AuthorTopic: Slouching Mario - WIP, C+C  (Read 9428 times)

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Slouching Mario - WIP, C+C

on: June 24, 2012, 10:07:15 pm
So, MarioMarathon 5 (charity event that's raising money for Child's Play) is going on, and I thought I'd create something Mario. Don't know if I'll send it in as fanart, but might if I'm satisfied with the final results.

It's a pretty small piece, and it's still undergoing lots of changes and getting polish. Thought I'd share the progress, and ask for general C+C.

This is where I started at:

And this is where I am:

Several parts are still missing details (gloves/hands, shirt) and the outlining is inconsistent. Well, pretty much everything is WIP I guess is the fastest way to explain it. :P

(Also, if you have some extra money and like Child's Play, why not donate some! I know having access to games certainly made my hospitalization more bearable. :))

Thank you for your time!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:41:10 pm by Charlieton »
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Re: Slouching Mario - WIP, C+C

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 10:24:49 pm
I think it's a wonderful design for the start.

To my inexperienced eyes, I think the transition between the trousers and red shirt is a bit off, I mean, the shading in that part. I think more stronger lines there (or more stronger contrast) wouldn't be a bad choice. Also, maybe some shadow from Mario's head over the red shirt under his chin. Lastly, the shading of the...crotch...well, I have to see how you will develop it more.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 04:21:40 pm
Not much progress, today. This was all I had time for.

I think it's a wonderful design for the start.

To my inexperienced eyes, I think the transition between the trousers and red shirt is a bit off, I mean, the shading in that part. I think more stronger lines there (or more stronger contrast) wouldn't be a bad choice. Also, maybe some shadow from Mario's head over the red shirt under his chin.
Thank you for your comment! Yes, all your points are valid.

Basically what I've done is pull all the shading down a bit. Also, got rid of outlines, and started on some re-shaping of the hat (I'm straightening out the form, which was a mess). No shading on there, yet.

Lastly, the shading of the...crotch...well, I have to see how you will develop it more.
What about it?  ???
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:36:38 pm
The shading on the trousers is much better now (perfect for my inexperienced eye). I still don't like the transition between the shirt and the trousers.

Here is my attempt at it. I definitely think you need more colors. Have in mind I'm a complete n00b. Just trying to illustrate what I would like to change, not that I can do it better. :)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 06:03:16 pm
Heavy edit time!

I changed quite a few things, but not really structurally. Mainly tweaks really.
List of why I did what
  • Ears and sideburns, because Mario has those.
  • Added background to have more contrast because depressed looking Mario and happy landscape.
  • Made picture higher to have more space (weight) to press down on Mario
  • light dependent outlines for more definition
  • Changed some colours, mainly desaturated. There are actually less now than before. 12 in total.
  • Made the shoulder-straps actually connected to the pants by the buttons and added a little pouch thing.

I hope this helps.
Keep it up :)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 08:22:20 pm
  • Made the shoulder-straps actually connected to the pants by the buttons and added a little pouch thing.
Quite fun: the pouch-and-straps on Mario's belly now give the counter-point of MArio's depressive mood: it just look as a "yeahhh! havin' so much fun'" smiley.

Two thing I observe on your edit, though:
1) mario's belly now look quite flat -- possibly because of the trousers using a perfectly horizontal line.
2) that band of intermediate blue shade at the bottom of Mario's trousers. I think I'd try har to get rid of it, but I don't see too much how I'd do that.

But alltogether, it's great guidance you provided... once again ;)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 08:48:15 pm
Haha, I did not notice the smiley face on the stomach.

Good crits, so I tried to edit some more. Added one colour for the red. In order to make Mario look even more pathetic.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ürch

• I live in dreaming through the hours
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:36:54 pm
that... doesn't look like mario's hat...

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 10:01:45 pm
damn probably should have been snappier and posted before getting ready, was gonna try doing an edit when I saw the post yesterday with some suggestions, but didn't really have time noticed ptoing's edit so based my suggestions off his groundwork, just approaches to the volume and slack shading suggestions, but he's since done another :blind:

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 10:41:02 pm
Great edit, ptoing! You certainly know which tools to use (and how) in order to give expression and definition to an image. I can learn a lot from it, especially regarding colour choice.

I like a lot of the changes you did, so I tried to incorporate them in my own image. Yes, it's a very depressed and weighed down-looking Mario we're dealing with here, so the composition you suggested makes sense. I've added more open space above Mario, and I dropped his head about 2 pixels in an attempt to make him look even more compressed and weighed down.

I had completely forgotten about the sideburns! I didn't think I'd need to look at a reference to get Mario right, but apparently I should've :lol:. Also, the ears should be visible as well.

And about that...
that... doesn't look like mario's hat...

No, I've taken some (actually conscious!) creative freedom with this piece. However, in some cases I've found Mario's hat to be quite plump, and that is an impression I try to display here.

I tried an alternate route in which Mario is also holding a fire flower (like he's out on another adventure, despite his sullen mood!). However, at the moment I'm not satisfied with the look of it. I'd like to make it hang more, as to reflect the overall mood instead of contradict it like I think it does now (what with Mario actually holding it up somewhat). Probably I'll just stick it in his aldready relaxed, drooping hand...

I did next to nothing with the pants in this update, but I'll probably work on that next (then I'll take your suggestions in consideration, Grimsane!). Anyway, that's why there's no detail and shading around those parts still. I also haven't decided on what to have in the background yet. I'll change it from being just a single colour though, for sure.

It's down to 10 colours right now. I'm gonna have to add a couple more ofc (brighter blues and reds for example).

Thanks for the support, everyone!