AuthorTopic: GoldenSun Mockup  (Read 6837 times)

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

GoldenSun Mockup

on: June 14, 2006, 11:42:26 am

Boredom and too much of that game on my brain.  If you've ever played the game, you should be able to spot what I added in immediately.  If you don't know--take a wild guess XD

How well did I match the style?
Two concerns I have are--fewer colors in my djinn versus the others, too high a saturation, despite the fact that I took every color from other parts of the game.  I'll be messing with these in the future, and probably trying to come up with other fun stuff to make Golden Sun mockups with.

C&C appreciated, especially with regard to how I can make my sprite match the style of the game better.

EDIT:  Oh, also planning to try to add one more thing to his body, though i may scrap it because I fear it might end up making the lil' guy look too busy and make his form hard to distinguish.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 11:57:19 am by reydragk »

Offline Lyuf

• View Profile

Re: GoldenSun Mockup

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 12:20:44 pm
Great work, i like anime&3D Style :P

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:15:53 pm
Hard to C&C when you tell those who haven't played the game to guess, especially if you were trying to match the style. Perhaps laying yours (and actually telling us what it is) next to some of the games?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 01:29:21 pm
I agree, how do we crit, if we don't know what's yours

Offline 8bitty

• poop
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 02:51:28 pm
he made the silver djin doggy/bunny hybrid with orange eyes

Offline Chilly

• n.n /
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 03:38:13 pm
Boredom and too much of that game on my brain.  If you've ever played the game, you should be able to spot what I added in immediately.  If you don't know--take a wild guess XD
It's better to fess up what you did and didn't do. Not only is it time saving, it also helps us distinguish and leave better c+c.

If you don't do this in the future, I will be locking/deleting your threads.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 08:58:58 pm
You did a pretty good job matching the style, considering the original sprites were prerendered. The body could use another color between the brightest blue and the next color to add to that rendered style. The darkest shade could also be lightened up a bit, and the dark orange in the eyes could be yellowed a bit more.

Hard to crit, this one, seeing as how the style you're trying to imitate doesn't follow conventional pixelling methods.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 09:01:53 pm
i'd say thats a bit harsh, chilly.  Im sure he would have told us in his next post.  Just seems to me he was having a bit of fun, and my first guess was in fact that doggy/bunny thing.  Something as silly as this doesn't merit a lock/delete.  and i dont believe he was planning on doing this in future threads anyway.

but either way - your moderator, and i'm not, and i'll have to be respectful of what you say.  Just seems to me that you interpreted his thread as being neglegent and rude, when it was more of a playful atmosphere.

nice bunny btw

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 10:52:36 pm
Looks like most of you had no trouble figuring it out--it was, in fact, the little guy you guys are calling a "bunny".
I'm sorry if anyone was annoyed by my not saying straight out what it was, but I originally wanted a few guesses just to see if I had matched the style well enough that anyone might get it wrong.  Besides, he is featured quite prominently in the first screenshot, so I didn't feel like it'd be that hard.  Once again, apologies to anyone who was bothered by it.

Okay, so what he's supposed to be--He's intended to be something along the lines of a shadow elemental djinn, to go along with the other four.  The "bunny ears" you see were intended to be curling horns, sort of similar to ram's horns, and the front teeth were intended to look similar to the two front teeth of a stylized skull.  I didn't realize how much the design ended up looking like a bunny until after i read your comments XD  Kinda funny the way that happens sometimes.

Now to address what crits I actually got--adding more buffer colors in definitely on my list, so I will go ahead and add another blue betwee the lightest two.  I don't know so much about lightening the darkest shade--It was intended to be a blue so dark it felt almost black, because he was intended to be a shadow elemental creature.  I guess I'll try it just to see how it looks though, don't want to ignore advice out of hand, especially 'cause I do feel like the pallette needs a little work.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 01:31:52 am
the background looks flat, id suggest changing the color of and possibly darkening the shadows regardless of style your emulating.  you might even get away wiyth unifying your palette a bit if you make the shadows on the wall the same as the shadow cast by the cacti
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.