AuthorTopic: Valley of Kings  (Read 6793 times)

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Valley of Kings

on: June 27, 2012, 04:19:00 pm
 :y:

This is grass not water  :) but I will work on both versions ( water and grass ). ;D

Fits well with this song.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:31:32 pm by philippejugnet »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Valley of Kings

Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 04:39:06 pm
This looks really nice I have to say.

Some things to think about:
Are those dudes in the front people in really deep grass or half parts of statues? If they are statues why come they have some really fine detail (bow string) If they woudl be in deep grass there would be no flowers. So I guess in either case you have to work to clarify things a bit more.

The bridges on the building look like they would need some more structural support.

Can't say that I am feeling the building in the far background. It kinda breaks a sense of scale. It would have to be massive to show this big and it looks pretty unrefined in terms of structure. Would there really be a building with a massive tower like that? It looks kinda toyish in comparison to the rest, if that makes sense.

Given the amount of rimlights you have on stuff in the immediate front the structure in the back should be more silhouetted and have rimlights as well seeing as the lightsource seems to be more or less right behind it.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 05:00:34 pm
Thanks Ptoing  :P your critique was so much helpful!

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:56:34 pm
Little update  ;D

Helpful Bot

Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:57:48 pm
Little update  ;D

To be a little wondered I should bring this to light as it has caught my attention at first...there is this very visible and PERFECT dither pattern, and it seems a little suspicious for a 14 years old to create such a perfect dither pattern, in addition, in your previous works, you had never ever used dithering at such perfection, maybe just small fields but you worked with solid colors and additional colors for gradients/banding

Sorry to bring this to attention, but it is something that I constantly see when I'm watching you try to progress, you focus way way way way too much on the technical aspect of pixelart than being visually visionary using your third eye!

Offline Grundy

• Sup!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 11:30:29 pm
Ok. i love the colours, I can't teach you anything there. (others can, not me)
But there are some things keeping it between what you have now and something truly awesome.
Forgive my blunt paint skills:

1: That diamond does nothing to me but detract from the overall power this piece could have.
The combination of colours it's made of give is slightly different from anything else in the piece.
Maybe it has some narrative meaning. But i don't know that meaning and its glinting just distracts me.
I by myself am not that important but i like to believe i speak for more people when i say this.

2: As mentioned before. That building removes the mystery of the building before it.
Being totally in the middle i get the idea that the front building is of great importance. And then there is like this big brother photobombing it with its tallnes. You can solve this by removing the building. or make it less tall and multiples of them. I'd op for the first.

3: That bridge is horizontally perfect. Seems flat in comparison with all the vanishing lines in the piece.
It destroys the depth that some other vanishing lines try to build up. There are more of theses srtaight horizontals in the piece.
That is not per se a bad thing. Swords and Sworcery does awesome things with straight horizontal lines.
But in here the balance is off. You could remove the bridge or compose it of a diagonal line.

4: It sure seems like water to me. Regardless of light source.
Where these guys overall stature disappear in the moss, Their shadow just takes over following the same lines.
Because of this it looks like i can see through the moss...Moss is not transparent.

Writing this comment i noticed a lot of other things. But i want to conclude with that it could become a very very very cool piece of art.
Please continue.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:35:25 pm by Grundy »

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 03:30:48 pm
Ah, so you're psoting here as well, now? :) I still think the statues need some kind of palnt life growing on them, because as of now they look like people in quicksand :)

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 06:11:33 pm
 :D thanks guys!
@bot - I will take that as a compliment.
I am workin on all the critique, also from other websites.  :P <- I love those emoticons from pixelation  :crazy:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:14:12 pm by philippejugnet »

Offline JonasO

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 01:13:10 am
Now there's some imbalance in the piece, it's tending to the right/down. Also I think the third sturcture from the front is too visible, could you make it disappear slightly more in the fog?

Offline philippejugnet

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 02:43:05 am
It's closer so it shoudn't be "foggy"  ;D