AuthorTopic: GR#107 - Aurora Poster - Text, Composition, Animation  (Read 14752 times)

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Re: Aurora poster

Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 07:19:42 pm
the girl pose looks unbalanced, mostly the legs need some fix, :p, everything else looks excepcional.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:55:06 pm
I'll take Halffish's legs over Helm's. The lighting on OP's matches the style and composition of the piece more. Helm's legs also look too chunky, in my opinion. Most Japanese girls I've seen are very slender. =)
Also, am I imagining it, or are the knees on Helm's edit about four inches lower than they should be? The lower legs look noticeably shorter than the upper legs in the edit, in my opinion...PPP's edit might be a bit more accurate, but I'm still liking the original the most, for the general feel of it...
I do like Helm's AA work, though. The piece could do with a bit of polish, though it looks great as-is!

Anyway, this piece is pretty gorgeous overall. Welcome (back?) to the forums, Halffish!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:57:02 pm by jams0988 »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 01:41:10 pm

Also, am I imagining it, or are the knees on Helm's edit about four inches lower than they should be?

Anyway, I do not see how my edit classifies as 'chub chub' but that's up to taste. The point I wanted to make more than anything is that knees exist and what PPP explained much better about resorting to the usual darker under knee leg shading thing on straight legs does not work.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 03:11:55 pm
I combined Helm's AA tip, Cyangmou's text edit, and your hint of oakaki vibe into an edit of my own.  I think it preserves the sharpness you were going for, while cleaning up some of the oakaki scribble to make an overall cleaner image.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:15:23 pm by Friend »

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 07:17:53 pm
Anyway, I do not see how my edit classifies as 'chub chub' but that's up to taste. The point I wanted to make more than anything is that knees exist and what PPP explained much better about resorting to the usual darker under knee leg shading thing on straight legs does not work.
Huh. The length really is correct. It's strange, though. When I look at the side by side of yours and fish's, yours still seems too short. I guess I need to study more!
And your edit didn't look chubby to me as a realistic person, just as an anime character. I think the overly slender tube-legs suit the style here more, is all. Like you say, up to taste.

Offline Stab

• I'M WILLOWS!
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 11:18:52 pm
(@James0988)

Is it possible that anime tends to intentionally force/break/exaggerate proportions in a specific way that you've become accustomed to, so a female anime character with normal proportions seems out of place because of it? I mean, anime is practically made on the fact that it pushes everything beyond reality to form some sort of pleasant aesthetic... it stands to reason that anime actually has some superhuman degree of "anime normal" proportion that most anime followers will recognize.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 06:12:30 am
nice poster, and some great feedback.

I don't think there is anything wrong with helm's edit and each leg on their own is fine, but I don't think he went out of his way to change/fix some fundamental flaws with the source, and as an example of alternate rendering it serves great purpose

a run down of what I can see is that the hip tilt is slightly off compared to the shoulder tilt, her left leg is tilted far too outward, and her right leg's knee doesn't line up parallel to her other knee when you regard the leg's length from the hip, I'm finding it's a really difficult thing to correct all up but here's my attempt and suggestion, it's not fixed, also it points out another issue with his leg which no one's brought up.

<moar attempt gah fail  :yell:, it's even worse

very paul robertson style sprites, unless you are paul robertson?  ???  :lol:

Offline halffish

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 08:50:01 am
Thanks for all the great feedback, its helping a lot!
Helm's edit is the most accurate of all, but maybe could thin the upper thigh a little bit (either that or the skirt is way too high) as long as the thighs never appear too touch. I do want to go for that highly stylized anime look, without being too careless with anatomy. But not as close to Greek/western proportions.

SNSD? http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23700000/SNSD-kpop-23773639-1600-1066.jpg

I quite like the reversed gradation from dark to light downwards actually.

As for Paul Robertson -- I'm flattered but obviously no where near his caliber. He is a inspiration at least for some of the sprites (again first time for black outlines and first time for dithering). The style of the music video is a throwback to retro gaming, and of course with that Scott Pilgrim comes to mind as well.

<\-<

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:59:34 am by halffish »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 01:07:38 pm
Actually I do think the problem is that the skirt is too high. Hm, the female sprite needs to be restructured from the ground up based on the bodytype reference you've supplied. Mostly in the interests of learning though because what you have in your image is fine as it is. But if you want to better your anatomy, it would help as a sideproject to do some structural female drawing. Tell me if you want my help in that detour, otherwise I think you've gotten a lot of critique on most parts of the image I can think of would take extra care, you could work on those.