AuthorTopic: Pyxel Edit pixel art editor  (Read 62064 times)

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Re: Pyxel Edit pixel art editor

Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 02:45:15 am
yeah nice palette approach, played with it some, and one suggestion would be a darker grey so it has more flexibility in darker scenes, and would essentially become a dark end of the ramp for every colour

and my 2 cents about the licensing, there is already a saturation of tools available and some free, to stand out make sure you implement some features that the others lack, and if you do have competent animation then yeah especially compared to pro motions licensing and prices it'll definitely be worth and very attractive between $10-30
I think $10 will be more attractive generally and you'll have more purchases from people who think 20 might be a tad too much,
at least until you fully implement some of the heavier features, and then as an early adopter's incentive it seems like a good idea to specify how much it will be when you go 1.0 and of course early adopter's should get all updates included, and my suggestion would be to have a Donate button on your site there is goodwill and gratitude around for projects such as these, and the ease of a donation feature may well sway them to throw a few dollars your way =) and the possibility of them feeling guilty for paying so little for it may sway them too  :lol:

and yeah having a don't release any imagery made with this software will likely be ignored by a lot of people and potentially turn off the genuine so I'd personally not recommend that approach, free ed and Pro ed sounds like a win-win situation, especially if the user loves the interface and gets to the point they start craving the additional features

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 04:26:34 pm
Seiseki & Grimsane:
Yes, I think you are right. I definitely don't want to hold anyones work hostage, that's just dumb. There's no way for me to claim that something was made using the program so all that would achieve would be to turn off the honest people from using the program.

A basic and pro version is probably a good way to go...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:28:13 pm by Danik »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 01:19:57 am
you should rename the file to .air, I was so confused because I couldn't remember how I ran it last time and I kept unzipping the download and trying to run the .swf somehow. :D
So I tried renaming it to .air and it was instantly recognized by adobe air as an install package.

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 07:35:35 am
Isn't it called .air?  ???
Maybe your browser did something funny to it when you downloaded it. Which browser do you use?

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 03:37:44 pm
Isn't it called .air?  ???
Maybe your browser did something funny to it when you downloaded it. Which browser do you use?

Opera, it's saving as .zip.
There used to be a link where it would open with air, but now it just saves as a zip file.. :o

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: July 10, 2012, 07:39:16 pm
I had the exact same issue when I downloaded the Zip when you had both options, it's .swf inside the zip, and refused to run at all, I didn't think of renaming it at the time,

I don't see it likely that a browser could rename the file extension within an archive

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: July 10, 2012, 10:24:29 pm
Thats really wierd. I don't have any zip files for download anywhere on the site. :S
Looks like it's a server configuration issue, gnuski.blogspot.com/2012/06/adobe-air-downloading-as-zip-files-on.html.
Turns out .air files are actually renamed zip files.  ::)
I have redirected the download link to my dropbox account for the moment. Hope that fixes it.

Thanks for letting me know!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:26:11 pm by Danik »

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 09:10:18 am
One suggestion about the website : You may want to write a date next to the download link of the beta, and maybe changelog entries (or at least on some versions that you consider landmarks). This would give people a better idea that they just found something recent and active, and people who have already tested the program will easier see if they have the latest or not.
It's double-edged though, as it will be very visible if the project goes into a hiatus.

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 07:07:17 pm
One suggestion about the website : You may want to write a date next to the download link of the beta, and maybe changelog entries (or at least on some versions that you consider landmarks). This would give people a better idea that they just found something recent and active, and people who have already tested the program will easier see if they have the latest or not.
It's double-edged though, as it will be very visible if the project goes into a hiatus.

Yea, that's probably a good idea, I'll do that.

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 08:45:47 am
So I just started seriously using this, and I already can't imagine doing tiles any other way.

One feature I would like is a way to lock tiles from being edited. Sometimes one tile is as I want it, and right now I feel I have to be super careful when trying to edit other tiles I want to make link to it. It'd be neat if I could just lock the tiles that are done so brush strokes would just be ignored on them. Then I could edit new tiles without walking on eggshells around the borders of finished tile.

Another feature I'd like is a way to see the tile indices on the Tileset window. You can make them appear on the map with TAB, but then I can't quickly see which tiles they are in the tileset. I found it hard to recreate structure of multiple tiles because of this. I can see on the map that I want a square of indices 11, 9, 3, and 4. But if I want to create that elsewhere, I can't quickly see which in the tile set is number 4.
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES