks for the head up. I was wondering why I've been getting cursed out about the file format and what not. But anyway, I need some kind of since of direction.

so besides the post before this one I want to make a game with an avatar pic the size of the cloud strife avatar and i want to make a character the size of this girl running. all of my attempts and art is at the very top of the paper but still i feel like im missing something like an edge to my art. It doesnt pop the way alot of great pixel artist does. It not like I dont know how to draw or anything like that but my pixeling as a whole needs alot of work i feel. So can i get some critics...suggestions...remakes...something with feedback please! I'm dieing here.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:23:59 pm by Crow »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:37:01 pm
well jpeg files are compressed and have artifacts all over, you lose the pixel values, anyone who's seen more than a few can instantly recognise an image as a jpg because it blurs and even at high quality loses it's colour clarity and has blocks.

some suggestions, also I might as well say that hair is quite ridiculous if you intend to have it as an in-game character. it's volume is almost equal to a character.

the angle of the face on the large haired one is skewed for that facing angle, whatever you are referencing for the hoody jacket guy and chibi chick, keep using and try to stay consistent with, because the attempts on the left no offence intended are very weak colour and proportion wise, and that cyan guy has really strange legs and head, I did a quick attempt at depicting more viable proportions, the colour choice is decent on the girl

also your tiles don't tile too well. if you are using a program that has image manipulation tools you should try offsetting the tiles 50% you'll easily identify what's tiling well and what's not, alternatively and additionally you can tile a 3x3 grid with your tile to identify issues even more so, try editing the central tile, and if you edit one corner and it overlaps onto another you can copy the adjacent corner to the relevant corner on the central tile. I'd illustrate but I don't have the time.

what was your source/reference for those tiles if i may ask? the clustering on grass in particular is quite good and it tiles perfectly unlike the other two.

Offline Vell123

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 11:42:40 pm
well jpeg files are compressed and have artifacts all over, you lose the pixel values, anyone who's seen more than a few can instantly recognise an image as a jpg because it blurs and even at high quality loses it's colour clarity and has blocks.

some suggestions, also I might as well say that hair is quite ridiculous if you intend to have it as an in-game character. it's volume is almost equal to a character.

the angle of the face on the large haired one is skewed for that facing angle, whatever you are referencing for the hoody jacket guy and chibi chick, keep using and try to stay consistent with, because the attempts on the left no offence intended are very weak colour and proportion wise, and that cyan guy has really strange legs and head, I did a quick attempt at depicting more viable proportions, the colour choice is decent on the girl

also your tiles don't tile too well. if you are using a program that has image manipulation tools you should try offsetting the tiles 50% you'll easily identify what's tiling well and what's not, alternatively and additionally you can tile a 3x3 grid with your tile to identify issues even more so, try editing the central tile, and if you edit one corner and it overlaps onto another you can copy the adjacent corner to the relevant corner on the central tile. I'd illustrate but I don't have the time.

what was your source/reference for those tiles if i may ask? the clustering on grass in particular is quite good and it tiles perfectly unlike the other two.

my source was a tile tutorial on devianart
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=pixel+art+tutorial#/d3d4ufx

and so what do you have to say about the highlights and what not? I made the character with the hoodie so you think I should stay with him instead of the others?

new verison.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:23:39 pm by Crow »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 05:46:18 pm
the higher contrast hair tones definitely work better.

you should refrain from multi-posting so much  :blind: usually it's only justifiable if you need to bump your thread, it'd need to be on the bottom of the first page or moved onto the 2nd page for that to be the case.

And yes the hooded one has the strongest style, but the one you are working on now has a decent style, but is it isometric or top down? because it looks like it'd need a bit of work to be either, if it was a menu graphic then yeah the angle is fine, but try testing it in relation to an environment from your game, throw down a quick level using your tiles or pushing yourself to try making some more, how big and varied is this game meant to be? it's quite an undertaking creating all the graphics on your own, so at your beginner skill level I'd choose a game or two that have similar graphical styles and try creating tiles based on what you see, if you want interior tiles, look at a games interior scene and make your own versions of the standard objects and tiles therein, The Spriters Resource is a good place to look, or you could just go with some RPG maker chipsets as a base/inspiration. or just boot up a SNES game via the console or emulator and study the tiles used in them, don't copy them verbatim or so much that it's obvious try your best to make your own versions of, utilizing some of the principles you see

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 07:24:43 pm
you should refrain from multi-posting so much  :blind:

Indeed, don't do that. I've merged your double posts. Please use the modify button in the future.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Vell123

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 07:42:44 pm
Ok I'll stray from the double posting. :-[

@ Grimsane. I've actually modifidy my character more. I want to make a side scroll and now that I think of it I was starting to stray because I was looking at some awesome work on pixeljoint. Anyway here is a great example of what I'm aiming to create with that and more I dont want to just make a "beat em up" or "hack and slash" my game is going to have a story so that's what I how to keep it at with these same principles...http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-07-15/20090715015434425,1.shtml

I'm currently working on my character and I hope to get some feed back so I'll modify this and post him later

New and improved character below. Please critic, suggest, etc. Thank you

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:41:27 am by Vell123 »