AuthorTopic: Portrait  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Kazuma11

• Where you see risk, I see opportunity.
    • View Profile

Portrait

on: June 14, 2012, 06:11:40 am
Hey there!

I've been working on a portrait from my favorite anime character - Kazuma.

I've spent the time trying to get down his facial outline cleaned up, but been having some trouble trying to smoothen out the lines. Now, I'm not good at AA'ing and would love for you guys to help me out in that area.

I tried AA'ing his left cheek area myself but I don't think it turned out so well. I'm aiming to keep the same anime style it has on the reference.

And here's what I have so far.

I hope you guys can guide me in the right direction!
Thanks in advanced.

Offline Kazuma11

• View Profile

Re: Portrait

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 11:11:38 am
Adding some of the facial features in.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 11:48:40 am
the left eye (on the right) seems quite far away from the nose line, right now.

Offline Kazuma11

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 01:25:11 pm
Sorry for the long delay. Been busy over the week. I had some time to work on it a little.

I've scaled it down a bit to make it easier on me since I don't usually work on big scales. I'm kinda fond of the thick outline it has but would still like to receive help on how I can make it look smoother.

I'm having a hard time figuring out a way to shade his ear without having it to look weird. I'll try to finish his neck sometime today or tomorrow so I can start working on his hair/armor.

Again, thanks in advanced for any comments and tips. I truly appriciate all the help.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 02:49:05 pm
you didn't really incorporate Pype's crit, and here is a fast example of how you'd most likely shade the ear, it is going into the distance and is not the focal point, so I'd recommend this, also the shape is a bit off so there's a pointer to what would look more appropriate and you should think about the mass of the hair, quick block-in, what is that part highlighted in green? because If it is hair it is at an extremely odd angle in relation to the likely flow of hair, overall the facial shape and anime features are looking a lot tighter since the last WiP you submitted
Ed: more like this maybe, after looking at my split second scribble hair block in on the submitted edit, i figured it might actually prove counter-intuitive as it doesn't look anatomically correct to the scalp or hair volume, will leave it there to show you what to avoid :P
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 02:54:02 pm by Grimsane »

Offline Kazuma11

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 03:21:47 pm
Thanks for the awesome edit! The ear looks much much better now and will surely study it.

As for the green shaded area it's supposed to be part of his armor. I haven't actually outlined it along with the hair yet as I'm wanting to finish his face and neck first. But here's another picture to see if it can be any clearer.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 03:54:32 pm
you're welcome. and ah I was wondering if it was something along those lines, I'd recommend removing it, concentrating on the form, and of course avoid concentrating on any detailing in that area, and then drawing it in after, right now the angle is completely off from the perspective you have established in your piece, it's like it'd match the angle of the image you posted. how much of the character are you planning to render? (interesting character, what is it from?) anyway keep at it :y: