AuthorTopic: Some Icons  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile

Some Icons

on: July 12, 2012, 04:25:46 pm
Hey there. Im new here and i want to show you some of my icons i made

if you want to use anything of this you can do it.
Tell me what you are thinking about this.
(sorry for bad grammar)

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Re: Some Icons

Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:59:53 pm
Hard to call most of these "pixel art", per se; many of them look like they're index-painted.  Mostly because of the rather high color count.  A better explaination of what Index Painting is and what's the difference between it and pixel art: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=13866.0

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:36:04 pm
i still dont know what index-painted means but ok. I just want to create good / nearly HD icons

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 06:01:33 pm
Index means that you have a set limited amount of colours. Pixelart has an index usually. The general limit is 256 colours, but for most pixelart people use less. A lot less.

This is an Image by a french Demoscener who went by the handle Ra.

This uses 256ish colours, long ramps. And this is what you call indexed painting. You set up your colours beforehand and then you work from there, using tools like tinting, darken/lighten, some blur, and so on. There is still a lot of pixel level control, but not as much as in what we would call pixelart usually.

Yours is not index painting, seeing as it has 7000+ colours. I reckon you did this in Photoshop or some similar paint packaged and ignored the pixel level detail in most cases. Also HD does not mean A LOT OF COLOURS necessarily. It means High Definition, as in High Resolution. These look like they are perhaps 24x24 pixels or so each. That is hardly HD. At a size like this every pixel counts. And things like contrast are very important.

On quite a few of them the red background colour fights with the icon. Most notably with the 2 bottom left saw sword things. Red tends to push itself into the foreground, blue receeds. The red and greys have very close perceptive values, so the eye finds it hard to focus on them.

All of these would benefit from less colours, better colours, and better contrast. Some of them are also quite different styles. Like the ones with the relatively harsh outlines in some places.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:22:06 pm
oh, well ty. All these icons where made with paint.net using the brush tool and with transparency

Offline Siapran

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 10:09:47 pm
first, remember this: "the gradient tool is evil"