AuthorTopic: Dark Tileset  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Cage

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Dark Tileset

on: June 12, 2012, 06:24:49 pm
Hello! Making a tileset for a puzzle game - instead of doing something abstract or a clean and simple design, I wanted to do an actual tileset. Dark and greyish and a little gritty - the game is all about colours, so the background is supposed to make them pop out more.

Tileset here (lacks some of intersections, etc. currently)

And a test assembly:

I'd really like to hear your suggestions!

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: Dark Tileset

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:47:59 am
It has too low contrast and is quite hard to read because of all the details..
There's not much depth in there, except for the edges, but the effect is very subtle, which also makes it hard to tell what it actually is.
Are each tile going to have a gameplay purpose or is it just for variation? Is it important for the gameplay that you can see the tile grid?

It still looks rather abstract. I mean, I can tell that it's bricks and glass, but is it a rooftop or?

Also, why not give a perspective to the gems by making them taller and floating with a shadow beneath? Sorta like an rpg-character sprite?
Would make them stand out, enhance the feeling of perspective and you could animate them floating up and down to make them pop out even further.

edit: Played around a bit and just tried some random stuff. Maybe there's something that might inspire you.

Also, the gems don't really fit into the setting, what about spray cans or paint buckets?
Perhaps even different colored flowers/grass that sprout out through the ground?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:58:57 am by Seiseki »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 07:33:02 am
I like that you're going for something a bit out the the ordinary :y: but what is the setting exactly; dilapidated industrial? Tbh I like the gems despite the cliché in a puzzle game; I just love shiny things :lol:. But I have to agree with Seisenki about their incongruity in such a 'gritty' setting; perhaps you could go more organic (irradiated mutant snails & gaudy slime trails?); if you're interested in changing those elements.

Your pixel tech is pretty good but broadening your pallette (some secondary sources of illumination might help there) and maybe colonising foliage per Seisenki's suggestion could look great here. Also, giving some small indication of similar geometry to the game field but receded, in the darkness (even the next/previous level, scaled down; à la Super Monkey Ball), might lend a better sense of depth.   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:45:55 am by Facet »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:45:19 am
Snails with different colored trails.
Wow that's an awesome game concept, like a slow-mo version of the Tron bikes ;D

Also, for inspiration, you could always look at stuff like this. It's a great way to get some irregular organic shapes in there in contrast to the industrial..

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:47:31 am by Seiseki »

Offline Cage

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 11:20:48 am
For a start, I've edited the shades of the BG to increase contrast.

Thanks for suggestions. While I wanted to have defined objects like metal, bricks etc. in the background, the setting is still something undisclosed :) The game is a new one in the series (You can play the original here: http://retrocade.net/play/17/linx), it always had a clean, abstract theme and this time I just wanted to give the player more to look at this time ;)

Vegetation is a nice idea, as well as the different levels/varied depth, but I need to consult my programmer on this one, since objects may need to have sorting of some kind, so they are obscured by taller things in front, etc.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 03:05:30 pm
After trying the game I'd suggest going for something like wires and sockets, which would work well with the industrial theme.
You could also include some neat animations, like when the level starts, hatches open to show the different colored sockets and electric sparks when the wires have been connected.
Then to spice it up you can have flickering lights, trash, garbage cans, etc.