AuthorTopic: [WIP?] RPGish stuff mockup  (Read 6114 times)

Offline alessandroLino

• View Profile

Re: [WIP?] RPGish stuff mockup

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 03:27:02 pm
Update time!

Still working on the bricks, but i guess i'm going the right way! Made the bricks smaller cause it was easier to tile them in the 'ceiling' part, still need a bit of work there on the tiling though. Also, any thoughts on having few bricks instead of everything filled? I think that having more bricks made the wall kinda bright, and i might go for a darker style like diablo.

About the plants, i think i'll need to work them a bit more on the colors, but i'm pretty happy with the second one, it fits with the bricks style, it might clash with the trees outside, but i was going to rework them anyway. :crazy:

ps: the darker mockup was just a test and i think i screwed it up.
pps: this thing is pretty damn hard.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 04:27:56 pm
I think that is a step in the wrong direction, omitting the bricks all together doesn't add to their readability or aesthetic, you should just vary the lightness and darkness of different tiles
like this:

and the border should be more established this is just a simplified border edit, but you could have a black line buffering/separating them. or try a higher contrasting colour, also the the door doesn't necessarily need the outline, was just throwing that in, the character looks interesting, why not push the asymmetry? you have an as asymmetric pose but symmetrical detail to some degree, suggestion included in edit.

and the vines I like the simplicity and readability of the rightmost vines and they imply a smaller scale. which fits your world and characters more in my opinion

Offline alessandroLino

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 07:46:46 pm
Ok, so, i didn't have much success this time :(

Heres a poorly made mockup of the changes i've made so far, and the problem is mostly the ceiling part. I've tried alot of things (right part of the image), colors, the black outline, and while it might have chances of looking decent, i've focused on making it tileable(?) and wanted to align the bricks on the ceiling with the wall part, but i couldn't find a way that would tile properly. So for now it's just a placeholder, i'll try to search for some games with this kind of representation for some reference, or maybe someone has any idea on how to tile this? :-[

I'm now working on the floor and tried to make it look more flat, i guess it looks acceptable and just needs more variation, but still, any comments on this?