AuthorTopic: Pyxel Edit pixel art editor  (Read 62114 times)

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Re: Pyxel Edit pixel art editor

Reply #90 on: September 24, 2013, 09:50:03 pm

Oh, I see.  Well, how about this:   What if, when you right click on an empty pixel, it auto selects the eraser for you, and when you right click on an opaque pixel, it auto selects the pen tool and that color?
Yeah that could work...

Also, I did have a little trouble pasting in my activation for the updated version, so the bug or whatever quirk it is, still exists.
I did what I described above though, and it lit up the activation text, so not too troublesome.
That's odd. Which OS are you on?

I don't mean to be annoying, but I've been working on some terrain tiles today, and I've got another suggestion for Pyxel Edit, if you don't mind hearing it.

Often, I'll decide to alter a single pixel or two on a specific tile, and though all tiles with that index are updated, other tiles, which are almost identical, but have been altered for different situations i.e. edge tile, edge tile with bottom, edge tile with top detail, etc,.. These tiles I need to remember to update later, while observing the latest revision side by side with it.

Is there a way to turn on and off a secondary shared index? And if not, might you consider adding such a thing?
Example: *Index On* Basic tile created, *Index Off* situational detail added, *Index On* minor pixel adjustment made (pixel is added to the same coordinates in all, all though tiles aren't copies).. and turned on and off again later as needed..
You are not the first to suggest such a feature. I'm not sure how practical it would be though. I could imagine maybe selecting multiple tiles in the tileset somehow and draw in all of them simultaneously.

Got it working.

Out of curiosity, how do the default shortcuts compare to whatever shortcuts are used in other programs? I hope I didn't teach myself a bad set of muscle memory with my own set of custom shortcuts on graphicsgale.  :yell:
Glad it worked out for you.  :)
I'm not sure how standardized the shortcut keys are, probably not that much. I have tried to follow Photoshop as often as possible though.

You don't need to do any blending. Just pick the pixel value of the transparent pixel, so you can paint with it like any other pixel value. Solid or fully transparent. Or am I missing something?  ??? I don't think the colour picker is really usable in its current state.
The idea is currently that the picker only picks the color, and not the opacity. The thing is that I plan to add an opacity slider to the pen tool, which would require alpha blending. If the pixel values would just be set to the opacity value it would be pretty counter-intuitive (drawing with low alpha would erase previous pixels), although it could work like that in a second mode.

Offline Polioliolio

• View Profile

Reply #91 on: October 07, 2013, 06:47:27 pm
Because of certain alterations on a similar tile (edge, round edge, thin edge, slope edge etc).. I now have over 100 tiles of rock and grass in a single tileset.
It's starting to get confusing, and without placing easy to understand example structures on the canvas, I'm afraid things'll get difficult to follow, very quickly.

What would you say about some kind of annotation system, where if one were to hover over a tile, perhaps with a certain tool selected, some editable text will pop up?
It'd be very handy to help keep things organized.

edit:

Also just noticed that when you increase the canvas size, animation frames get displaced from their original positions.

Offline Antylum

• View Profile

Reply #92 on: October 13, 2013, 01:59:25 pm
Could you add some features for quick game prototyping, like:

- collision property of the tile
- ability to control tile-sprite, used for player, with simple WASD or arrows control scheme. Also camera movement, if the map is too big(or do you have it now?) What is the largest size of the map that is supported?
- mini-view window, representing downscaled hole map(also player movement in real-time)
- animated and/or moving tiles(for example, animated waterfall - not moving, clouds - moving animated object)

I haven't tried Pyxeledit yet, only watching tutorial videos in the description, so I may be wrong, and some of these features are already implemented.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #93 on: October 14, 2013, 12:42:19 pm
- ability to control tile-sprite, used for player, with simple WASD or arrows control scheme.
I don't think this needs a specific functionality in the program, especially since each game needs different sprite, run speed, jump curve.... In order to see if a jump is doable, you need the very precise physics of the game.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #94 on: July 31, 2014, 07:33:11 pm
Hey, just got a new email about the newest version.

Gonna bump this thread to let people know that this is apparently still in development

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #95 on: April 27, 2015, 09:03:03 am
I have just tried out Pyxel edit for some animations and heres some things I noticed:

Arrow Keys: these could be so much more useful! How about apple + arrow to change frame & arrow to move layer contents by 1 pixel?

V Key: please assign this to move later or selection contents tool... pressing Apple + T every time you want to move something is taxing.

M Key: in photoshop this is Marquee (S key in Pyxel edit) - would be nice if we could just setup the shortcuts our selves, then you wouldn't have to choose whats best for us ;)

Palette: would be nice to be able to import your own palette from an .ase or whatever.

Cheers!
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!

Offline Theoden

• View Profile
    • My Gallery

Reply #96 on: June 21, 2015, 10:28:59 pm
Just bought it. Really helpful software.

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #97 on: July 02, 2015, 09:53:47 pm
I've been using this program tons recently, it's really been super helpful. Thanks for making it!

There are some features I still would love to see though. Is there a way to place multiple tiles at once? Like, say I select a 3x3 tree; I want to place the entire tree with one click, rather than going back and forth between the tileset to place each block of the tree.

Similarly, a feature that'd let you make meta-tiles that would auto-tile would be nice, sort of like what the RPG Maker programs let you do with textures like grass, water, sand, etc. For example, if I were placing grass tiles on dirt, instead of manually placing the border between the grass and dirt in each instance, I'd put the transition-grass tiles in a template and then just draw a blob of grass and let the program automatically place the transitions in the appropriate positions.

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #98 on: July 02, 2015, 11:14:25 pm
A better way to contact the developer is probably twitter or the PyxelEdit forum. Multi tile placing is an often requested feature. He knows we want it, but it may be a while before the feature arrives.

I know your suffering. I've gotta use 8x8 tiles...

What I used to do is just export the image, do the copy and paste with another image editor, then reimport in pyxeledit which will re-identify the tiles.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:17:15 pm by Kasumi »
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES