AuthorTopic: Multicart mockup project  (Read 10049 times)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Multicart mockup project

on: July 20, 2012, 10:41:49 am
Hi all,

Thanks all for the amazing feedback on my last little game project!  (Was away at the time, didn't wanna necro the thread, but it's here if you missed it)

I wanted to start a new fun project with you guys (this thread could possibly be moved into challenges and activities?), where we all make mini game mock-ups (and any accompanying graphics/notes) to one set of restrictions and I compile them into a kind of fake multi-cart game or maybe a wario-ware type game, where they're all linked somehow? 

Restrictions:
Native resolution: 320x192
Palette:  16 colours

Include any additional graphics/animations and notes you like.

Might take me a while to put together, so any ideas TOO ambitious may be simplified, but let's just have fun and see what we come up with. 

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Multicart mockup project

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:20:40 pm
Sounds fun!  :)
I love super simple game design.

Some questions:
You mention Wario-Ware. (which is totally bad ass, I like Twisted the most)
Are you thinking micro game style, 5 seconds of play, or just something very simple you can play for as long as you like and then switch?
What I mean is should TIME be a major factor we need to consider? (Of course time is an easy mechanic to force onto almost anything already done).
Is there a recurring character in mind, like wario, to be shown in many styles?
Or should we use our avatars? <-- I think would be awesome.
Or just whatever?

I shall return with something.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:26:22 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 07:46:23 pm
All good questions!  I was thinking of something relatively simple, but possibly slightly more like the Retro Game Challenge (aka Game Center CX) games than Wario in scope. Those are more like actual NES games, but you do mini challenges from within them. I guess we can treat them relatively individual at first then see what we can do with them once we've got a couple!

No specific recurring characters, using our Avatar's a great idea, though!  Not mandatory though (not feasible for some avatars!)   ;D

Offline nivek

• Custom Brawl!
    • View Profile
    • Toastylinks

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:39:28 am
Should put this in the activity thread. I was thinking of a little car game where your aim is to smash all cars around the track. Here is a rough design I came up with:

I didn't put much detail into the image just in case you didn't like the idea. Also hope you're good with physics and camera stuff.  

Inspiration: Playing V8 supercars in free mode and aim was do the most spectacular crash. You had to be think about how you did this because if you drive the wrong way on the course it would usually end up with your car flying off the track and ending the game(would be a pretty cool crash though). Sometimes the car would survive and you would drive it into the pits and do it all over again.  :crazy:

I'll fix up the graphics if you agree. What platform is this for anyways?

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:02:36 am
Great idea, I'd use my avatar as my character but then it'd be a pony game and I'm not sure how cool you'd be with that :P  But if you are then I'd say cool, I'd submit a game concept/mockup/needed elements.  If you need any help bringing the coding aspect along, I'd be glad to pitch in some programming labor as needed :D

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 10:20:19 am
Should put this in the activity thread. I was thinking of a little car game where your aim is to smash all cars around the track. Here is a rough design I came up with:

I didn't put much detail into the image just in case you didn't like the idea. Also hope you're good with physics and camera stuff.  

Sounds good!  Will need 8 directions of cars both normal and damaged, and the full background image?  Physics I'm not sure - but we can definitely make it fun! 

I'll fix up the graphics if you agree. What platform is this for anyways?

I'll make a Flash version and a windows downloadable version. 

Great idea, I'd use my avatar as my character but then it'd be a pony game and I'm not sure how cool you'd be with that :P  But if you are then I'd say cool, I'd submit a game concept/mockup/needed elements.

Sure why not!  As long as it's not a copyrighted thing anyway.

If you need any help bringing the coding aspect along, I'd be glad to pitch in some programming labor as needed :D

Know anything about physics?   :crazy:  I'll give you a shout if there's anything I get stuck on! 

Offline nivek

• Custom Brawl!
    • View Profile
    • Toastylinks

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 09:15:36 am
Here are the 8 directions:

And the damaged 8 directions:

So you're developing for Computers. Controls would just be the arrow keys then.

Physics does not have to be realistic. Maybe just for the crashes. We could have an over the top physics thing that would make the cars fly up and out of the track whenever they get smashed by a fast moving car.

Here is what the track is going to look like(Complete Version):

There is a bit of shading on the green car. The whole image of the track will not be shown in game. The camera will be zoomed in on the track where the player's car is.

Edit 29/07/12: Ignore the Combo 7 text on the top right. I was practising some Fonts. I would also appreciate it if you could give me feedback on how the track looks.

@Grimsane - Potential baddie? :
:lol:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:01:09 am by nivek »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 12:38:05 pm

premise, you need to carry an egg around on your magic tongue without dropping it, and reach the fabled egg holder? mystical egg spoon? or maybe return it to it's nest :lol:

but nah I'll flesh something proper out, I am so in on this ;D

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 03:41:44 pm

premise, you need to carry an egg around on your magic tongue without dropping it, and reach the fabled egg holder? mystical egg spoon? or maybe return it to it's nest :lol:

but nah I'll flesh something proper out, I am so in on this ;D

No, you definitely should continue on this instead of picking something else, it's absolutely hilarious  :lol:

@RikFuzz: As for copyrighted stuff, as long as I make some sort of OC then there's no legal problems with Hasbro, but if I keep Scootaloo then there might be potential problems.  Looks like OC it is.   And as for Physics, I can only assume that these games would require knowledge of only Newtonian physics and not Einsteinian Physics, so I should know enough :lol:.  Won't be taking high school physics until next year but I've already completed a college book on the matter so hopefully that should be good.

As for ideas of what I should do... I already made a pony game before that was like Robot Unicorn Attack so I'd prefer not to do that again :P I'm thinking to be more creative this time and maybe go for something like "<pony> is throwing a party and needs to keep <his/her> patrons happy" and the pony needs to keep collecting cake and giving it to party-goers, while making sure the balloons are all filled up all the time (maybe some super-leaky balloons that only hold air for 20 seconds :P) and other misc. distractions and the longer you go the more distractions to deal with and the harder they are to deal with.  Definitely should draw up some concept sprites and such today  ;D

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 07:52:50 pm
Heh, Grimsane, the character in your screenshot, before I read the description, looked like someone smoking a pipe. It seems like a great idea for a game character. A pipe smoking ladykiller swagger!

Erm...nm.