AuthorTopic: First Portrait Evaaaar- Could use some help  (Read 5710 times)

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Re: First Portrait Evaaaar- Could use some help

Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 11:43:59 pm
I have to agree with Grimsane that the shading of the forehead is subpar compared to the rest. The asymmetry of the nostrils is only very noticeable to me if I zoom the pic, but at normal view I wouldn't call it problematic. Actually I think it could be fixed by moving on the left (his right) one pixel over to the left.

Whaddya know, the shadow of the glasses actually does add depth to the piece. Good call!

The shading of the cheeks kinds of make his head look slighty tilted where it was head on before. Alternatively, it makes him look like one side of his face is thin/angular and the other side round.  I say dial back on the shadow on the right side and shape it to match the left side based on that great guide Grimsane made.

You definitely have reason to be happy with what you've got now. Whether you consider this finished or not, great improvement.  I hope you'll be able to apply what you've learned to future works! :y:

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 12:45:59 am
OK ok 

Sorry, I definitely need to study shading more  :mean:

I made teh nostrils symmetical (yay)

I made the cheek lighting more symmetrical.  I guess in a frontal view the shading will be pretty symmetrical by nature...?
Tried to improve shading of the forehead.  This is my final, at least for here.

Oh yeah, and I learned A TON from you two.  Thanks so much   :-[

BUT- most important lesson learned here-   Pixel Art takes a  :yell: long time. 
  ::)

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 01:10:45 am
Quote from: Friend
OK ok 

Sorry, I definitely need to study shading more  :mean:

I made teh nostrils symmetical (yay)

I made the cheek lighting more symmetrical.  I guess in a frontal view the shading will be pretty symmetrical by nature...?
Tried to improve shading of the forehead.  This is my final, at least for here.

Oh yeah, and I learned A TON from you two.  Thanks so much   :-[
you're more than welcome, glad I could help, and you should be quite proud for a first attempt especially because it is far from a pillow shaded mess  ;)

Quote from: Friend
BUT- most important lesson learned here-   Pixel Art takes a  :yell: long time. 
  ::)
:lol: haha yeah, especially true when you start.

here is another edit, just to point out what can be done 5-10 minutes when you are proficient enough, there are quite alot of shades in there so you should justify them by using them more. and are you not going to do a coloured version?  ::) there are some easy tips and tricks I could offer if you wanted to do it with relative ease