AuthorTopic: Meat Bulb  (Read 5964 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: Meat Bulb

Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 12:14:28 pm
Tooled around with the "meat bulb" concept a bit. If you can take anything from it, feel free.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 12:20:27 pm
Thread reminds me of how the Headcrab looks in Super Meat Boy
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 01:41:23 pm
Quote from: Daimoth
I understand what you mean, and you're right. It would either be difficult or an error. I don't mind using cartoon-ey physics now and again, though. I'm very willing to leave a composition error in if I like the effect. Usually I end up scrapping it in favour of something more correct, but sometimes I get pleasantly surprised.

yeah 'happy accidents' as the latest catch phrase seems to be, working from an "error" as a frame of reference to flesh out something that works can be good at times, because along the way you trigger thoughts and solutions you wouldn't have otherwise had if you went with a more straightforward logical approach, similar if not the same as working from abstraction, creating something almost recklessly, standing back for a moment and then thinking upon it and applying logic to it to evolve it into something more, something interesting compelling and in some contexts plausible, but it should be said there is a difference between grabbing inspiration from abstraction and just plain bad/impractical design choices, leaving something from the beginning relatively vague yet defined or hinting at something enough you could explore multiple directions and if one is a dead end going back and pursuing another, it is potentially good, and has far more chances to be original than referencing and pulling inspiration from everything, but ideally you do a bit of both, and marrying/committing to any of your concepts ideas in spite of obvious flaws that will weaken the overall design if pursued, should should of course be consciously avoided, in time it'll become easy for your designs to develop organically, I guess you build a mental library of what does and doesn't work and due to experience and the knowledge gained you can pre emptively avoid heartache and wasting precious time on the dead ends, but yeah sometimes the ridiculous can be pulled of, but then only in the right setting, nightmarish horror can definitely defy logic and reality to some extent.

and there are a few games i've seen that do that free moving iso effectively, one was mentioned recently on the forums boktai, and there is another one in particular on the GBA that had top down semi ISO perspective with 8 directional motion and animated player sprites, it was quite action oriented looked like a decent game too, pixel art too. it was essentially top down with dimetrically diagonal walls and level features, a fusion between topdown and ISO. I'll link some screen shots if i ever figure out what it was.
Quote from: Daimoth
Loved the additional edits, btw. What were you going for with the red/brown palette?

well the title says meat, colour of meat (kinda) nuf said, was just an experiment and just to show you a direction you could push it or most likely one of the variations you've mentioned, and agree with you about avoiding simple palette swaps, but along with any additions and modifications to design you'll probably wanna do some significant and noticeable colour and tonal changes too. some of surt's concept examples have some pretty strong aspects to use as a basis, I particularly like his interpretation and extension of the Bulb, in the exploration of a plant-bulb-flower derivation, and they actually have an Edmund McMillen vibe to them (Team Meat art director/designer)

heh headcrabs and team meat association, headcrabs came to mind with me too, most likely due to the knuckle/finger style limbs I'd wager, OT:is the head crab another player skin, cross promotion for steam release?

now to sleep, so amazingly tired hope this post was coherent  :lol: