AuthorTopic: Pyxel Edit pixel art editor  (Read 62113 times)

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Re: Pyxel Edit pixel art editor

Reply #60 on: September 08, 2013, 08:54:07 pm
Thanks for the feedback, Surt.

Nice to see it's got docking panels now.

The slow animated zoom is really horrible.  :ouch: I want to zoom in on an area by ticking the mouse wheel up 3 times and be immediately zoomed in 8x. I want to be able to instantly zoom in and out to any desired zoom level. I don't want to be furiously spinning the mouse wheel for a minute.
Do you mean at high zoom levels, like over ~2000%?

The palette editing workflow needs a lot of work. I can't find any way to merge colours, or to manually reorder colours. Opening up the colour selector and changing the colour doesn't change the palette entry, awkwardly need a special duplicate colour selector from the menu. The current tool colour swatches are right over the opposite side of the screen from the palette so a lot of travel for colour work.
Yeah, I agree the palette has been overlooked. It's almost the same as in the old free version. It needs work.

Is there no repeating tile view/editing for working on seamless tiles? This seems to me to be the single most natural feature for a tile-oriented editor.
How do you mean? You can place a number of instances of a tile and edit it seamlessly. Press W or Tab to see placed tile indices.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #61 on: September 09, 2013, 08:17:56 am
Do you mean at high zoom levels, like over ~2000%?
All zoom levels. When I spin the mouse wheel a number of clicks it redraws every intermediate zoom with a half second delay for each. This isn't helped by the apparent linear scaling of zoom steps. Exponential scaling is most desirable for me (eg. 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32), or step through a custom list of zoom levels like in GraphicsGale.
If this isn't normal behaviour then it might be that I'm running it on linux by way of Wine, given that Air has been abandoned on linux. If only this were ported to Haxe for a native linux build.  :P

How do you mean? You can place a number of instances of a tile and edit it seamlessly. Press W or Tab to see placed tile indices.
I didn't think of that and it's workable, but you've still got to replace those instances for every different tile you want to edit.
The ideal would be to toggle repeat mode and have the image view filled with the repeating tile and edit it seamlessly.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:21:00 am by surt »

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: September 09, 2013, 12:20:17 pm
Surt, you shouldn't ever need to fill a screen with a single tile just to preview how it behaves when tiled :
If a tile needs tiling on all 4 edges, it's because one of your maps or mockups is going to use this pattern.
So you have to first place the/a new tile in as many places as you need it, and then you modify it graphically to resemble what you need.
(In Grafx2 I implemented identical workflow, it completely replaces the need for a "repeating mode", and works with any repetition pattern instead of just 1x1)

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: September 09, 2013, 04:37:51 pm
All zoom levels. When I spin the mouse wheel a number of clicks it redraws every intermediate zoom with a half second delay for each. This isn't helped by the apparent linear scaling of zoom steps. Exponential scaling is most desirable for me (eg. 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32), or step through a custom list of zoom levels like in GraphicsGale.
If this isn't normal behaviour then it might be that I'm running it on linux by way of Wine, given that Air has been abandoned on linux. If only this were ported to Haxe for a native linux build.  :P
Half a second sounds painful... is it as sluggish when you pan around the canvas?
I'll change to exponential scale levels, good idea.

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #64 on: September 09, 2013, 10:13:01 pm
Is there a way to make an animation by importing several gif frames made outside of Pyxel Edit? Everything's drawn already, just need to place each frame.

Also, it would be really helpful if you could implement an option for different frame rates per frame. With this feature I could replace my current animating software with yours. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:33:02 pm by breakfast »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #65 on: September 10, 2013, 08:32:25 am
Half a second sounds painful... is it as sluggish when you pan around the canvas?
I'll change to exponential scale levels, good idea.
No panning's all fine.
Booted into windows and tried it and the lag between zoom levels isn't so noticable, so it's probably just Wine.
With exponential zoom levels it'd probably be tolerable.

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: September 12, 2013, 11:11:03 am
Is there a way to make an animation by importing several gif frames made outside of Pyxel Edit? Everything's drawn already, just need to place each frame.

Also, it would be really helpful if you could implement an option for different frame rates per frame. With this feature I could replace my current animating software with yours. Thanks!
There's no support for importing animated gif's yet unfortunately, so you'd have to convert it to separate files or a sprite sheet and then import it.
Per-frame delays are a possible addition. I'm thinking of still having the base frame delay, but adding delay multipliers per frame (as a percentage), that way you can easily change the overall speed of the animation.

Booted into windows and tried it and the lag between zoom levels isn't so noticable, so it's probably just Wine.
With exponential zoom levels it'd probably be tolerable.
I see, good to hear. I will fix the zoom levels.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #67 on: September 12, 2013, 08:30:41 pm
A percentage sounds weird..
Milliseconds is pretty much standard, so it's best to go with whatever people are used to.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #68 on: September 12, 2013, 08:36:50 pm
How about a base "tick" duration with per-frame duration as an integer number of "ticks".

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: September 13, 2013, 11:40:36 am
A percentage sounds weird..
Milliseconds is pretty much standard, so it's best to go with whatever people are used to.
What I mean is having a base frame duration (in millisecs), but making it possible to make some frames longer or shorter with a multiplier.
Of course I could also just have one frame duration per frame but that is more unwieldy when you only care about the overall speed, which I think many people do. Being able to change the base duration means you don't have to change each frame separately.

How about a base "tick" duration with per-frame duration as an integer number of "ticks".
This is basically what I'm thinking of, only with more freedom for fractions of ticks. 1 tick = 1.0 = 100%