AuthorTopic: [WIP] Portrait dilemma  (Read 2479 times)

Offline elderPixark

• View Profile

[WIP] Portrait dilemma

on: July 15, 2012, 04:26:16 pm
I finally got around to pixeling a portrait and decided to make a post about it. So far I've spent maybe 5-6 hours on it and I'm at a point where I need to make some serious decisions. Right now I'm considering adding her bust to the composition and spending some time on a detailed background. But first, I need to make some corrections with what I've got. Hopefully some insight from other posters will push me out of the stalemate so I can continue working on this!

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Portrait dilemma

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 09:36:01 pm
The two halves of her face have different perspectives.
Edit: reading what cure wrote her face is fine but she is missing a large portion of her head.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:52:09 am by Mr. Fahrenheit »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:42 pm
The face looks pretty good but the head isn't there. The face stretches across the entire head instead. She lacks a cranium and doesn't seem to have substantial side planes to her head, just the front.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:59:28 pm
I think you're working to large for your current skill level.  Try wokring at around a 30 pixel head (28-36 pixels tall, roughly half of this size).  That will give you enough pixels to try different things but not so much that you get lost in the fine details.

Straight ramps for skin colors don't work that well.  You can get away with it if the face is very small, or the image is dominated by strong contrasts with hair, clothing, or background, but a zig-zag in the hues/saturation seems to work better.  Caveat1: this also depends on the intent of the piece.

An edit.  I think there's still something off about the perspective, but I'd have to dig out some references to check it against.  And the jawline needs to be fixed, but that depends a lot on the hair and/or neck.

Hope this helps,
Tourist