AuthorTopic: [WIP] Super Villain for PJ challenge  (Read 7259 times)

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

[WIP] Super Villain for PJ challenge

on: June 13, 2012, 06:17:26 pm

any feedback or suggestions? on any factors palette shading outlines readability,

wonder how many of you will recognise him :crazy: and those of you who do, did I portray him well?

and it'd even be helpful if I get told it looks fit for submission because I'm hesitant at the moment

Ed:oh and ref
Ed II: oh yeah didn't finish the ammo belt :yell:

Update:

probably bad practice but did some outer AA on the legs, should i get rid?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:47:14 pm by Grimsane »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Super Villain for PJ challenge

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 11:58:23 pm
Instantly recognisable as Monsieur Oleander from one the of the most entertaining games I've ever played (OT get it now from the humble bundle thing with a ton of other great stuff for peanuts, if you haven't already)

I personally like the crisp outlines (not that AA to a background is at all bad practice if it's staying put, it's just a just a personal aesthetics thing), I think it suits the nature of the style. The more toony black lines would be my choice too but it looks good either way. How 'bout some more contrast & modelling in the skin, more vibrant colours?

Stick with something; you've got the skillz ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 12:02:31 am by Facet »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Super Villain for PJ challenge (now with vader)

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 06:32:13 am
yeah tis an awesome game! I only played the demo when it came out, could never get hold of it, and just picked it up in the humble bundle almost finished it (meat circus tent, damn knife throwers).
I also did these 2 tiles on tzigla  ;D

raz is flipped on the board though, I generally don't overwork and polish the sandbox tzigla tiles too much, which keeps it firmly within the realms of fun  :yay:
and thanks for the encouraging words I'll see what I can come up with :crazy: and post an update soon

Ed: figured I'd post this here

got free time, so figured I'd have a crack at one of the most stereotypical point to villains.
tbh I think both kinda suck :/ the 2nd one I couldn't get his mask to look any good at all kept looking like a shogun/samurai mask so I just went with it  ::) they are a way from being finished, some areas are still just blocked in. well back to oleander for some cleanup and refinement now i guess

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:00:36 am by Grimsane »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 03:10:21 pm
sorry for D-Post but figured it might be worth bumping

worked on these guys some more after procrastinating and guitaring

ed: <blue shadow tone

when I got back to them, realized they weren't as horrible as I had thought so worked on them a bit more.

I'm under the impression that is as readable as I can get his helmet, damn that took alot of effort :mean:

oh yeah Edit:

general palette tweak reduced it by 3 colours. Better? and experimented with and without dark outlining
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:37:00 pm by Grimsane »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:36:31 am
triple post D: but felt the bumpage was necessary. This one was entirely freehand with no solid reference unlike my last 2 so I would appreciate some feedback, it's over half done, but not sure whether there are some major issues with it or not. or whether anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it

figured I'd try a bond villain so it's jaws but not sure it is instantly recognizable and maybe I should ref the actor for the pose, but i don't have the films and google images wasn't very helpful and I don't have really have the time to search further.

anyone else notice every sprite has an entirely different style?  :lol: although this one is similar in contrast and style to some degree with the flame tinged caped vader I suppose  ::)

figured I'd do a progression since it's changed dramatically since the last one I did, and If anyone reckons it got better or worse

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:10:51 pm by Grimsane »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 03:23:17 pm
Agh, I meant to get back to you on this but got sucked into that tutorial discussion :P.

yeah tis an awesome game! I only played the demo when it came out, could never get hold of it, and just picked it up in the humble bundle almost finished it (meat circus tent, damn knife throwers).
I also did these 2 tiles on tzigla  ;D
Sweet, Psychonauts is kittens dipped in chocolate ^-^.

anyone else notice every sprite has an entirely different style?

Yup ;D. Jaws is certainly not up to par with with Oleander; It's pretty hard to characterise him via his distinguishing features with realistic proportions. You're hugging the outlines in some places with with too-subtle shading (Ol.) and you could maybe push colours a tad more for my taste but really my only major qualm with these guys is the absence of much interpretation; they're very close to your source ref. I've seen some pretty imaginative edits of yours elsewhere so why not channel that closer to home? Maybe you could bridge them some?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:40:57 pm by Facet »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 05:49:23 pm
Quote from:
haha wow epic idea  :crazy: I was considering something like that, a mini toons that were tied together kinda thing, but nothing along this line, it's quite genius  :D

great advice all-round, appreciate it :) makes sense to pursue my grimsane creativity and combine it with my fledgling skills. I think you struck on why I personally am not entirely fond on my vader's they lack individuality and a signature of style (I'm very much still searching for my own style)
I was actually trying to get as many different styles I am capable of in my PJ gallery at once :lol:

I'm still not sure about the outlines I'm getting very mixed responses from people I've shown, the majority so far steer toward the subtler linage.

my Jaws is starting to go toward a more caricature direction already, I've gotten the face looking relatively recognizable, I got to work on his pose and dynamics more,

I think I may have enough time to try doing a series, I might set a pixel joint record for the most entries into a single weekly challenge :blind:

btw I actually kinda asked if the shogun/samurai villain fusion thing was allowed and got no reply, would've enjoyed to turn vader into a samurai :( might do it later anyway :crazy:

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 07:09:17 pm
No problem, hella fun to sketch ;D.

I don't know how useful this is; but I don't really think in terms of style as a destination or something to attain, but as quite a fluid consequence of what happens to excite me at the moment. Cararicature is a really excellent vechicle for promoting that though.

would've enjoyed to turn vader into a samurai

Why the heck not? :P I think that the Kabuto helm actually was the genesis of his design; the whole Jedi thing is samurai inspired.   
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:11:18 pm by Facet »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 07:29:17 pm
calling it done, submitted it to the challenge, but I guess it can be updated if i really need to? thanks for the input and you reminded me I hadn't even shaded the belt past blocking it in :blind:

and might mention I had a lil fun with the preview image too :lol:

and I agree with you, but people do define their own unmistakable approaches preferred stylistic ideals that show in their work, but yeah I promote not restraining oneself to a self enforced style, just for that sake alone. comes down to an artists range too, maybe these show my strengths, oleander is my most preferred and enjoyed piece so maybe that in itself is insightful.

update:
dunno not overly keen on it but Can't really spend any longer on it. dunno about the lame animation either :lol:

krept anoether Oleander update in
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 02:43:34 am by Grimsane »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 11:35:30 pm
I saw the PJ submission (great) and was appropriately amused by the preview ;D maybe you could incorporate it into an awesome evil-villain laugh: "Wauhhaahaha! I'm going to going to tie you to a table and set a weaponised but ponderous cutting laser on you and walk out in the assumption that you'll be cleaved in two!" 

and thanks for the mention :) kinda OT: yeah; codified stylistic parameters are important for a unified project aesthetic or to sell as a kind of branding for your talents but imo a pretty ephemeral 'goal'. What I was trying to promote earlier is a 'cross-pollination' of ideas as a jump-start to invention.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:41:08 pm by Facet »