AuthorTopic: Warcraft 2/Starcraft style sprites [CC please]  (Read 6520 times)

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

Warcraft 2/Starcraft style sprites [CC please]

on: July 11, 2012, 05:14:35 am
Here are some sprites i've been working on and I could use some critique here.  I intend to use these to create a mockup for an isometric RTS that I'm creating. Thanks for stopping by!
Any other advice you could give me for the project is welcome as well.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:20:48 pm by xanthier »
For this, a long time have I waited.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Warcraft 2/Starcraft style sprites [CC please]

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 10:01:44 pm
no replies!?
these look cool.
one thing I notice, is a lot of them, their shading is very gradual, which might be a style thing, but maybe you can experiment more with harder shadows and finding the edges to the planes that make up their forms.

Offline Chris Burrows

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 02:10:17 am
They look great, are you coding the game yourself? I play a lot of Warcraft 2. If you need a programmer let me know.

Offline Stab

• I'M WILLOWS!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:01:14 am
It miiight be worth taking a bit more note of how Warcraft and Starcraft pay very close attention to visually separating the different units so that they are unmistakable from one another at a glance. Though there aren't any obvious offenders right now, some of your unit types seem to be reasonably close to each other in how they "read". Particularly worth looking at in terms of Warcraft visual design is the variety of creatures they gave to each "race" to allow for diverse silhouettes and instantly readable character types. In other words, though it's technically Orcs versus Humans, Warcraft 2 plays out a heck of a lot more like Humans/elves/dwarves/gnomes/gryphons/machines versus Orcs/trolls/ogres/skeletons/liches/dragons/turtles/machines... and even in the "humanoid" types, the diversity is enormous.

This is just a general thought and not something that NEEDS to be heeded. I originally started posting because I want to say that these look fantastic and I can picture almost every single one of them having a specific function in battle. It gets me excited to play it... pity it doesn't exist yet! :P Keep going! They look awesome.