AuthorTopic: NPC/Character Base/outline  (Read 2432 times)

Offline cheatsguy

• View Profile

NPC/Character Base/outline

on: June 09, 2012, 09:54:46 pm
as some of you may know I'm working on an odd blend of RPG/Metroidvania game that has the overworld of an RPG, but when you enter a battle, instead of being turn-based you actually fight against monsters with different attack styles to help keep the game interesting to the very end. These are two very basic outlines I plan on using for characters and NPC humanoids.
For Males
For Females.
where should I go from here? anything I should do to change the basic outline, or any problems with the heavy black outline? the game overall is inspired by the early Final Fantasy games, so that should give some help as far as style of graphics.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Re: NPC/Character Base/outline

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 11:39:25 pm
I'd compare the style to Final Fantasy II's sprites (not the overrated "classic" Final Fantasy IV that was named II in the Americas, I'm talking the originally Japan-only NES game that followed the first one): http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy2/Party/ So I'd say it's pretty spot-on; however, FFII's sprites show mostly shoulders and very little of the legs, so perhaps shortening the shown amount of legs and giving room for larger shoulders (and in turn probably enlarging the head slightly) would add onto that effect.

This is offtopic to the actual bases you posted, but if you're looking for a unique experience/leveling system to help make your RPG stand out, I'd look into that of FFII's (again, the japanese one.)  Characters didn't have levels; well at least, using the standard FF leveling system.  They leveled up in different stats like "Axes", "Swords", "whips", etc. for weapons, and for each spell, they had their own levels ("Fire -- Level 15", "Ultima -- Level 7", etc.)  These stats increased based on how much you cast the spell/used that weapon, and each time they leveled up it would be exponentially harder to level up from there.  Even more interesting -- stats increased based on a need for an increase.  Like, if a player started the battle with a decent amount of health, but by the end of the battle they're almost dead, their stamina/HP would increase (if they died, however, this wouldn't happen).  If they didn't deal much damage in a battle with melee, but used melee a lot, their attack would increase.  And so on and etc.  Of course, one could level up quickly by entering easy battles and having the characters almost kill each other for an easy stamina/HP increase, but really detecting and stopping something like this from happening is no hard feat, so you could inhibit the chances of that.  Enough of offtopic thought though, just wanted to throw you an interesting idea from my favorite RPG of all time.

Offline cheatsguy

• View Profile

Re: NPC/Character Base/outline

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 03:06:22 am
Thanks ashbad! :D Definitely an interesting concept to keep in mind! The game doesnt have much and I honestly just hope it actually happens :). Gives me something to cconsider!