AuthorTopic: Which do you prefer? [C&C]  (Read 7563 times)

Offline Blaze Enigma

• View Profile

Which do you prefer? [C&C]

on: July 04, 2012, 06:20:29 pm
I would simply like to ask you which you prefer, as me and a friend are currently not sure which one is better, and we are likely to be biased as some of its my work, and some of its his work, hence in in-ability to say which is best.

Mine is the last on the right, i.e. the shortest one.
C&C is appreciated, but not required, we simply wish to know which is 'better'

edit:

He made a new palette, and apparently it 'must' be seen.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:34:22 pm by Blaze Enigma »

Offline GamerGuy12345

• View Profile

Re: Which do you prefer? [C&C]

Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 06:29:04 pm
The last one on the right is the best, the rest are all proportionately wrong, they look okay though.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 07:33:33 pm
One on the right is the best. I don't know what's up with the edit. Looks like it's night time, maybe?

Offline Zettman

• Prinny, dood.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:54:41 pm

I win. kthxbye.

I'm not doing a supergamma filtered paletted game with pinks and blues so bright they could burn through the hemisphere. No professional Pixel Artist will tell you that the base all the way on the right is even CONSIDERABLE, given all the anatomical incorrections it has.

edit: decided to do my own thing, don't bother with the topic anymore.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:02:09 pm by Zettman »

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 11:32:27 pm
...well anatomically *suggestively* speaking, I agree the furthest on the right is the most realistic, as well as the best looking.  The others' heads are too large and wide, foreheads too huge and faces too low and legs are too short.  And the palette on the far right is much more appealing because the pink adds a lively tone to the skin, unlike the pallid palette with the greens and blues... Plus the muscular forms on the green blue tinted skin is super wonky, especially in the legs.  

Offline Southend_boi

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 01:04:13 am
was this a friendly pixel art showoff ? or was this a beef...

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 01:43:40 am
Agree that the one one the right is much better anatomically and palette-wise (unless he's meant to have severe macrocephaly). I'd consider doing away with right angles (head, shoulders) and the bits of lighter AA:

Offline Blaze Enigma

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 02:35:47 am
was this a friendly pixel art showoff ? or was this a beef...

It wasn't really beef, but a friend of mine >Zettman< was claiming his base was the most anatomical correct, and that mean was terrible, mine being the one of the right.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:39:40 am by Blaze Enigma »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 05:34:58 am
yeah he seems real mature you should totally listen to him [/sarcasm]

and I agree with everyone elses general conclusion, perspective wise the proportions of yours are much more 'correct' overall

to fight his "anorexic" bit and just for the general sake to add alot more variety to your game you should consider doing multiple bases for different build types and heights like this edit I did early this morning before falling asleep  :blind: also yeah the neck will be mostly eclipsed by the head from that angle, so that's a pretty silly remark too.

also agree with Jeremy in regard to the aa tone and subtle shapes

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 06:59:47 am
All of the bases have the problem of a head that is looking down in traditional 3/4ths and the bodies on a flat plane parallel to us.

The easy ( partial fix) is making the legs proportionately shorter.

The palette of the right is much more naturalistic and successful than either of the other iterations.

"supergamma filtered paletted game with pinks and blues so bright they could burn through the hemisphere. No professional Pixel Artist will tell you that the base all the way on the right is even CONSIDERABLE, given all the anatomical incorrections it has."

This is a gross exaggeration, to the point of being untrue on both accounts: the palette is relatively normal in terms of saturation, and any professional pixel artist would easily prefer the bases on the right to the other; yes some of the anatomy isn't perfect, but it's forgivable by means of style and time restrictions.