AuthorTopic: First Portrait Ever: CnC please [Nudity]  (Read 8843 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Re: First Portrait Ever: Could Use Some Help

Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 05:48:16 pm
Thanks for the input, Jeremy.  :y:

I played around with my palette a bit and give another go (yeah, I won't give up!) and got this:

BeforeAfter

The colors are better I think but I'm quite there yet. The proportions seem fine. Anyways, rip it apart guys!

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 03:26:02 am
The colors are better, but still lack contrast. Play around with the color palette some more--more lights, more darks, and experiment with different combinations. As it is right now, the color combo makes her skin a lot darker and hair quite lighter(-looking; it's mainly in contrast to the tanned skin) than the photo suggests. My mind jumped to Pamela Anderson.  :o

I'm not sure how much getting a good likeness of the subject is your goal, but in general, try to get a handle of her features--the shapes, the sizes in proportion to each other, etc. At this size that is going to be very difficult, so as others have suggested going bigger may not be a bad idea.

I may have gone overboard, and I don't think the likeness is any better (also, Farrah Fawcett hair  :D), but I hope this edit helps you see what I'm talking about. Something I like that you did is outline the outside of her eye with a much darker color; such a little thing did shape the eye quite a bit. I tried to do the same thing, but it didn't look right. The size of the eyes is a personal thing; they looked alright two pixels high, but another pixel kinda captured her 'look' a little better to me. Depends on what features you want to emphasize.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 03:31:00 pm
Wow, thanks Bissle!

Actually, it might not be noticeable but I'm increasing the size little by little. I've tried on a bigger canvas but I think it's bit overbearing as it gets a lot more difficult (I've only been at pixel art for a few months). So I was thinking increasing the size little by little as I become more comfortable with working out details. Maybe it's not a good idea however.

About the skin, I just honestly don't understand how it works. It's not that I don't want to, I'm just having a hard time making the whole thing more readable. From the tutorials I've read, increasing contrast should make things more readable but I think I still don't grasp that concept just yet.

Anyhow, I'll double the size for my next attempt and see how it goes.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 11:27:48 pm
One thing you could do is open up the reference photo in whatever program you use, copy some of the colors, and mess around with them in your portrait until you find a combo that looks good. Reducing the depth of the photo would make that even easier.

Actually the lighter colors from your last edit would be a good start, maybe combined with some of the darker colors on your newest one. Also, add more volume to the hair. Your attempts from your first post were better in that regard. Maybe the subject's hair is not that thick, but at least add a darker shade between her hair and her neck to indicate she has hair in the back, too. ;)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Re: First Portrait Ever: CnC please [Nudity]

Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 04:21:09 pm
Alright, here we go again. I honestly think it's loads better although the hair is still very flat. Tear it apart guys  :y:.

Before: after:

(yeah, it's not exactly double size but it's certainly bigger!)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:29:25 pm by Zizka »

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 11:27:26 pm
My, are you guys ever quiet!  ;D

Meanwhile, here's a skull to entertain you lot:

Before: After:

If you'd like to criticize either, you're more than welcome  ;)

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 04:07:45 pm
Hohoho, somebody's been reading up on anatomy. ;) The skin is much better, though the lemon-yellow blonde still isn't working for me.

Work more on utilizing your lights and darks. Another thing I recommend is reducing the color depth of the reference pic; it will allow you to get a good feel for for the volume, to see what pops out, etc.

Definitely do not depend on this tactic every time, but it can help if you're really struggling.

I started working on a edit; it took way longer than expected. Just to show I also have issues with contrast, I posted what I started with. I almost uploaded the first by itself before thinking, "Wait, that is ugly; it's not gonna help at all", and did some more work on it.

As far as the skulls, while the right one is better constructed, I kinda like the colors on the first one better.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:20:49 pm by Bissle »

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 09:50:36 pm
Ok, thanks for the comments on the skulls (it was just to practice anatomy).

Alright, it's been a while, so...:

Before: After:

I've tried to use the new photograph and Bissle's edits for this version. I think she kind of looks older this time around though (and a bit retarded, might be the upper lip which I removed). I changed quite a few things but I thing the best additions is the hair behind the head and the larger neck.

I think I've made a mistake with the cheeks and that's why she's looking a bit odd this time around. Eyes might be too close to one another.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 10:31:16 am
Certainly an improvement. There are a few reasons I can think of for why she may look old:

• The lack of sclera makes her eyes look either bloodshot or deeply hooded. The subject's eyes actually are hooded, but not to the extent that it would obscure the sclera.
  • The darker outline under the eyes. The same hand-drawing principle of hard lines aging a face applies to pixel art, too. Keep in mind that all of the edits in this thread have tried to avoid that.
  • Her cheeks and nose are outlined similarly, giving the impression of wrinkles.
  • The shading is still kind of rough, adding creases and bumps that a younger woman would not likely have.
  • In general, while the colors have improved, the combination lacks the "luster" that a young person's skin would have.
  • The removal of the top lip, yes. I wouldn't call it absolutely necessary to include, but you could definitely at least suggest the top lip.

Her eyes, yeah that is going to be a struggle. I went back and forth on how to appropriate the width of her eyes when I was editing, but couldn't get it to work.

Good progress in any case: you're getting better with anatomy and proportions, and she is beginning to look more like the subject. In general, keep playing around with colors, reduce the palette (I think that tan color in the area between her eyes and cheeks hurts the piece), and smooth out the shading. Keep it up!