AuthorTopic: Valley of Kings  (Read 6796 times)

Offline JonasO

• View Profile

Re: Valley of Kings

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 10:54:19 am
It's closer so it shoudn't be "foggy"  ;D

But the bridges suggest it's really far away. At least, further than the second, so it should be more foggy than the second.

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 01:58:46 pm
He means this one.

Also shadows suggestion. Take it how you will.

Offline JonasO

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 11:11:22 pm
He means this one.

Also shadows suggestion. Take it how you will.

Thanks, much better!

On your shadow edits: The shadows in the central thing are okaying because they seem to resemble some structure. "No shadow without structure." "No shadow without source." The shadows to the right are kinda random and pillow-y. The original light source doesn't correspond with those shadows and there seems to be no structure casting them, so that needs to be reworked.

Shadows are a great way to give additional depth to the scene, but they are extremely hard to do well.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 11:44:57 pm
I'm actually not a huge fan of the newest rendition of the bridges; they almost make me think of power lines and poles than bridges and turreted fortresses.  What I really like the most are the smaller details, and how they're integrated well; notably, the fireflies and flowers.  The white flowers nearer to the viewer need a little more pixel pushing, but the ones further away are quite great and add a lot in my eyes to this whole thing.  As for Leroy's shadow edits, I think they're generally correct (perhaps a bit exaggerated though) considering the possible light source, but I think it actually would look better if the shadow casted by the middle fortress was only an eighth (or less) the size of the one in the edit; it makes the fortress look less mysterious, and rather more imposing, with such a large shadow.

Just my USD0.02.  I think that this piece still has a ways to go (mostly in just doing more finalized pixel pushes to the drafted out areas) but it's already looking really sweet.  I'm definitely watching this thread to see how it turns out.  :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:47:38 pm by Ashbad »

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 03:47:10 pm
Guys, thanks, even though these trees looks like fool's it was coincidence  :-[ doesn't matter if you believe me or not, I am going to post ref anyways because I don't wan't problems...