AuthorTopic: [WIP] Platformer Reluctant Hero [C+C] (back again, more material!)  (Read 11917 times)

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Platformer Reluctant Hero [C+C]

Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 03:22:24 am
You're a good guy, Pixel. =)
And I can second the recommendation on The Animator's Survival Kit. It's the only good book on animation I've seen. It gets right to the point, with lots of great examples. I don't remember seeing the stutter technique in it, though!
But I am going through it again, so maybe I'll find it this time...if it's in there, I mean!
Looking forward to your blog posts, PPP. Your posts remind me of the Animation Survival Kit. They're all quick and to the point, and almost all show things that are novel to me. ^ ^
And I'm honored my crappy art made it into your grid post, hahah! X3

Psiweapon: the staggering animation is working really well for your guy. Well done!

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 05:15:54 am
IMO that sweat is a bit hyperactive.. slowing it down could improve things. example edit:

That also gives an opportunity to a) make the motion more interesting and less linear, and
b) add some more time when the sweat drop isn't there (having it constantly falling is pretty distracting)

EDIT:and, if you change the eye style slightly, you can add eye twitch/shift, which really adds to the 'nervous' impression:
rough edit:
(other edits are present, but don't take them as any more than experimentation.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:43:22 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 10:05:58 am
I think the walk animation could use more bounce. Even something as simple as moving the frames with the legs farthest apart down 1 pixel would do the trick.

vs.

Likin' the concept of your character and the style you chose. The new stagger is an improvement. Keep working on this. ;)

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 02:54:48 pm
Updates:

Added an additional frame to the shooting animation, with the gun turned 45º, as per PixelPileDriver's. Also removed the sweat drop to prevent conflict with hair motion (Grimsane's advice) Also, featuring the sweat bead in ALL animations kinda spoils the point.

Added bobbing of a jumpy sort (Grimsane, Pypebros, Bissle) and tried a slower, more irregular sweat drop (Ai)

Thanks all for the comments and advice, more of this character to come.

@PixelPiledriver:
I have one suggestion for your graphics gale blog: Make a lasso tool tutorial, I'll be damned if I have the slightest idea how the hell it works.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 03:11:08 pm
Really really enjoying this thread. 

Fire animation seems a bit like he's pulling the gun towards him against the gun's momentum rather than the recoil being the other way around (him fighting against it coming towards).  Almost like he's pulling the sword from the stone at the moment. 

Just realised this is probably because of where the animation's looping, but might still be best to show idle > firing in one anim to see it better in context?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 07:40:01 pm
I took the opportunity to check a "theory of mine" according which it's easier to build walk/run cycles when one start with 6 frames:
<- me | ref ->

Note that I solely focused on feet. I didn't even checked the hair/gun/jacket animation remained consistent.
I just used one frame where the foot is "passing" (which is also my contact frame) and two frames around the extreme positions, to have a pendulum effect.

I let you judge whether it's better or not: I'm not confident enough on such things.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 02:32:06 am

THREAD NECRO!  :crazy:

Lately I've been toying with Construct 2 and since I've already managed to have the
red jacket character walking around and shooting now I want bad guys to kill, so I'm
starting this robot

and the separate frames

Thoughts, suggestions? So far I think the shading on the legs is too irregular and different from
one frame to the next, but the motions themselves flow more or less well (in my eyes at least)

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
Hi guys!  ::)

Sorry for the double post, but I'll just keep stuffing this thread with new material until someone willing
to give some advice or crit shows up. Or even notices the thread, since it's months old!

The robot has arms now! Stretched forward, zombie style. It's a zombie robot.

And here is the spritesheet:

I'm quite satisfied with the traction the legs have (even if the lighting in the legs is pretty haphazard), but
the arms... I think the foreground arm is one pixel too low in a couple of frames (when both arms are at their
lowest point)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.
The robot has arms now! Stretched forward, zombie style. It's a zombie robot.
Ha ha! ** MEMORY ** ... ** MOORE MEMORY! ** ((C) JMJ)

Shading the rear arm darker could help readability, btw.

I'm quite satisfied with the traction the legs have (even if the lighting in the legs is pretty haphazard), but
the arms... I think the foreground arm is one pixel too low in a couple of frames (when both arms are at their
lowest point)
Since it's a bot, you're allowed to pick any move that will make the open "hands" more readable. Red-colored claws, for instance, are also an option.

Offline DOT33102

• Dots are pixels , pixels are art :D voila !
    • View Profile
Omg I realy love the GFX style :D also the animation :D especially the sweating and hesitating part Lol great job :D by the way If I would give an advice on the necro robot I would add some glance on the metal like the one you see in mirrors when light falls on it :D