AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Retro-Futuristic/Cyberpunk Guns  (Read 8195 times)

Offline c0n

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Retro-Futuristic/Cyberpunk Guns

on: July 06, 2012, 02:23:19 am
Sup guys, decided to try making a retro-futuristic version of my favorite handgun, the FN Five-seveN.  :y:

I was thinking the aesthetics of Akira and Cowboy Bebop -ish when I made the design.
The coloring is inspired somewhat by the Hyperion weapons manufacturer from Borderlands.

Lineart:

It's obviously not colored properly yet, just placeholder colors to distinguish the separate parts from each other.
It's not for a game or anything, just a project for fun that I threw on here just because.
Will probably be needing some C+C later on when I get to texturing and shading.  :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:47:28 am by c0n »

Offline cheatsguy

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Retro-Futuristic/Cyberpunk FN Five-seveN

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 02:18:18 pm
Looking good! What is this for? Just a fun bit of art or are you planning on putting it in a game/future artwork? Remember that you can shrink the reference image to help with forming it. How are you planning on coloring it?

Offline c0n

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Retro-Futuristic/Cyberpunk FN Five-seveN

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 03:28:01 pm
Just a fun bit of art yeah :y:
What I did to get the shape was first drawing a Five-seveN by hand from references, then just experimenting and changing up the drawing until I was happy with it, then draw it in graphics Gale from the drawn reference.  :)

The plan was that the off-white parts should be low gloss polymer plastic, with a matte texture which is shit-hard to do properly.
The pinkish parts would be higher gloss polymer plastic. The blue/gray parts would be metal.

Started coloring it, already having problems with the glossiness and the shading on the grip. Light source would be top-left and a little behind the camera in Z space.

Tiny update: Alt.
Some C+C on the general color scheme would be nice, I want it to feel 80's retro-futuristic ish, that's why I went with pink :y:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:07:45 pm by c0n »

Offline c0n

• View Profile

Update

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 10:01:23 pm
Doesn't read very well does it?  :mean:
Minor update/cleanup:

C+C and edits are welcome.

ALSO: Does it look too much like a penis? ???
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:46:26 pm by c0n »

Offline JonasO

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:12:30 pm
How would you hold such a gun? Why is the pink part sticking out :S? The way you shade your stuff it's bulging out.

Offline c0n

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 11:47:04 pm
That's why I thought I'd need some C+C.
I want the pink parts to have a higher gloss, but it just looks like bulge...
Also, here's an edit to make it look less like a penis. Thoughts?

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 04:14:10 am
Quick and dirty edit to explain a few things-

First of all, the line art needs a bit of work, especially for function. Remember that the grip and trigger area is based around a hand, so it needs smooth, ergonomic curves and a decent amount of area for your fingers. The way the whole thing is designed now, with all the little rounded bits and bumps everywhere, makes it look a little lumpy. You can still keep details and style without having to break the silhouette, and sometimes (see: most of the time) less is more and all that.

Now, as for the shading, guns are very simple and geometric, so you need to be very deliberate. Try to avoid random clusters and try to keep the major geometric forms (look especially at the grip, it was shaded as three separate areas when they all form the same cylinderish shape) If a part of the gun would just be a flat surface, don't be afraid to leave it alone with just one shade. Again, less is more.

And with the colors, one of the first things anyone learns about metal is that it's high contrast. Get those dark tones really dark and heavy and get the light ones bright and reflective. I also simplified it a bit since having red, green, blue, and yellow all together is a little crowded and crayon-y if that makes sense. The blue worked better with the read and yellow so I spread that around and that's that.

Also try to avoid any dithering on something that's supposed to be smooth. It can work, but it takes a lot of skill and discipline.

Offline c0n

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 11:13:55 am
You nailed the style I was going for almost perfectly, thanks so much.
I'll take all that in when i work on the piece later today. :y: :y:

Cleaned up the bulkiness a bit and mimicked your iron sights because they looked good.

Will get on with the shading tonight most likely.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 02:26:10 pm by c0n »

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 04:20:24 pm
One other quick thing, I don't know if the outline is supposed to be part of the style but you can always get rid of it.

But that's just preference, not an improvement either way.

Offline c0n

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 09:41:24 pm
You understand me too well. :blind: Only thing you got "wrong" from what I had in mind is that the holes on the slide " /oo\ " should show the barrel inside.

I think I will be removing the outlines, I know what I'm working towards at least.  ;)

Did I mention it's sexy as hell?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:45:33 pm by c0n »