AuthorTopic: Need some other people's opinions  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Need some other people's opinions

on: June 30, 2012, 06:17:00 pm
Since you're all artists here, I figured you might be good to ask, although I'm not sure if this is really supposed to be in General Discussion or on this forum at all, but I don't know, there might be something to learn from it.

I co-run a website for general entertainment, and one of our newer contributors submitted this-

Along with the description-

This is a piece I made in art rage using the paint brush options right after the Yoshi's Island Super Replay final episode. It took me about a week to make, and I'm still not satisfied with how "mushy" everything looks, but I feel it's still worth showing off.

Now, anyone who knows how to scale an image probably knows what interpolation looks like, and long story short it's just this-

-scaled and filtered.

But he insists that he used it as a guide and painted over it. I didn't buy this for a second, but the problem is that I'm not comfortable taking action until I'm 100% sure that he's not being honest, and right now I'm sitting at somewhere around 99%. So if any of you can just confirm that it's scaled and filtered and not painted over (if it seems ambiguous, look at the angles that the scaled verison makes, especially noticeable on the large spikes), then I think that'll be enough.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Need some other people's opinions

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:44:44 pm
I am 100% sure that this is the result of some kind of filter package. Be it multiple filters in PS with blurring a bit after rescale and some other blending mode tinktering. So yes, I would say he is bullshitting.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 06:59:40 pm
Thanks, justice will be served accordingly.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:01:56 pm
No. Obvious scaling filters. Obvious texture filters.

Feel free to use this image when you drop the hammer ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 07:03:51 pm
What's hilarious to me is that if he really painted that, that'd be an extremely painstaking process for such a dour looking result.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 03:10:09 am
hah. yeah what helm said, and there are some obvious artifacts of just filtering and not painting, on the round objects there is staggered curves that match the pixel based source and the loss of finer details would be incredibly unlikely if you were  to paint over 99.99% convinced it's exclusively image filters, and if it is a paint over it's not even close to artistic or creative, you'd atleast endeavour to remove the rough jagged nature of the curves and diagonal lines, If I felt like wasting time I could reproduce those results without touching the canvas with anything but filters I am sure. no disputing the tessellated texture filter either, art rage didn't have such filters last time I checked? so they are most likely lying about the software they used too, pretty sad