AuthorTopic: Grass  (Read 5021 times)

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Grass

on: June 30, 2012, 09:15:10 pm

Looking for ways to make this look more like grass and not like a blob of green.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 02:39:01 pm by slym »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Grass

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:40:18 pm
Only thing I can say is that it looks more like foliage than grass. Still very nice looking tho.

For grass you might wanna try smaller details and not as high contrast perhaps.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline JonasO

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:33:04 pm
Of course he's right. The white in the top right is far too bright and gives it the sort of shape grass doesn't deserve... Grass is flat (but higher than the ground), what you have there looks round.
Also put some figures in there, that'll help our brain to put things into perspective.
Also your brushes look more like tree leaves than grass blades... Again ptoing has it right, try /smaller/.
And then there's the arrangement and the background color... For the arrangement, you should try many small bushes; For the background color, try something grassier (but I suck at picking colors so don't ask me)

PS: I'm drunk so I might not write what I think or what I think might be wrong. Don't worry if you don't understand  this post - it's not you, it's me. Kind regards, Jonas

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 06:47:40 am
yeah I tend to agree, and it reads more like light shining through a canopy being looked at from below, and reads more like thick foliage than grass

here's a poor attempt at remedying it to some degree and seeing what works and what doesn't I think you need to restrict the thickness of your clusters, if you do use anything more than 3 wide then maybe try making sure it's for something like a weed or some supplementary leafy foliage for the ground plane, and form them sprouting outward from a central point, and I don't think the highlights really work

I must say though you have such a masterful approach to clustering leaves and your trees and foliage in general are solid

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:53:54 am by Grimsane »

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 11:49:25 pm
it looks to me a bit like a tree top. if you shorten the length of the grass strands you'll probably be able to make it look more like grass
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!