AuthorTopic: GR#106 - Grimoire - Character Artworks / RPG Base  (Read 37527 times)

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38048.htm
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Re: Grimoire - Art C&C

Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 01:24:07 pm
This looks lovely so far! I hope this will turn out to be perfect, Mr. Perfectionist!
Love Carnage?: Download Epok Now!
My Work
PonjiRo Now Available on Android: Download PonjiRo

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 02:03:36 pm
His arms are extremely thin in the front and back views.

Offline Blaze Enigma

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 06:33:56 pm
His arms are extremely thin in the front and back views.

Lol, well hes not that fat to begin with, I presumed his arms were a good length in comparsion to his body, if I make them any bigger, it looks quite odd, as the arm slightly looks to be the same size as his torso.

- Animation

On a side note returning to the animations as the base's perspective is fixed lol

I do hope he does not look like hes strutting anymore, as for upper body movement, I have failed in my attempt to do so, and ended up with more or less the same thing lol

Any thoughts?

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 01:35:10 am
I think what would help with the strutting problem is if his hands during the walking animation went over his torso instead of going directly beside it. Right now it looks like his hands never reach past his torso when in reality they should never really go to far past his torso on the swing back.

Offline Blaze Enigma

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 06:04:33 am
Another update on the race

- Played with the contrast levels of the skin, as well as shading a few places
- Increased the size of the tail as suggested.
- Have yet to change the head, but I will do so shortly

@Grimsane
I really like that edit, I will be sure to incorporate some of the ideas you have presented in my next update lol

@Mr. Fahrenheit
How so, I thought the strutting problem was no longer present as the perspective was fixed/As for the arms ascending past the torso, I presumed that was occurring, care to tell me which frames have said issue?

I have also recently updated the movement lol

If anyone cares to see an in-game screenshot I have linked a image, the image is quite large hence I didn't add it in a format
http://i50.tinypic.com/t8oppe.png (It is a very experimental and new screenshot lol)

Apologizes for the large post <(^.^)>
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 06:08:09 am by Blaze Enigma »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 05:09:38 pm
he means to some extent this:
*tehwexxl0rz sprite and animation

and that grass tile isn't tiling the best, there is a very pronounced shape, mainly due to this thicker grass outline

and the upward walk still suffers from the exaggerated stride effect due to your colour choice on the legs, mainly the backmost  motion of the leg are too highlighted. and I think you've emphasised a different directional extreme on each angle, hope that makes sense, the downward animation looks like his legs are striding backward quite alot, and in the upward animation they is more emphasis on the opposing direction Ed:nah I think it's just animated too extremely, looks more like a front on leg walkcycle

tail looks more plausible but should obviously be darker when you do colour it, also he looks a bit bland without the elbow OR back fins etc, i think you should come up with something to set them widely apart from humans, more sharklike facial shape, or even going back to and improving some of what has been tried, I was rather digging the colour tones from earlier they looked more matte and shark-like but if you are going for a more cellshaded look then you should make sure you're shadowing is consistent with the highlights ei. decide how flat you want the shading. right now flat shadows/volumetric highlights
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:12:03 pm by Grimsane »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 08:52:40 pm
Was working on this:

Bonus top-down RPG sprite (Note head-fins' drastic effects on silhouette, even small scale)

since earlier on in the thread. Design has progressed pretty well since but it can definitely be pushed further. Most problems have been pointed out by others in the thread however.

All these good refs and no one mentions the Zora from Zelda:OoT/MM (specifically Link's form, or that one with the fins)?! The fins here don't have to be as large as the fins there, not even in the same place, but should have more of an impact on the character's silhouette is what I'm saying.

Zora as an example, proficient swimmers that are aided by their arm-fins. As a result, said fins are pretty big, almost wing-like. Here, I ditched the shoes, figuring this guy swims with heavy use of his feet (but ankle-brace is still there, you see the symbol on it repeated a few times hopefully unifying the design.)

The palette/colorscheme (light blue to dark green) chosen here does bring up some interesting hue shifting and color conservation (10 colors). Also rimlighting, because rimlights are awesome, and in this instance, show the transparency of fish-guy's fins. So that's really a bonus, but you don't have to do this to demonstrate transparency if they're clearly fins. Both of these come down to a matter of choice.

With the face you have it just seems like a demon anime guy with aquatic features that could be more prominent, here it's more a cross between a primate and a dolphin/shark...with tusks...or something like that. Bit odd in retrospect but, point is, the face in its general form can afford to be a bit less humanoid.

With what I did here, defining w/shading more than line, I pretty much took a completely different rendering direction than what you were going for but this might give you ideas on design, lighting, correcting anatomy etc. Btw I would recommend straight cel-shading for your style, starting again from two contrasting shades (either in the light or it isn't) + lines and working a bit from there, not over-rendering.

Plan to rough out the desert outfit later, so keep an eye out for that, I'll be back for a while.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:49:46 pm by pistachio »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 09:59:14 pm
Mind.. blown..
And for the record I've been thinking about Zoras the entire time ;)

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 12:29:14 am
Either make his mouth a little more carnivorous or remove it altogether. For some reason I think removing the mouth would look really good on him.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 01:51:38 am
whoa pistachio that's frickin awesome, hopefully you've inspired him and not depressed him :lol: I thought of Zora quite a bit too,
honestly thought someone else would have mentioned it, also kinda figured he might've already been influenced by them to begin with.

damn I wanna play a game with that art direction/execution :crazy: