AuthorTopic: Waterfall?  (Read 7544 times)

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38048.htm
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Waterfall?

on: August 08, 2012, 03:30:24 pm

I'd like you guys to help me improve at this so that I can get better at pixel art :D

Thanking everyone in advance.
Love Carnage?: Download Epok Now!
My Work
PonjiRo Now Available on Android: Download PonjiRo

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Re: Waterfall?

Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:54:46 pm
doesn't look too bad, try to animate it and post that, that'll be far easier to give feedback on,

although one thing is the perspective of the water fall over the scene looks bizarre, it seems it's because it is taller on the bottom and top from the clifface behind it, it would flow over the very edge of the cliff and it doesn't seem to, and it would crash at the base, it looks like it is cascading a distance away from the cliff face.

and after attempting to break it down into tiles, I can not see evidence that it is tiles, there isn't any re-used tiles at any tilesize, meaning every tile is unique which means while there is alot of variation the entire thing looks really inconsistent

try breaking the tiles down into as little amount as you can, then add variants if you really really want to

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:26:27 am
Traditionnally, waterfalls have been implemented in games through colour cycling that mimmics a vertical flow. Now that I think about it, it makes little sense: although the water is flowing down, the highlights and dark shades should remain roughly in place, shouldn't it ? I mean neither the darker rocks that you see through the water nor the lightsource is moving, right ?

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 10:13:34 am
the highlights and shades should stay in place if the water is flowing flat. but if you want to give it that wavy look, like it has now, then you can change the highlights around.
the top highlight though, where the water starts to fall, that one should stay in place though. maybe shift a bit but mostly stay in place.

I think it looks nice. if you are going for realism, maybe it should get brights as it goes down, since some of the water should start turning into mist, as it travels down.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 07:09:46 am
If you're planning to animate this and want it to be realistic you could go look up some videos of waterfalls - they tend to be nearly-static visually where the water is thickest, with most of the motion being in sections where the water falls in thick drops. I think for what you have here there's nothing wrong with going with the typical convention of scrolling light/dark waves, it's a fairly stylized little scene already.

Either way I'd add more mist where the waterfall hits the pool, something like:

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 06:48:54 am
I am not thinking to animate the waterfall, just want to keep it like this.

Also, I tried to edit the stuff I understood. If you dont mind Grimsane, can you be more generous and post the image with edits?

Here's the edit thoug:

EDIT:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:57:36 am by A2J2TIWARI »
My Work

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 08:00:17 am
What I liked about the splashes in Cupcake's edit was the "roughness" of it. Yours are rather small, making it look a tad noisy.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 02:34:16 pm

Alright.. tried to remove the noisiness and add roughness instead.
My Work

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 03:27:29 am
The image looks like it is in a weird angle, atleast the cliffs aren't alligned in a straight 0 degree line, not sure if that was intentional or not, I just can't keep looking at that angle haha.
So far it looks like the Waterfall is nearly done, just missing animation, you should retouch the cliffs and the grass to go similar with the style of the waterfall.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 03:33:41 am
there are quite a few conflicts in it, as I first mentioned the inconsistency of the surroundings does rather distract as some other forum members have aired.

one thing that I noticed is the illogical nature of the fall, having an isolated pool at the bottom of that size seems bizarre if you consider how much water is flowing down, it'd have to be extremely deep and connected to an underground cavern for drainage, so I'd recommend extending the pool.. the other thing is up the top of cliffs the water is very spread out, if the water was flowing it would lose alot of velocity and energy and the turbulence caused by the very wide lip would disrupt the water fall, and it'd either need to be wide, or slow flowing, so depicting a more rapid flow of water that is clearly channelled off the edge would probably be the best approach. the protruding rocks would also have water crashing into them like in this edit

the overall flatness and bizarre reading waterfall location relative to the cliffs is hard to fix, and my quick edit didn't really address it but contains some hints, although rushed and badly rendered I also give example of trying to use a tile based approach to make it seem more consistent, you can always paint over the tiles, but having it as a foundation would strengthen the consistency. Using darkness to establish the height of the waterfall would also be an option

* I just noticed I've been doing too much 3D or something

looks a lot like a first person 3D scene
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:30:19 am by Grimsane »