AuthorTopic: GR#108 - Wangsta Chick - Sprite Process  (Read 23205 times)

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Re: [WIP] Battle Sprite(s):Wangsta Chick

Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 08:34:31 pm
It was really great seeing this piece develop.

That's what I love so much about pixel art. The actual process is super-fun, both to watch or go through yourself. Unlike game design, where I'm more proficient and have different experience. I dislike WIP games and extreme development.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 05:50:57 am
the skirt had nice movement shadow on frame #4 and #5, and then you dropped that for something more flat.
Great style and progress, otherwise.
I still spot very sharp edges on her cap (vertical-45°-horizontal) which look a bit weird, and a tendency to have broken outlines on skirt and legs.

The trick of using a placeholder color for fingers when drawing hands looks like helping a lot. I'm taking good note of that.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 07:55:10 pm
I can see some volume inconsistencies with the leg, and her left knee is too low or her right knee is a tad to high, in your blockout you had foreshortening so it wasn't so bad, but now they seem to clash on all limbs in the background looking a bit too thin, you haven't established depth with the palette you could try darkening the rear limbs to simulate foreshortening like you did to some extent in your block in, because using the same shading colours has brought them onto the same plane and while done often in 2D it requires the removal of any foreshortening, and I just watched your progress, I think your last iteration you attempted to define the knee and inadvertently pulled it down a bit

here's an edit I did whilst trying initially to just fix the arm but noticed a few things, the knees probably both need to be adjusted as opposed to what I just did. but I should just mention I think you are still having some problems defining the limbs volume, mostly the elbows and knees, I might add the definition and shape in the blockout's limbs was quite good in that regard

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 01:53:51 pm
Let me take that back--when I was saying I wasn't done to 100% satisfaction, I should have clarified that my current level of satisfaction was 20% tops.  :blind: After posting, the more I looked at it, the more I hated it, especially her left arm and the legs in general. This is far, far from done.

@Lachie Dazdarian : Does the face look any more clear from when you last commented? Also, thanks again for suggesting fingerless gloves!

@PypeBros: I was just messing around with the outfit in those frames. Ultimately I feel that while it may look better, the way it was flowing implied lighter fabric than what I imagine the jersey-dress would be made of. The hat... well, it's kind of a weird combo between a beerbox hat and a standard baseball cap, but your point still stands. And those jagged lines looked pretty awful. I hope it's not as bad.

@Grimsane: Ugh, I don't know what came over me. I'm going through the world backwards. I start off with clear sectioning off of the limbs while blocking out, and then when it comes to fully rendering, I end up with tree stumps.

Another edit. Toned down the hair, made the jersey-dress conform more to her shape (without being too tight), simplified the legs and shaded them better to give them more depth, worked some more on her right hand, including hinting that she actually has elbows, erased and am in process of starting her left over in a different position completely, and lightened her "base" skintone to provide more contrast that would make the face easier to read. I fear that her left limbs are too dark, now... almost dark enough to pass for the pantyhose of the character she's parodying.

----

As I said before, I do want to work on something else, and over the weekend I did start on a new sprite. Another Xenogears reference (last one, too, I swear!), this time a reference to this lady.

I'm not aiming for as strong as resemblance as I was with the previous character--really I'm not aiming for that at all. I'm going for a supertall (going by 1 pixel = 1 cm, she's roughly six feet) Eurasian lady with a long face and neck and pronounced facial features, dressed like a lounge singer. The blue line indicates where her chest would roughly be if I was following standard proportions versus what I actually did.

Beyond the terrible hands, I'm concerned about the colors I've picked for her skin, and I am afraid she won't match at all with the other character in terms of style. But hey, at least she has elbows!  ;D

She's not actually going to be posed like this;this is merely a template of sorts to keep on hand when I get to her actual pose.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Re: [WIP] Battle Sprite(s): Gangsta Chick

Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 02:57:47 pm
Well, just by looking at her, I want to punch her in the face, same as every other "gangsta" I've met. So I guess you're doing an accurate job. XD
I like the art, though! And I'm assuming her stance is a moving one, like she'll be dancing back and forth, so it looks good to me. The jewelry looks fine to me! A little weird, but it's a fighting game, right? Will it shoot lasers out of it? X3

Indeed, a damn fun and stunning piece. I want to punch her teeth in, too. Still, incredibly funny, 100% fighting game.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 09:19:04 am
you went overboard/went too far in the hue, on the rear colours, she looks half African American :blind: (they'd be nice colours if that was the case)

interesting lady, pretty far from gangsta heh although she looks like a body builder, even bringing it in really quickly* she is still curvaceous and not entirely slender, which might be what you were intending anyway, and her neck is a bit long,

but another approach would be to widen the neck and possibly also the face so it didn't reinforce the huge body to head ratio effect, and awkward pose aside you did a pretty decent job with the arms ;D (mostly elbow joint area(even though forward facing and in a more natural but similar posture her elbows would be much more backward))

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 10:49:46 am
This sprite has come a long way, it's nice to see you being persistent with it and very accepting of critique.

The legs look like tree trunks because you are ignoring the natural taper of the limbs, in fact you're expanding them. This sometimes looks cool for monsters and such, but not for semi realistic females.

Also, some more study of leg anatomy would help. The knees especially we're primitively done. As for the back limbs, I believe your color ramp has such distinct values that it will always appear as a change in the local value of them. Instead of using different values, adjust the "ratio" of how you use them in far limbs.

hope this helps.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 01:12:20 pm
I still think there's fundamental issues with your figure.

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 12:22:16 am
Shouldn't the gesturing hand's forearm be somewhat more foreshortened?

I'm not 100% sure though, it's not like I could do better.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 04:06:03 am
@Grimsane: Yeah, I was regretting posting her, and was hoping to edit her out before someone replied. I was thinking that particular dress would look best if shoulders were emphasized, but clearly I went too far. I did reduce the shoulders, but I kept her general figure. You sure had her squeezed into that outfit, by the way.  :P

Tried a couple of minor changes on the head as suggested, ultimately moving her head a pixel or two down, giving the neck more shape, and very very slightly changing her 'do to highlight the difference. I left out the choker temporarily for the same reason. I also edited her hand(s) to appear less blocky and semi-masculine. Still very much WIP.

About the neck... I do want to preserve the length, but at this scale, it does make one wonder what the line is from "lol, I bet she was called Giraffe in school" --> "Only in Burma, dude" --> "How does it not snap under the weight of her head?".

@Ryumaru
This sprite has come a long way, it's nice to see you being persistent with it and very accepting of critique.

Hey, critique is what this place is for after all. ;D

I do appreciate your edit of the legs. I did some referencing of it and other pictures of legs in order to improve it them.

@Helm
Thank you! What surprised me is that other than the head and the perspective of the front arm, that's not much different from how the sprite looks without the clothing layer. Yay for progress, I guess.

The more I compare my arm to the edit and life, the more I realized, that, like Psiweapon said, the arm's perspective is messed up. There is no foreshortening whatsoever, making it look borderline disjointed. That will be addressed when I feel like working on it again. For the head, I will have to reduce the length of her legs.. actually, I need to do that anyway. I've already made her too tall (she should only be 168 px/5'6ish minus the hat and boots), and adjusting the head with everything else as-is would make her appear even taller.

Again, haven't worked on adjusting the positioning of the head and arms yet, but that is to come.