AuthorTopic: Pyxel Edit pixel art editor  (Read 62045 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: Pyxel Edit pixel art editor

Reply #80 on: September 21, 2013, 10:10:30 pm
Cool an update.

Zoom works great now. :)

Got to second Poli about being able to colour pick transparent. It took me a while to figure out why the colour picker wasn't working as I expected.

GUI nitpicks:
Palette panel column count looks to be fixed at 12. Can be clipped is the panel width is reduced. It'd be nice if a fixed column count was configurable per project to best suit the chosen palette as well as an option to fit panel width. Failing that a fixed value of 16 would be nicer than 12 as many palettes are built around power of 2 length ramps.
Tool settings for pen tool, brush size and brush shape (brush construction related) are separated by line style (stroke related). This is the kind of thing that bugs me. :P
On-canvas brush preview draws over the top of the tile grid lines.
It'd be cool if there was an option for tile indices to show when using tile-oriented tools but remain hidden when using pixel-oriented tools. The button in the tile draw tool options kind of suggests this.

Small bug:
If you toggle the tile indices flag with the hot key the menu entry doesn't reflect the current state of the flag.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:31:48 pm by surt »

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #81 on: September 22, 2013, 02:42:58 pm
I just got myself time to poke with this editor since I just got my not-sucky computer up and running. For some reason my activation code does not work  :ouch:

Offline Polioliolio

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: September 22, 2013, 03:45:59 pm
I just got myself time to poke with this editor since I just got my not-sucky computer up and running. For some reason my activation code does not work  :ouch:

Mine has the same problem. 

First, paste it in.  Then delete the space after '--- Begin Activation Key ---' and then add it back in by pressing enter.
For some reason you just have to jostle it around or something.  Simply pasting it in doesn't do it for me.

Anyway, it'll work.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #83 on: September 23, 2013, 08:13:01 am

First, paste it in.  Then delete the space after and then add it back in by pressing enter.
For some reason you just have to jostle it around or something.  Simply pasting it in doesn't do it for me.

Anyway, it'll work.

For me, there is no space after the '--- Begin Activation Key ---'... there is a break but no space.

Offline Polioliolio

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: September 23, 2013, 09:30:42 am

First, paste it in.  Then delete the space after and then add it back in by pressing enter.

Anyway, it'll work.

For me, there is no space after the '--- Begin Activation Key ---'... there is a break but no space.

Sorry, that's what I meant.
I paste it in.. still not working. Remove the break, put it back in with enter, and suddenly it reads it.

It just doesn't seem to like the paste function, so work it in a bit.

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #85 on: September 23, 2013, 12:17:14 pm
There was a bug in the last version that made activation break for certain special characters, it should work in the latest version (0.3.101). Sorry about that!

If that does not seem to be the problem let me know and I'll look into it further.

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #86 on: September 23, 2013, 12:26:19 pm
I have a suggestion.

So I like that you can right click on an empty tile to erase other tiles on the canvas, the same way that you can right click on any tile to place it again.
Do you think you could implement the same effect for the pen tool?  I have the habit of right clicking on an empty spot to gain it's 'empty properties' like you would right click on another pixel to sample its color.

Oh, and once again, good work. Great program.  :)

I have been considering that, but drawing "absolute pixel values" makes it impossible to draw with opacity, blending a brush color with the existing color in the canvas. Right now the current color is always fully opaque, although alpha drawing is not implemented.
Maybe I should make it an option of the pen tool though, to either "blend" or "set" pixels.

Cool an update.

Zoom works great now. :)

Got to second Poli about being able to colour pick transparent. It took me a while to figure out why the colour picker wasn't working as I expected.

GUI nitpicks:
Palette panel column count looks to be fixed at 12. Can be clipped is the panel width is reduced. It'd be nice if a fixed column count was configurable per project to best suit the chosen palette as well as an option to fit panel width. Failing that a fixed value of 16 would be nicer than 12 as many palettes are built around power of 2 length ramps.
Tool settings for pen tool, brush size and brush shape (brush construction related) are separated by line style (stroke related). This is the kind of thing that bugs me. :P
On-canvas brush preview draws over the top of the tile grid lines.
It'd be cool if there was an option for tile indices to show when using tile-oriented tools but remain hidden when using pixel-oriented tools. The button in the tile draw tool options kind of suggests this.

Small bug:
If you toggle the tile indices flag with the hot key the menu entry doesn't reflect the current state of the flag.

Yeah, the palette needs some work. My plan is to make the width configurable per document, just like with the tileset width. Possibly the number of swatches will also be fixed, so that you can structure the palette more freely.
Good point about the line style, I will move it to be more logically grouped.
Hmm, yeah. Myabe it's a good idea to hide the tile indices unless using the tile tool...

Offline Polioliolio

• View Profile

Reply #87 on: September 23, 2013, 09:13:30 pm
I have been considering that, but drawing "absolute pixel values" makes it impossible to draw with opacity, blending a brush color with the existing color in the canvas. Right now the current color is always fully opaque, although alpha drawing is not implemented.
Maybe I should make it an option of the pen tool though, to either "blend" or "set" pixels.

Oh, I see.  Well, how about this:   What if, when you right click on an empty pixel, it auto selects the eraser for you, and when you right click on an opaque pixel, it auto selects the pen tool and that color?

Also, I did have a little trouble pasting in my activation for the updated version, so the bug or whatever quirk it is, still exists.
I did what I described above though, and it lit up the activation text, so not too troublesome.

edit:

I don't mean to be annoying, but I've been working on some terrain tiles today, and I've got another suggestion for Pyxel Edit, if you don't mind hearing it.

Often, I'll decide to alter a single pixel or two on a specific tile, and though all tiles with that index are updated, other tiles, which are almost identical, but have been altered for different situations i.e. edge tile, edge tile with bottom, edge tile with top detail, etc,.. These tiles I need to remember to update later, while observing the latest revision side by side with it.

Is there a way to turn on and off a secondary shared index? And if not, might you consider adding such a thing?
Example: *Index On* Basic tile created, *Index Off* situational detail added, *Index On* minor pixel adjustment made (pixel is added to the same coordinates in all, all though tiles aren't copies).. and turned on and off again later as needed..

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:58:32 pm by Polioliolio »

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #88 on: September 24, 2013, 06:42:50 am
Got it working.

Out of curiosity, how do the default shortcuts compare to whatever shortcuts are used in other programs? I hope I didn't teach myself a bad set of muscle memory with my own set of custom shortcuts on graphicsgale.  :yell:

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #89 on: September 24, 2013, 08:43:40 am
You don't need to do any blending. Just pick the pixel value of the transparent pixel, so you can paint with it like any other pixel value. Solid or fully transparent. Or am I missing something?  ??? I don't think the colour picker is really usable in its current state.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:45:41 am by surt »