AuthorTopic: Pyxel Edit pixel art editor  (Read 62067 times)

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Re: Pyxel Edit pixel art editor

Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 09:09:28 pm
You have convinced me. :)
It's just different from the other palettes, maybe its purpose is different. It's still nice so I might add it to the program anyway.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 10:31:11 pm
I'm sure there are many ways to optimize a palette, but here's a partial attempt to guestimate what the intended palette balance would be and attempt at unifying/optimizing it a tad, it's only partially done, stopped to see if it is even remotely close to what should be done?
using perceptual contrast and greyscale value-luminance averages to make the contrast stepping consistent. and some real quick suggestions on possible colours to fill out the 32 slots

remarkably I actually did a palette not too long ago using base increments to decrease the colour choice to 4bit per channel(if i recall, could've been 2 bit, I can only remember it involved breaking the 0-255~256 choice down into steps of say 8 or 16, I took ages coming up with my own reference sheet and creating the resulting palettes for each bit range and colour ranges (only really low bit ranges, upto 8bit i think), but it died with my old PC) and then made my own palette and tweaked it a bit after choosing those, and when I discovered Arne's palette awhile ago it was incredibly similar to what I had done, but mine was a tone or two darker and tinted slightly differently but the core range was the same found it quite interesting :B guess he had a similar logical approach? although i might add I was consciously influenced by text I read somewhere on how they chose palettes for old palette restricted consoles and PCs, maybe he was too? :crazy:

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 08:18:25 am
remarkably I actually did a palette not too long ago using base increments to decrease the colour choice to 4bit per channel(if i recall, could've been 2 bit, I can only remember it involved breaking the 0-255~256 choice down into steps of say 8 or 16, I took ages coming up with my own reference sheet and creating the resulting palettes for each bit range and colour ranges (only really low bit ranges, upto 8bit i think), but it died with my old PC)

.. I did that once, too. These days I just use the RGB intensity levels restriction in Grafx2 (right click on 'Pal' button). Saves all that repetitive grunt work..
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 07:05:26 pm
Grimsane, I think it's a good start.
I worked on it some more based on your palette, made the greys pure, added a skin color and then I tweaked some of the other colors to be more fitting when I drew the test sprites under the palette. There are a lot of browns/oranges now, maybe one could be replaced with a more important color.

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 01:12:35 am
Wow this editor is really brilliant :o. Great job, especially on the tile editor.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 03:06:10 pm
(Edit: not tested, I can't use AIR. These are just my thoughts based on the screenshots)
I think that heavy tile users are going to want tools that help them detect single-use (or little-used) tiles : So maybe a usage count, and also probably a 'find' function to locate all instances of a tile. This would then lead to a 'replace' function.

While laying out existing tiles, do you plan on doing a helper for "transition" tiles (edges) ? Some time ago I made such a tool as a Lua script in Mappy, it avoided all the hassle of picking the correct edges tiles for Tranzam remake:
http://retrospec.sgn.net/screenshots.php?link=tranzam

Last, about the license: If you release a full working version 'free for personal use', aren't you afraid that nobody will buy it ?

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 08:48:29 pm
(Edit: not tested, I can't use AIR. These are just my thoughts based on the screenshots)
I think that heavy tile users are going to want tools that help them detect single-use (or little-used) tiles : So maybe a usage count, and also probably a 'find' function to locate all instances of a tile. This would then lead to a 'replace' function.

While laying out existing tiles, do you plan on doing a helper for "transition" tiles (edges) ? Some time ago I made such a tool as a Lua script in Mappy, it avoided all the hassle of picking the correct edges tiles for Tranzam remake:
http://retrospec.sgn.net/screenshots.php?link=tranzam

Last, about the license: If you release a full working version 'free for personal use', aren't you afraid that nobody will buy it ?

Some good points there, thanks. Yes, I have planned indicating all instances of a tile when you mouse over it in the tile set window. Usage count and replace are good ideas too.

I do have 'auto-tiling' planned also, but I have not yet decided how that should work exactly.

About the license, I guess I will have to trust people not to use it for commercial purposes without a license. An alternative would be to make a pro version, and having for example animation support and gif export only in the pro version, I have been considering that also. I don't want to piss people off, but I still want to have enough income from it to justify continuing the development.

Wow this editor is really brilliant :o. Great job, especially on the tile editor.
Thanks a lot.  :)

Offline Ravenseye

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 06:13:19 pm
How much will you be asking for for this tool?

Offline Danik

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 07:21:47 pm
How much will you be asking for for this tool?
Probably $10-20, I have not decided yet.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 12:03:16 am
I'd buy it if there was a pro version with animation support. 10-20$ sounds like a steal!

When I first read about having to buy a license to release art made through pyxel it felt like you were keeping my work hostage (even though I haven't actually made anything with pyxel, apart from messing around).
Then I realized, well of course he should be able to charge for this, it's a great program! But the thought of your work not really belonging to yourself when using the program felt really strange.
You should make it abundantly clear that the free version is for private use only, or strip some of the features to include in the pro version.