AuthorTopic: [WIP]Nivek's Unfinished Sketches  (Read 9563 times)

Offline nivek

• Custom Brawl!
    • View Profile
    • Toastylinks

[WIP]Nivek's Unfinished Sketches

on: July 10, 2012, 02:41:02 am
Here is a piece that I started on a few days back. I used a whole lot of references off google images(search for Monica Dark Chronicle). The piece isn't quite finished yet, so I would like some help with that. Please avoid editing the whole image because I also want to learn and I might steal your edited image :hehe:.

Here is the image:

Too lazy to do the hands.

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Nivek's Unfinished Sketches

Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:27:50 am

Anime or not, check face proportions. Reuse colors. Increase contrast.

A shade of yellow can be used as a highlight shade for a brown. Look into Anti-Aliasing. It'll make the transitions less harsh.

Offline nivek

• Custom Brawl!
    • View Profile
    • Toastylinks

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:20:37 am
Thanks for the edit StaticSails. I totally forgot about the highlights. :blind:

Here is an update:

I AA'd the outline of Monica and did a few tweaks. I'm not totally satisfied with the image though. My main concerns are the hair, neck shading, and the mouth at the moment.

Here is something I started on while waiting for a reply:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:26:15 am by nivek »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:21:01 am

Some things to try:
Reduce the amount of lines inside the character and only use dark lines for major overlaps, outer edges, etc.
Add lighting based on surface normal instead of edges. Think in 3D.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:49:35 am
In addition to PixelPiledriver's excellent advice and edit, the eyes on yours look kinda freaky right now because the white is visible all around the iris. People don't really keep their eyes that wide open normally.

Offline nivek

• Custom Brawl!
    • View Profile
    • Toastylinks

Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 02:34:29 am
Thankyou very much for that awesome edit PixelPileDriver.  :y:

Here is the update:

Didn't think I would do the hands right now but your edit inspired me to do the complete body. I got rid of the dark lines. and tried to add the lighting and shading. I'm not finished though. Maybe a couple more tweaks should do. Your edit is so much better though   :yell:.

@Cupcake I'll keep tweaking the eyes.

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 05:43:04 am
I think you need to fix the proportions alittle, unless she's a cute dwarf.
maybe something like this (very quick and dirty):

"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 11:25:37 am
rather rough edit

to illustrate the proportions you had can be fine if you work on it, it's a style choice so I wouldn't recommend changing the proportions that drastically if that's not what you wanted to achieve.

and PixelPiledriver's edit has alot of good principles, you'll notice he kept similar proportions, but notice he enlarged the character to allow more pixels to refine the features, and that's a good piece of advice, it's difficult to capture the right curves and to define features at lower sizes. also I recommend finding and using some reliable reference on the sword holding hand, at the moment the hand is incredibly awkward, and PP has illustrated an effective approach more dynamic and easier to execute because you do not need to worry about fingers, and the resulting angle of the sword is more dynamic, but in some senses it is a bit more difficult to render the dagger at that angle, notice his use of colours to reinforce the tilt/angle

big step up on the shading compared to the first attempt, I think the hair needs a bit off work too, looks like short hair and a ponytail and doesn't quite match, I didn't offer any visual suggestions in my edit but PPs edit again is good reference. the non pony tail hair is mostly bangs and establishing the hair is flowing toward the pony tail

keep persevering :)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 10:37:51 pm
nivek, can i make a video of me editing your image?

Offline nivek

• Custom Brawl!
    • View Profile
    • Toastylinks

Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 07:24:10 am
@Alex - I'd be honoured but only if you share the video.

Here is an update with a few tweaks:

I think you need to fix the proportions alittle, unless she's a cute dwarf.
maybe something like this (very quick and dirty):

I don't think I will stretch the image to make her taller but I will think about this point.

@Grimsane - thanks for the ideas and edit.  I will think about the sword arm and and hair.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 07:32:10 am

I don't think I will stretch the image to make her taller but I will think about this point.

Another option is squishing the upper portion a little if you don't want to make the image larger.
I'll try to make some videoedits sometime.. I mainly just want to experiment with the hair..

