AuthorTopic: Masked Character  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Beyonder

• View Profile

Masked Character

on: June 27, 2012, 01:14:12 am
A bit of an odd character, but I think I ought to show him regardless.
I can't get the mask(s) right, so any C+C would be appreciated. Also, I can't help but feel the skeleton is off..very off. Particularly in the legs.
The arms are abnormally long on purpose, though, so just excuse that part of the anatomy. (I wanted to give him an inhuman look.)

One last thing, I tried doing a sprite without a border for once, but it just didn't work. If anyone can show me something that would help with that it would be reaaaally appreciated.  :)
Also, IDK if I'm supposed to introduce myself, but I'm new to the site so hi.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:07:08 am by Beyonder »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Re: Masked Character

Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 06:37:25 am

edit syndrome got me again ::)

even with your purposely strange anatomy you should still have a slightly stronger pose or more elaborate ways to emphasis his 'inhuman' appearance, the legs main issue is you need to emphasis his knee at the moment its unclear where his knee is the overall flow of his leg it's even possible to perceive his knee at the intersection of his boots and pants, the hunch looks odd too but kinda reinforces an inhuman look I guess,

overall the design looks pretty good the mask isn't too bad dunno what issue with it is, what are you going for? your piece is very loose right now if you tighten it up It's possible your issue with the mask will resolve itself so to speak,

strangely enough this reminds me of a sketch in one of my old sketch books 2004 I think, similar thing but without the fedora and with coattails and a buttoned vest and tubes coming out the back of his mask, and a walking cane, and similar high boots and pants it very steam punk, but at the core a very similar design, if i manage to find It I can submit it here if you'd like to see what I'm on about.

*messed around more, I have the habit of leaving images open in my image editor and when I go to close the windows hours later I just start drawing on it in this case editing:

sorry for arming your dude to the teeth in my eds :lol:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:30:23 am by Grimsane »

Offline Hydlide

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:11:53 am
That's really awesome. It sort of feels like a Pokemon trainer sprite, but much darker. Just imagine a dark, more adult Pokemon where people try to kill you instead of just battle Pokemon!

Offline Beyonder

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:49:19 pm
Wow! Love the edit, grimsane! Especially the hat, fantastic job. I always thought of him as with a gun, though.
I see what you mean with the new, thanks. I think I'm going go try to make the trench coat more....dramatic.

Edit:

Changes:
-Added more wind to the trench coat
-Fixed trench coat collar
-Changed button colour on trench coat
-Shortened arm/fixed hand (I miss the long arms.  :( )
-Changed hat (Even added a feather.)
-Fixed legs. (I hope.)
-Added a new shade on the trench coat to replace the parts were the outline became shading.
-Fixed masks a tad.

I also added an entirely new mask, and put a shadow on him for fun.

The problem with the new colours, I think, is that they make it a bit to...colourful. I'm trying to get a good compromise with the "noire" feel and proper shading.

And thanks, Hydlide!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:18:31 pm by Beyonder »