AuthorTopic: tutorial sprites  (Read 13731 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

tutorial sprites

on: June 14, 2012, 12:41:41 am

just the sprites for the perspective tutorial. maybe anyone has something awesome to add. I played a bit around with the colors already. (the perspective should be right  ;D) Maybe they need some more polishing.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: tutorial sprites

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 01:18:40 am
Is that image hosting site not available in Taiwan because i haven't been able to see any of the images  :'(

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 04:05:28 am
Unless I've misunderstood the tutorial, I think it would be clearer to not have the warping/fisheye type effect. Also the rings on a barrel aren't segmented :P

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 04:10:28 am
Are rings on barrels really segmented?
According to google.. nope..

They do become much clearer without the warping though.
Also they're a bit on the dark side.
Otherwise the only issue I had was that the crate didn't really look like a crate, because the perspective seemed kinda unclear.
But with Jeremys edit, it looks much better.

I really love the style btw, awesome work and awesome tutorials!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:12:39 am by Seiseki »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 03:41:19 pm
yeah but they also become much more boring in my eyes. but it's worth to make a compromise - definitely. the barrel rings weren't meant to be segmented too. It seems that the shading don't worked how I have imagined it. I also removed this. THanks Jeremy

Once I am ready for happy and bright pieces I'll let you know it Seiseki. The contrast is very harsh with pixelation's bright background, this destroys the colors. Because of this I am posting it with a darker background.
I improved the colors further and made a new sprite - a column which is made out of blocks and cylinders.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 03:55:17 pm
Haha, on that background, it's like night and day..
Didn't even notice how heavily tinted the highlights and shadows were.

The column looks great, very detailed. Perhaps a bit too much dithering though.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 07:23:07 pm

for some reason to me the column seems more top down than the rest, mostly the base I think, that or it could just be the scale compared to your other objects, and I'm really fond of the style, and after staring for along while I'm not really perceiving the same depth with the chest, it reads more front on to me, maybe due to the lack of overlap on the lid, or the consistent highlights not entirely sure, although I suspect in a mockup or in game especially if animated to open, it'd look perfectly fine. or maybe I'm just too tired right now to tell  :lol:

experimented a bit to see if I was crazy or not,
Ed: <reinforced perspective
also I think the assets especially the column would fit in more in a game context if you made them with a strict relation to a grid, and it's more what I am used to seeing in top down RPGs, you guys were talking about axonometric Vs Oblique, to be honest I've always and most games I've studied have strictly used the grid itself to decide the ratios/perspective angle and it establishes what the viewing angle is. this edit of the column just aligns the perspective to a 32x grid

and that alone definitely brings its viewing angle down. 2D spaces have an extremely limited range of what can be pulled off in game and look cohesive in relation to character and environment, you can push various variations but if you are sticking solely to a grid like almost every 2D game does, then you'll find yourself matching your props and objects to that ratio the tiles establish, hope you follow what I mean because what you're doing deviates from that to some extent, and I was under the impression you were definitely pushing your perspective in a game art context.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:35:14 pm by Grimsane »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 10:16:10 pm
First of all I made myself some 3/4 planes with the correct measurements. after this I compared them with the sprites. As it seems I had some minor +-1px deviations which caused heavily problems. Especially because the placement of the sprites next to each other was the worst possibility (which was good to point out the mistake).
I also removed a bit of the dithering at the column.

I really like what you did with the chest. seems to be pretty effective. I also changed the top part a bit more and re-aliased the other parts.

Really big thanks Grimsane.

Although the sprites are meant for games I don't really like it when tiles end where a grid line is. They are usable for a game the way they are and I can't underline the sentence "sticking solely to a grid like almost every 2D game does" - lots of the graphicians who did games don't even thought about the relation of their perspective, they just made it fine to look at, which is nothing bad - but there are also lots of worse examples with clashing perspectives and that are for me most games, because if I am thinking of good "pixel RPGs" I can number out about 20, but there are tons of pixel rpgs and the most of the ones I saw weren't made very well. The grid is a necessarity for game tiles (or a limitation you have), the aestethics are something you can handle pretty free within your limitations and I am doing this with not following strictly the grid.
This doesn't mean that I am not pushing these sprites/tiles in a game art context.
Atm I am thinking that it's pretty useless to use pixel technique for pieces which aren't meant for games or aren't animations.
But this stuff is all about the point of viewing and not really artistically important.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:20:28 pm by Cyangmou »

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:09:15 am
Yeah, apropos the tiling factor: the exact scaling is the whole point of these and since none of them actually need to mesh it's not a concern ;D

They're all really nice looking and demonstrate a good range of simple forms and ubiquitous props but the column is lit differently from the others with that strong lefthand bias and the high contrast of it's (the column's) highlights appear metallic; I'd be tempted to remove them completely.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 12:41:07 am
Where could I access this tutorial please?