AuthorTopic: Pixel Portrait C&C needed  (Read 7787 times)

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel Portrait C&C needed

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 07:57:02 am
Guys that the second time pillow shading is misused here, it wasn't pillow shading (just baaad shading - fancy name I know) in the first post and what you are referring to isn't pillow shading either. :yell:

Pillow Shading is one specific way of shading something coming from lack of knowledge about shape and light. Making edges darker won't lead to pillow shading and is in fact a big part of more realistic shading styles as it  greatly increases the sense of depth if done correctly. It is something that happens to a small degree in real life due to the diffuse nature of most lights.
>:(
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:01:46 am by Mr. Beast »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 08:39:07 am
I'm not entirely a fan of terminology but it is widely referred to as that, even in isolation, the principle of "pillow shading" is still present in what you call baaad shading.

pillow analogies aside bordering (buffering) shapes (clusters) uniformly like that and reinforcing pixel banding = bad end result,  regardless of what you call it and how much of it is present.

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 09:54:54 am
Banding is bad, but still has nothing to do with pillow shading, it's one very specific type of shading and the only thing that yields it is ignorance. If it is not exactly pillow shading then don't use that word :yell:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 01:38:32 pm
Pillow shading easily leads to banding, but they're different things, yes. Anywhere where you shade in a small pixel space with a lot of colors is prone to get bandy.

As to the image

I think you girl is suffering from too much face, not enough cranium. This is a common error for artists because face features are expressive, and they make them bigger and the head is just a canvas for them, but it looks off once you notice it. That's my big contribution, really. The rest is just facial features edits which might or might not be of use to you.

Offline trexrell

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 01:54:47 pm
Cool. Yeah it does seem like she needs more skull lol. But my biggest problem right now is indeed shading the hair. I'm pretty much following the examples on this thread for shading techniques so anything I see here that looks correct I definitely incorporate it into my work

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 03:04:02 am
Rough edit, working from Helm's:

Aside from the size of the cranium, as far as the bangs, try to make them look like they stick out and slope from the head... though it really depends on what kind of hairstyle you want her to have. I tried to do that as well, but it looks more like a beehive.  :yell:

Offline trexrell

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 07:46:51 pm
Is that the complete way one would shade that type of hair in pixel art?

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 11:40:17 am
Strictly speaking. there really is no "complete" or "correct" way to do that in pixel art, at least not a way that's really different from drawing by hand. The best way to figure out how to shade it is to reference. Look up pictures of women with the hairstyle you want her to have; observe how the bangs slope from the forehead, observe how light hits her hair. You'll get the hang of it with practice.  :y:

Offline trexrell

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 02:30:10 am
Cool thanks that's pretty much the answer I was hoping for lol.