AuthorTopic: A thank you to the community.  (Read 5669 times)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

A thank you to the community.

on: July 17, 2012, 09:14:48 am
Not sure if this is the right place to post this.  :)

Recently, though, I've been overcome with this feeling of delight whilst browsing these forums. You people are awesome, seriously. I just want to say thank you to everyone who helps out around here.

I feel like it's one of the greatest things to watch a struggling new artist or pixel artist come here asking for advice or seeking help and having dozens of selfless members come to their help, some devoting hours or even days of their time. And through that advice, watching the novice artist bloom into something much greater, gaining understanding and skill they might not have gained without your/our help.

I remember my own threads from years ago before I had even discovered the inner artist in myself. I'm not sure if I would have ever pursued pixel art / art in general as far as I have without this community's help.

I just want to say everyone to keep being the kind and helpful people that you are.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Re: A thank you to the community.

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:26:25 am
I've only been around for a short while, but I second this big time.  There are a lot of profound pixel artists around here, many of them with commercial experience, who give up hours of time to help others improve.  And boy, if someone is willing to learn, they'll make you learn.

Pixelation is great!  I'll just follow Dr D's suit and say thanks for being kind and helpful.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:11:07 am
when I released my first DS game, some pals on homebrew-coding forum said "hey, looks like you've not been wasting your time on Pixelation". Some critics weren't easy to take, esp. at the start, but facing seasoned artist' edits definitely pushed me towards better quality.

Thanks too.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:56:18 pm
Stuff like this is always nice to hear and we generally aim to keep the atmosphere around here pleasant (if strict in the art forums). Glad you enjoy it here. :)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:14:23 pm
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 05:09:24 pm
I've always felt that these forums are a great example of how a community should be managed. The mods are fair, but more importantly they're transparent--I like to see something happen and instead of everything being censored/kept in the shadows they will outright tell you how you fucked up and let everyone else see. Not only that, mods are a decent set of people that sound like the kind of guys you'd sit down and have a drink with and have a good time.

It's just a pity that most people who become mods disappear soon afterwards.

Now regardless of how the forums are run, you'd be hard-pressed to find any assholes floating about here and when you do they are quickly put into place.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 08:30:15 am
Not to pat our own ass too much, but I've seen a lot of art communities come and go over the years and the main difference I've seen to Pixelation is in the atmosphere. Snark is rewarded in most places of the internet as if it's - if not outight vital - at the least a necessary evil. I've been of the opinion, since the beginning, that irony and backhanded remarks create an atmosphere hostile to critique. Most places on the internet do not moderate against irony, but we do with the "don't be an ass" clause, which is open-ended. A lot of more relaxed art fora do not survive the constant drama bombs that occur when the snark residue builds up and everyone gets catty. A critique board should have a conductive atmosphere to critique. People should be able to post without being judged for their art to be scrutinized.

As to mods disappearing, it is unfortunate, but what else can we (older admins) do but make new mods and hope they don't disappear, eventually? I realize that ultimately, the best way for a new mod crew to stick is for the old crew to stand down. People like Facet or Grimshane in my opinion could easily take over Pix when Sven dies in an unfortunate gardening freak accident or my kitties claw out my eyes. But until then... it's not like there's so much work to do on Pixelation in an administrative level, it's an easy place to keep tidy. The big thing I expect from mods is actually critique of quality, showing a good example. There's wonderful users around that understand how pix works very fast and post great critique whom I'd like to mod eventually, but I can't really require of them to keep posting that type of critique for years on end, people have lives. So I appreciate anyone who has ever posted good critique on pix and wish them the best when they stop being active on the boards. Hopefully when the current administration suffers their cruel karmic fates, people will step up and keep the critique perpetual.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:04:46 am
A ditto from here, too. Pixelation is an awesome place and I've gotten some great critique that has pushed my pixel art technique, and the concepts of my art in general. I wouldn't be where I am artistically without the help of members of this forum.

To name drop, Facet, pixelpiledriver, and grismane (don't know if you're new, but definitely more active as of late) are some of the new blood peeps here at pixelation that have upped the level of critique abillionfold. It's also nice to see older guys such as kclc here as well.

Don't worry helm and ptoing, after you're dead we will cut up your brains into extremely tiny cubes, scan them, and upload the information directly into the forum so you can moderate forever. I'm sure you'd like that. <3

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 05:26:34 pm
Quote from: Helm&Ryumaru
Grimshane | grismane

Love how you guys misspelt my username  :'(  ;D

although I haven't personally received too much in the way of critique that which I have has been much appreciated, I think that from the other side if we have enough knowledge to help I feel compelled to do so giving such critique can only be to the benefit of other artists (not only the ones receiving the critique, but other's watching taking notes) and I know how fickle motivation can be sometimes and seeing other people put time into helping you push something further, give you ideas and generally motivate you, is invaluable and am honoured if even a third of my own critique has that effect.

I greatly admire the sense of community and comradeship on the boards and things like CC and the contents of the feature chest exemplify reasons I'm drawn here over other communities, and could probably cite my brief encounter when I first registered as a big shot to the arm in way of motivation and inspiration in pursuing pixel art further

I agree with everyone's words and sentiment, and am honoured to have my name dropped <3 and hope that pixelation stays strong

Quote from: Helm
when Sven dies in an unfortunate gardening freak accident or my kitties claw out my eyes.
like how you say when not if :lol: and I'd gladly step up without hesitation in such an occurrence.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 07:37:53 pm
excuse that, you look like a Grimshane.