AuthorTopic: [WIP] Dinothawr  (Read 12406 times)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: [WIP] Dino Defrost

Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 10:19:03 am
Quick color edit:

I really feel like the icy environment is not having nearly as much of an effect on the dino's colors as it probably should. The highlights especially, I felt, were too warm. I pushed the highlights and shadows into blue, tried to keep midtones somewhat green.

//edit: fixed image link. You need a direct link to the image, something with a file extension. -ptoing
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:24:19 am by Dr D »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: [WIP] Dino Defrost

Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 01:38:38 am
Those eyeballs creep the hell out of me!
Can't you give him some eyelids? :D

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Re: [WIP] Dinothawr

Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 10:20:28 pm
Almost done with exams, so I thought I'd update this thread. :crazy:

I renamed the game so it's a little more catchy. I changed the dino's legs to make the perspective less wonky. I also enlarged the ice cube and tried to make it look more like ice. Not sure what style I want to go for with the text yet.

Can't you give him some eyelids? :D

Better now?

Here are the new tiles so far. I'm still in the process of softening up the rock tiles.

The requirements for the slippery tile set changed somewhat, so now I'm trying to emphasize the grid to make it easier to imagine the block paths. I ended up with a style of tiles which doesn't really give the impression of smooth ice. I was thinking I could add some brighter, diagonal lines on top to indicate smoothness or something like that. There's also the issue of style consistency within the set, which I'll have to focus on in a final pass.

Another important thing is the lighter borders around the edge tiles. Here's an example, where one of the ice blocks has been pushed onto an empty tile. I'm wondering if I need to emphasize the borders more or if it's easy enough to tell the difference between the two cases.

I also made a GUI mockup for the level selection screen. It looks fairly similar to what we have implemented, except we're not using a separate tile set to draw the miniature level.

At this stage, it doesn't seem worth it to add separate tile sets for the miniatures, but maybe once we're closer to finishing the game (or if enough people complain about it :P).

Oh! I just noticed that the colors in the screenshot are more washed out than in the mockup, so I'll have to look into that. :ouch: Edit: For some reason, images I save in Gimp won't appear correctly in Firefox.

Quick color edit:

I really feel like the icy environment is not having nearly as much of an effect on the dino's colors as it probably should. The highlights especially, I felt, were too warm. I pushed the highlights and shadows into blue, tried to keep midtones somewhat green.

I see what you mean, and I'd probably go with something less cheerful if it were any of my grimmer projects. I think the sunnier tone fits the mood better for a silly, cartoony game like this, though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:36:57 pm by Arachne »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 09:54:25 pm
Bumping this for the new year. :lala:
Here's a slight update for the title screen. I'll be back home in a week to hopefully get all the graphics updated to the latest style. ;D

I tried to sculpt the ice a little so it's shaded to match the shape, and I also made the blue surface seem more slippery. There's a bit of a discrepancy between the title screen and the in-game tiles at the moment. I'll probably leave the background simple with some rocky shapes hinted at or something like that. Not sure about the water droplet-like things in the logo.

We're almost done with the Android version now, so we're hoping to have something you can test (Windows/Mac OSX/Linux/Android/Raspberry Pi versions) before school starts mid-January. :crazy:

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 11:18:28 am
I've updated all the sprites to the new 16 x 17 size. :) One pixel extra makes a lot of difference, and getting rid of the outlines also helped.
I tried to give the dino more head movement when he walks so that it's easier to tell the difference between sliding and walking.

Edit: If anyone wants to try the game, we've made a feedback thread for Dinothawr on TIGSource with test builds for Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi and Android for now. :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:07:53 pm by Arachne »