AuthorTopic: cowboy main character sprite  (Read 10018 times)

Offline r1k

• View Profile

cowboy main character sprite

on: July 20, 2012, 11:45:30 am
I started a zelda like game yesterday where you be a cowboy, and Im trying to make the characters sprite.

I tried 3 styles: black outline, colored outline, no outline using flat shapes.  The sprites are 16*32
so far I like the colored outline version but I think it still could be better.  Trying to make sure it looks alright on different backgrounds and not sure about the colors yet.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: cowboy main character sprite

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 12:37:11 pm
Probably controversial, but I actually like the black outlined version the most.  Gives the character a bit of attitude and more unique style somehow.. Could experiment with darker shading if you're set on not using the outlines?

Like the bottom one too, seems like he'll be the easiest to animate, so you could have some real nice smooth animations.

Pretty equal on the colour schemes. The lime green seems a bit more unusual, so I kinda like that on the outlined version, but the green in the bottom set doesn't have enough contrast, so I prefer the blue one there. 

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 12:50:25 am
IM gonna go with the blue jacket for now.  The no outline sprites are interesting but Im not sure I could get them to work on all backgrounds.
I made 2 new versions

left: darker colored outlines and higher contrast shading edit:oops I deleted the image with that version
right: same but with black outlines.

I think Im gonna stick with the one on the right unless anyone has critiques on it, cause it pops really well against the background.  I think Im going to try the side view one now.

I did a walk animation for down in the first black outline style but Im going to redo it to give him more character, something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwGIfuJickQ

edit: I added sideview sprite.  Made 2 versions for the legs.  The wide stance version seems maybe less interesting but also makes him seem more ready for action, so Im not sure which is better.
Also tried a rough version for back view, really need some help here.
Tried the backview hat on the front view to see if it would enhance top down perspective
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:32:12 am by r1k »

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 04:14:41 am
Awwww!! He's so cute! ^-^
The little tiny cowboy with his little tiny hat and his little tiny gun thinks he's so tough!!
Yah..Thats... probably not the reaction you were going for but... what can I say...
I can totally see this little guy pulling out his (little tiny ;D) gun and going all badass on someone! I really can't wait till you animate him!

Your probably right about the black outlines working better against the backgrounds but I'd have to see some backgrounds to know for sure. Also from far away the second version of the legs looks a little smoother but I'm no expert for what would be better in game. After I zoom in though I can't decide what seems better. I'm not quite sure how to help with the back view exept that his vest should probably go all the way around back and that his pants seem to be pulled up a bit to high.

I hope you add some more characters too! He needs a wacky sidekick and some fine lady to be sweet on. :-*
Good luck!!!! Srry for the lack of much useful critique. Oh, and he could use a horse. No... A STALLION!!

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 05:04:27 am
well I tried to animate the down sprite but it sucks, looks more like hes trying to line dance or iceskate or something

but I did a few small modifications I think its a bit better now
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 05:06:41 am by r1k »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 06:49:54 am
I feel like you need a few more frames to properly convey the movement you seem to be going for, probably.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 10:56:50 am
He looks a bit like he's dancing. and also you made it so the right arm and leg go forward at the same time. Usually in a walk cycle, the lef and arm of the same side alternate, so it the leg is going forward the arm is going back and vice-versa.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 11:39:37 am
his hands are supposed to be on his belt buckles/holsters, so I think the hand would go foreward with the leg, right?  Anyways heres a 3rd try

and a little mock up I did (obviously rough, not looking for critique now)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 06:56:29 pm
I didnt get that his hand where on the belt. this new version sells that idea a lot better!
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 01:55:34 am
Im trying to make the other directions confrom to the perspective of the down sprite now.  Heres what I have