AuthorTopic: Sky Lady  (Read 7791 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Sky Lady

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 05:24:41 am
Indeed. Nothing goes above 30 saturation in this, most are under 20, and about 5 are close to zero. If you look at the full palette in pro motion or something else, sorted by brightness, you're basically looking at mid to high tones. Kon's latest technique disallows the existence of depth and levels. And he'll have to deal with that.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 08:10:17 am
The desaturated palette aint really my thing, apart that it somehow makes some details blend too much and get lost for the human eye unless we zoom the picture but that aside, I really dig the jet smoke, I like the flow of it.
I think you overused gray on the arm, I dont mind it in the other parts, but on the arm it makes it look like it's hairy or deformed. There are some anatomy issues that I wont touch since I'm not an expert to tell you what to change, but just pointing out.
And if you are going to detail the body like that I would do so on the face too, at the moment I think it looks a bit bland.
Other than that I think it is nice, I like it, as some said it feels painted.
Keep it up.

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 01:15:14 am
correction - you mean hues MORE saturated, not less.   Saturation = vibrant  //  Desaturation = greyish

>_< My bad. :) Thanks for the correction. :)

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 11:11:59 am
The palette originally caused me to mistake the fiery exhaust trail for a cloud.  I'd say a desaturated palette works well in depicting some things, however not balls of fire or shiney metal.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 07:35:33 pm
1) The flow and shape of the hair looks wierd.. (ie. the top of the hair flattens out, only the left section of the hair, blows with the wind)
2) Dunno what she's doing with her outstretch arm.. seems to be grabbing something?

Btw, <3 the new avatar!

thanks,
Yeah, she seems to have alot of hair, but it seemed fine at the time. As for the arm, it's just extended and bent at the elbow so the forearm comes a bit forward maknig th ehand appear slightly bigger than normal. Probably could be made more aparrent though.

That extended arm is anatomically a bit of a mess. Both arm and hand, especially hand. The fore leg too, isn't working on knee. Look into the underlying muscle and bone structure. Your intent to have sleek contraposted curves as seen in the far shin/leg is undermined by the otherwise cramped pose. Lack of definition on face. Gray (close to zero sat) is a Majick kolor alright, but I think you're overusing it here. dithering is a style choice, but one that would contribute a lot to this piece, especially styledithers on the clouds.
hm, yeah.. The leg in front could probably be a bit thicker, but when you bend a leg closely like that, it usually gets squished a bit as the fat/muscle gets pressed together, but yeah, it's probably not entirely accurate.
I had a more detailed face, but she looked ugly in my opinion, so I undetailed the nose.

She would burn her hair and ass something bad! ;D
maybe her suit is flame resistant, and maybe her hair as well.. I don't know.

the hand is bugging me, you have those greys right next to the thumb knuckle and it kinda makes a line throught the whole hand which gives the illusion that she doesn't have a wrist

i think
Yeah, I see your point.. I think the whole thumb is probably wrong now that I think of it, the base of it should probably start more closer to the wrist. o_o

your original 'sky man' was much more pleasing to me, but i dont feel addiquite enough to critique such a composition. it's very beautiful and has a nice, hand painted feel to it.

Hm, yeah, the sky man has a nice style/feel to it which this one does not have. I probably like the design of the sky man more than the sky lady because it's more interesting to look at I think.

Kon's latest technique disallows the existence of depth and levels. And he'll have to deal with that.
That sounds like a challenge.. :)
I Haven't really attempted to much to convey depth of field, but maybe I'll try it sometime.

I think you overused gray on the arm, I dont mind it in the other parts, but on the arm it makes it look like it's hairy or deformed.

thanks. some reason I'm not seeing whats so wrong with the grey on the arm(i like how it looks), but i'll try to investigate why it bothers people..

thanks fo rthe comments, it's nice to hear what others think..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 05:02:51 am

left is what my eyes read from your pixel work, right is more what I think you ment them to read? Work on your anatomy.