AuthorTopic: Cartoony styled dude for a game walking right...  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Noobinator

• View Profile

Cartoony styled dude for a game walking right...

on: June 14, 2006, 03:52:41 pm
Yeah this is a quick animation of a dude I drew with a gun walking right, I would be very grateful for any comments and crits or edits that you may give...

Offline Noobinator

• View Profile

Re: Cartoony styled dude for a game walking right...

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:25:37 pm
Added a flying pig as an enemy...probably also representing the chances of this game ever being finished...

Offline Skalle

• Skalle
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 02:12:02 pm
Hey there. I made a quick edit to show some things I think could be improved on this.

yours

edit (not animated)

So here is what I think:
The feet looks a little too much like balloons. Maybe it is the style you want, but I changed it in the edit. About your colors, I think that they were a little too dark, and there was too little contrast. I didn't change the contrast too much though, but you should experiment with it. Also, I changed most of the black outlines to colored outlines, because that often looks better. I think that his jacket had some gradient shading too so I changed that; try to not use gradient shading. I made his white shirt red but nevermind that. Some things that I didn't show in the edit: First of all, the coloring and shading of the pig. I recommend that you never use dithering in sprites, partly because I don't like it, and because it removes contrast ,(also it might be hard to animate, especially in more complex and bigger sprites). I think there should be another shade of grey on the wings. The grey used on the wings now I think should be used as the outline for the wings instead of black.

And short about animations:
These are cool animations, and congrats on making them so good because it would really be too bothersome for many people to do that. The walking animation I think could have smaller steps, right now they are almost like he's running. About the pig, I don't think it should fly so much up and down in the cycle, and perhaps you should try making the cycle faster, but it's nothing big.

Even if you don't make a game out of this, I think it is good practice to draw sprites and animate them. Well done. Remember to keep practiding, and with every picture you make you will become better :)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 02:14:56 pm
Is that Duke Nukem?  ;D

The pig's animation is pretty good actually, it gets the job done. The dude on the other hand could use some work. Right now he isn't walking, it's more of a Jumping Jack on ice. I'd suggest adding more frames (3 more should be enough) and to look up some tutorials on walk cycles (there are quite a few). Since he's the main character you'll want to go that extra mile in getting him "right", since he's the character the players will be looking at the most.

Offline Noobinator

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 01:59:09 pm
Thanks for the comments, I changed the main guys walk cycle, by editing the feet and the position of the legs and added a few more frames...I kept the black outline because I felt that they added to the cartoony stylee of the dude. I might change the outlines for the pig however since I used lighter colours for the pig and the  black ones make him look flatish...

So yeah this is what I have now...

Any more comments and constructive critisism would be nice please...

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 03:19:23 pm
I believe the correct term is "Pigasus" ;)

The pig's tail needs to be outlined like the rest of it. The third-from-left leg on the pig does a little "blink" thing that is really wierd. Other than that he looks good (though for such a small sprite I'd lose some dithering and increase the contrast, maybe add shadows to give the pig some volume instead of making him look like a left-to-right gradient).

The guy's walk cycle is *much* better now. But his upper body is completely stiff. Consider how a real person walks: their body sort of rotates along with their hips as one leg moves in front of the other (study the walk cycles around here and you'll see what I mean).

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 06:27:34 pm
The main problem with your walk cycle is that there's no bending of the knees going on.  Also you use the idle stance in the animation, in a real walk you never come to point where both your feet are on the ground side by side.  Here's an edit:

It would also help if you read about keyframes: http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml

and yes add some torso twist action.

Offline Noobinator

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 07:46:20 pm
Thanks for the comments about the pig, I'll be sure to edit that and post it again, however the dudes legs I am fairly happy with because I think it fits in with the style i was attempting to achieve.

Although the legs in the edit are extrememly good, I feel that legs in that style  would be out of place in this sprite...

On advice about the hips moving, I am wondering how I would achieve that, because the dudes right arm is covering up the hips from view...

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 08:30:47 pm
The style of my edit here is unimportant.  Look at the motion of the legs.