AuthorTopic: Colors and textures  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Lóng

• Sometimes the scary spider is just a pile of dust.
    • View Profile

Colors and textures

on: July 21, 2012, 06:16:11 pm
Been working on this for a while and am pretty much stuck on the coloring/texturing departement.

Any thought/general advice is appreciated aswell.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:01:04 am by Lóng »

Offline gustavodourado

• gustavodourado.deviantart
    • View Profile

Re: Colors and textures

Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 06:53:36 pm
i love the fur textures and how you did the tail but i dint like the color of the pants(But its just my opinion)
i am the worst pixel artist ever

Offline Lóng

• Sometimes the scary spider is just a pile of dust.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:00:21 am
Appreciate your thoughts, regarding the pants' colors, I don't even know wether I like them or not,

I was hoping with this topic among other things to maybe get closer to grasping what hue choices do to a piece/ what quality they indroduce, value and saturation define volumes and add depth to a piece, its just hue that seems to be arbitrary choosable to me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:06:05 am by Lóng »

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:39:03 am
To get a more textured look you need more shades and more contrast.

It's important to watch the luminosity (the perceived lightness), light is build up of red, green and blue componets. Green is perceived brighter than Red+Blue (Magenta), Red is perceived brighter than Blue and pure Blue is  perceived quite dark. So in order of luminance: White (Green+Red+Blue), Yellow (Green+Red), Cyan (Green+Blue), Green, Magenta (Red+Blue), Red, Blue, Black
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:42:40 am by Mr. Beast »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:26:30 pm

edit, keeping it within your style and mood, not the only approach but hopefully helps you along. contrasting each garment to clearly seperate his elements

some sound suggestions from Mr. Beast but he looks bored/like he's falling asleep in that edit, and the handle of the foreground blade is hard to read, I can only assume it's a cool metallic reflection but it doesn't read as such, I believe the monochrome nature of the clothing isn't the most compelling choice either, and the angle of the background blade looks bizarre in relation to the handle, the shadow tone of the pants doesn't ramp very convincingly either, relatively nice colour choices otherwise, some suggestions and further editing (and having some fun on the end, with rather rushed colour choice)

^-speaking of 'luminosity' (these greyscales are raw (mathematically calculated) luminosity which isn't strictly as accurate as perceptual), there are a few ways to calculate and gauge the brightness,
one method if you are using a multi layer program is to create a layer of solid black or anything with 0 saturation, and using the layer influence mode saturation, flicking it on and off as you work with the colours to judge your colour choice is the quickest way to gauge,I've only really done it with digital paintings though but raw values are for the most part really useful and you can easily identify when it's not perceptually correct. Greyscaling the image depending on the program will sometimes try to use a lighting model of some description to get averages for the greyscale value, and most programs have desaturate parameters like luminosity or simple value, and also an average of the parameters which is often pretty accurate perceptually.

as for more guidance you should try describe or atleast stop and think for yourself what style and mood you are trying to capture with your colours, and if elaborated we could offer much more directed critique. the colour scheme itself brightness values aside isn't too bad by itself but looks rather like unmixed paints, and you don't necessarily need to make it darker like in the edits either, is this by itself? or are you planning to integrate it into a composition? if you are then a rough colour choice not more complicated than what you've already done is ideal and then when you have your scene you can figure out the lighting and mood and ambient colours etc

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 10:26:31 pm
That is not the luminosity, there is a big difference between what the computer calculates as the value of a color and and how humans perceives them. You can get darker colors without decreasing the value at all, just by changing the hue or saturation.

There is usually no layer setup to get a view of the luminance, but often the applications have a Filter for that. In GIMP thats Colors->Desaturate with "Luminance" as parameter.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:34:43 pm by Mr. Beast »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 04:26:27 am
Quote from: Mr. Beast
That is not the luminosity, there is a big difference between what the computer calculates as the value of a color and and how humans perceives them. You can get darker colors without decreasing the value at all, just by changing the hue or saturation.
did you read what I typed? are you contradicting me for the sake of it? I went out of my way to already point out it is not accurately perceptual and to strike a balance and to rely on your eyes and how using value based greyscaling and averages are equally if not more useful than solely one or the either, and yes all those greyscales in the above post were luminosity....

and personally I prefer the accuracy of other methods but I used those in that example because of your mention... everything you just said is redundant, and you are perpetuating a misuse of a term now...

Quote from: Mr. Beast
There is usually no layer setup to get a view of the luminance, but often the applications have a Filter for that. In GIMP thats Colors->Desaturate with "Luminance" as parameter.
if you actually read my post you'll notice I said exactly that... but using the correct term luminosity, Luminance is an entirely different principle and completely irrelevant do some research if you do not believe me... the brightness of an LCD's backlighting is measured in luminance not any of the principles of colour displayed on it, and Luminance is also used to measure how bright a reflective object is when at the different angles for instance a mirror has far more luminance when shone directly into your own or someone else's face.

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 11:39:41 am
ehrm... sorry... I am a non-native speaker. It seems I have misinterpreted your post.  :-X