AuthorTopic: GR#105 - Archer - Sideview Animation  (Read 11727 times)

Offline Lepix nasom

• View Profile

Re: Desert Character Animations

Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 02:36:16 am
When animating a roll you need to think about how you would do it.  This means how you would do it and in turn not break your neck.  The only way to do that is to use your hands as cushioning or to roll on your shoulder.  If you have ever attempted a shoulder roll before you'll realize that it's extremely easy and extremely safe.  Shoulder hits the ground first but that also is not to say you drop your shoulder on the great using only vertical velocity.  This only works if you have some horizontal momentum.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 05:33:59 am
Thanks to everyone for such awesome critique. I haven't had enough time to really get into the animations again, but as soon as I do I'll do my best to work with what y'all said.

Here's another character I'm working on. (Next to the hero for size comparison)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 09:13:06 am

I've tried to imply the sideways bow you were looking for with the following:
1. Change in color <-- Dark bow color for the back, Highlight near bottom knob on the front
2. Change in thickness <--- thicker bow and string in front, thinner in back
3. Transition of perspective <-- frames to show the form of the bow changing and the front/back colors increasing/decreasing.

However this is a VERY messy edit and you could do this much more exaggerated and successfully than I have.
The extra transition frames can be used to help the other areas of the image as well.

Cool stuff!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:37:05 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 03:44:43 pm
That is an incredible edit :o

I love the speed of it too. I'll have to get on to the horizontal animation and see what I can do!

[edit]: Update with the old tiles.

I may need to make the trees a lot larger now that the sprites are so much bigger. This was more of a style consistency check, I'm not sure where the setting of the game will take place yet.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:40:54 am by slym »