AuthorTopic: [WIP] Platformer Reluctant Hero [C+C] (back again, more material!)  (Read 12139 times)

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
So long folks.

I'm considering buying Graphics Gale, currently I'm trying the shareware version, and this is what I've come up with so far.

I wanted to make a SD-style hero that looks worried and anxious, as opposed to looking all calm and composed while shooting down zombie robots.

These are the three animations so far, in chronological order

For the walk cycle (moar liek run cycle), first I drew one leg in 4 positions and cloned it, but a 4-frame cycle looked too choppy, so I drew the in-between frames manually.

I probably went a bit overboard with the handgun bobbing, wanted to make the character look nervous and trembling

The first two frames are copied from the standing animation  :-[

This is the spritesheet, 20 colors used, 22 if you count the yellow and brown in the reference line at the right. Probably too many colors, I should zap some.

First I tried bigger sizes, but they all turned out crap, so in the end I opted for 32x32 (the size I've got most experience with) and upscaling.

Can you folks give me any clues or advice? I'm sure there must be some glaring errors since I usually don't do this kind of stuff, but that's one of the reasons I wanted to do it, for a change.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:55:11 am by Psiweapon »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Platformer Reluctant Hero [C+C]

Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:02:18 pm
yeah he looks like he's being mugged and trying to hold onto the gun while it's trying to be taken, that or he's doing something extremely suspect

your walk cycle could use some head bob, and i think you need to bring his foreground foot down a tad on the apex of his forward stride, it's jarring compared to the rest of his leg motion, and he definitely looks nervous, the bead of sweat's a nice touch, although it goes ape on the firing animation the sideburn  motion might work on it's own but it clashes with the bead of sweat. and generally your legs stay planted and your body recoils, the sliding looks off.

with some refinement this'll look pretty good hope you persevere with it :y: and hope you followed my feedback and find it helpful

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 01:24:29 pm
seconding grimsane's advice: having the head, shoulders and back remaining completely frozen during the walk gives an un-natural feel, and the foot seems to magically drop to the ground... you could use one extra frame here.

You've pretty well rendered the mood of the hero, btw.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 01:58:04 pm
I really like the character of the, uh, character..
for the second animation I think that trembling is more about small shakes and not big jerks or wobbling.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:33:57 am
Awesome feedback guys, tvm. I think I'm going to follow everything.

yeah he looks like he's being mugged and trying to hold onto the gun while it's trying to be taken, that or he's doing something extremely suspect

your walk cycle could use some head bob, and i think you need to bring his foreground foot down a tad on the apex of his forward stride, it's jarring compared to the rest of his leg motion, and he definitely looks nervous, the bead of sweat's a nice touch, although it goes ape on the firing animation the sideburn  motion might work on it's own but it clashes with the bead of sweat. and generally your legs stay planted and your body recoils, the sliding looks off.

with some refinement this'll look pretty good hope you persevere with it :y: and hope you followed my feedback and find it helpful

Will correct that "chop" between foreground foot lurched forward and foreground foot touching ground.

You're quite right with the sideburn/sweat conflict, I think I'll keep the sideburn motion and scratch the sweat drop from the firing animation (after all, the sweat drop shows on the other animations)

Thanks for the recoil tip.

seconding grimsane's advice: having the head, shoulders and back remaining completely frozen during the walk gives an un-natural feel, and the foot seems to magically drop to the ground... you could use one extra frame here.

You've pretty well rendered the mood of the hero, btw.

Yes, I'll have the head bob up and down at least a bit during running, or give it some other kind of movement.

About the foot, yes, I have to fix that chop... but I' guess I'll change the existing frames instead of adding another one because I want to stick to 8 frames (The mouth has two frames, the sweat drop has four, etc. having nine frames is going to be a headache.

I really like the character of the, uh, character..
for the second animation I think that trembling is more about small shakes and not big jerks or wobbling.

Thanks! I will try toning the movement down a bit and see if it still conveys the emotion properly.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:55:31 am
The speed on these is a little slow.
They don't read quite as action packed as they could, especially if he's freakin out.
I didn't edit the sweat, just the overall motions.

For the trembling you can use an old animation trick called a Stagger.

Here's how it works.
Animate something in a linear fashion.
Moving from start to end.
The spacing does not need to be even, feel free to weight it at the ends or wherever you feel necessary.
(Altho to start try with just even spacing to understand the process)

Then take the frames and shoot them in a "Staggered" order.
The classic format for understanding a stagger goes like this.

Original Frames:     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Staggered Frames: 1 3 2 4 3 5 4 6 5 7 6 8 7 9 8 10 9 11 10 12 11 12

Really its just a frame pattern formula.
+2 -1 +2 -1 +2 -1 +2 -1 etc........
This makes the animation move in a given direction but with "resistance".
Try modifying the formula as it progresses.

For this animation my frame order was a little different than the above example, since it ping pongs, and repeats at either end, and i messed with it some.

Original Frames:     1 2 3 4 5 5 4 3 2 1
Staggered Frames: 1 3 2 4 3  4 5 4 5 4 5 4  3 4 2 3 1  2 1 2 1 2 1 2
Staggered Meaning: transition to right  hold and shake on right  transition to left  hold and shake on left

In summary, these 2 animations have the EXACT SAME UNIQUE FRAMES.

Only the order and number of repeats is different.

You'll see this trick used all over the place in old cartoons, like Ren & Stimpy, Looney Tunes and etc.
And video games, SNK, Capcom etc.
It is best used to represent tension, fear, strength, madness, struggle, and such things.
But is a valuable trick for representing many other things creatively as well.

For the gun fire:
Adding a single frame of resolve to the gun when it comes down will help dissipate the fast motion.
Also it could withstand even more speed than I've added here.

I really like what you have!
You're doing a great job!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:59:46 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 04:29:35 am
@piledriver:

O____O

Just... Wow. Thanks. I'm at a loss for words. That stagger pro-tip was immensely helpful. Completely new knowledge.

I've downloaded all your edits and I'm delving into them.

Tomorrow I'll post an update of each animation, maybe more.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 11:12:04 pm
Here are some updates:

1st: Trying to make the run animation smoother (This still needs head bobbing)

2nd: First try at stagger animation.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 11:41:26 pm
PixelPileDriver, that's really fantastic. Do you remember where you heard that trick? Or did you just figure it out by yourself by observing animations? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere before!

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 01:42:18 am
Here are some updates:
Progress!!!
Keep it up!

did you just figure it out by yourself by observing animations?
Nope I didn't figure this out myself.
It's a classic technique developed long ago.
But once you know a good helping of the basics you CAN learn a good amount from just observation.
Most of the time really good animation is "invisible" because the entertainment value is so distracting.
The basics are the most important thing to understand as it allows you to break down animation visually and make educated edits to achieve a certain goal.

Do you remember where you heard that trick?
I studied art and programming at Digipen and learned animation from Jazno Francoeur and Tony White.
Both were very good teachers.
They taught traditional paper animation for films, Disney type stuff.
Even tho it is outside medium and presentation style of pixel art and video games, much of film animation knowledge has been covered more thouroughly in the past.
Most likely because it is much older, pretty much 100 years now.
But don't get me wrong, not saying it is more spectacular or appropriate.
All mediums have properties and all techniques should be used in context.
Most of the time you can use animation tech in bite sizes without having to go full blown crazy on everything and get really powerful results.

I've never seen it mentioned anywhere before!
There's a rather large chunk of animation theory that's difficult to find.
The Animators Survival Kit is good.
There's also apparently a newer version of the book, but I haven't read it so I can't personally recommend the difference.
It's a good book and highly recommended by almost everyone.
But I gotta say it just doesn't compare to how I was taught.
This book was a supplement for my classes, not the material.
And I say that in favor of the teachers, not myself.
They presented the concepts and techniques at an extremely high level that I have not seen anywhere else and I think may be difficult, but not at all impossible, to get out of a book.
Of course that doesn't really matter tho.
The best thing you can do to learn animation is DO IT A LOT.
Create processes that give results.
Use the basics to do creative things.

I've actually started an animation/GraphicsGale blog where I plan to detail as much as I know as thoroughly as possible.
I'm attempting to port over many of the posts I've done here and attempt to explain them in further detail.
But it will be sometime before it is complete or even contains half the topics I'd like to cover.
It's a bit of a mess at the moment, much of it doesn't make total sense, but everyone is welcome to visit.
Check back later for updates.
http://ppdaniatlas.blogspot.com/

My aim is not to replace other animation sources. (altho I will be covering much of the basic common knowledge to be thorough)
Animators Survival Kit and others are well accomplished and I recommend that anyone check them out.
I'd like to present animation techniques from a slightly different perspective than that of other animation tutorials.
My hope is that it will be helpful to others.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:25:38 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1