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 09:27:34 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKp7nVq8sMM

there you go.. don't bother listening to me talk, i was just trying to sound interesting.. eventually the video speeds up when i had nothing to say :P..

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 12:50:43 pm

Looking better. I see what you're getting at with the legs, but at the moment it looks like her legs are different sizes. Her left leg (the one with the stocking) looks shorter. Grimsane and Elrinth's edits are a good reference for how to even them out. By the way, is her right foot simply at an angle, or is it partially lifted, like she was standing on the side of that foot, kind of like this of this? It's hard to tell.

She looks much more like Monica right now. By the way, are you using a reference? The picture on the Dark Cloud Wiki isn't a bad choice. Also, this is a good in-game pic since her head is straight on. It looks like it may have been the pic PixelPiledriver used to reference. I'm guessing you want her to have similar proportion as the original character, so definitely keep using whatever you can find of her to guide you.

Good work on the hair, Alex. :D

Edit: Argh, yeah you said in the first post that you referenced Google Images. Oh well. XD
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:37:00 pm by Bissle »

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 03:23:40 pm
Alex, it'd be great if you could do more of those pixel edit videos. I find them instructive and it's interesting to see how you proceed. Also, there's hardly any quality pixel art tutorials on youtube so yeah (well I can't find good ones anyways).

(sorry for the slight off topicness).

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 11:08:04 pm
It looks like it may have been the pic PixelPiledriver used to reference.
I used several references since this is a pre-designed character

Seeing the whole object as constructed of smaller objects simplifies the drawing process.
This is the same process used in programming and other art forms -> break the major problem into smaller problems.
I like to use shape extrapolation and draw from memory instead of direct referencing.
It adds an element of random incorrectness that I enjoy.
Altho I do not suggest this as the best way of doing things, just what I prefer.

This is just a recreation of my thought process.
Not what I actually used.
But I've done this before hand for other stuff and it can be really helpful.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:11:31 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline nivek

• Custom Brawl!
    • View Profile
    • Toastylinks

Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 11:34:20 pm
Yeah Nice job on the hair Alex.

@Bissle - Her right foot is supposed to be at an angle, so she is not standing on the side of her foot. I'll try to fix the left leg as well(was experimenting).

@PixelPiledriver - Thats an interesting way of designing/ drawing her. The image on the top left is my main reference.

Today I'm going to work on the proportions and shading.

Edit: Maybe add a background to it too.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:39:26 pm by nivek »

Offline nivek

• Custom Brawl!
    • View Profile
    • Toastylinks

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 02:47:25 am
Update:

There's not much of a background. Not sure what I will do for the background. Maybe a town from the start of the game or a forest setting  :-\.

Offline nivek

• Custom Brawl!
    • View Profile
    • Toastylinks

Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 01:48:22 am
Another update with a rushed background:

I will add shadows and clean it up for the next update. :crazy:

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 09:51:23 am
Not really a crit, but something about the perspective of the background and the character looks off to me. Maybe it's with the composition? Should her head be sticking out higher than the top of the trees? (I know she's in the foreground, and the trees in the distance, but it still looks strange to me.)

On another note, love the progress that is being made here and the crits that have been given, this has already come quite a way. I'm also glad you were able to deduce for yourself to draw the whole character rather than cropping at the legs. It's a good practice, and it usually makes for better, or more correct pieces even if they're to be cropped in the final result.

Offline Chris Burrows

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 04:05:26 pm
The way she is holding the sword is very nonthreatening. I liked the way, in PixelPiledriver's rendition, the sword had a bit of perspective. Coming at ya on an angle, to slice ya up into tiny little pieces.

Offline nivek

• Custom Brawl!
    • View Profile
    • Toastylinks

Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 03:00:13 am
@Chris - I was thinking of a more peaceful image. I'll think about that point when I start another piece.
@Dr D - I don't know much about composition but I'll see what I can do with the trees. I agree with the progress and crits too. The Pixelation community is very helpful and I would like to thank them. ;D

I just found out about Graphics Gale. I guess I can post this as my first GG sketch:

:crazy:

I use paint.net for the Monica Piece but GG looks cool.

Also practicing, pixeling faces: