AuthorTopic: kitana & mileena  (Read 3558 times)

Offline mistirbc

• View Profile

kitana & mileena

on: June 09, 2012, 05:55:50 am

Kitana and mileena from mortal kombat. I sketched out the body for mileena and cleaned up the outlines, flipped it, and used the same base for kitana. First time I've actually finished something in awhile... I'm pretty happy with how they looked. I started on a jade but havnt gotten anywhere.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Re: kitana & mileena

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 03:45:42 pm
right now, even though you have shading, everything just reads as flat shapes because theres not enough contrast. quick shading edit

some anatomy issues too.  Arms look a little short and the foreheadon the blue one is too small.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 04:48:34 pm

partial edit because it's too hot here to do art. But please keep it mind nonetheless

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 02:52:34 am
Did a partial edit.  Man, I am out of practice.  Head, neck (too much neck maybe), one shoulder, upper torso.  Gave her some pants, I mean come on.  Cheesecake or not, that's just an awful costume.  I included some intermediate copies of the face.  Helm's edit did a better job on the arms and legs than I would have anyway.

I think you need to work on anatomy study and expressing form (3d-ness).   Also, too many colors in the original, I think.  You could get away with (skin, blue, extra saturated stuff like lips, extra desaturated stuff for silver and background), 5 colors each for about 20 colors total.  But other people here are better at colors than I am.

Steps on the face I used:
  • Given the size of the head, determine the size of the eye (eye width is approximately head height divided by 6 or 7). 
  • Sketch out a couple of eye shapes, and pick one.
  • Put the eyes in the head.
  • Sketch the other reference points: base of the nose, mouth, chin, hairline.  Add a preliminary cheek and jaw line.  Move the eyebrows around as needed.
  • Fill in lights and shadows.  This is to add in the shape of the underlying skull.  So the eyes get sockets, the nose gets lighter, as do the cheeks, chin and forehead.  I didn't shade in the eyeballs or lips yet, just the shapes of the head.  I think I added a bit of AA to the jawline.  Oh, I added a lot to the top of the skull too - she had a very flat head. No reference used.
  • Then go back and color in the actual eyeball, and lips.  This got me to the third face on the right.  I confess I think I like this one the best, but at the time I wanted to tweak it some.
  • The last head on the right is the same face but made thinner by one pixel.  Then I tried a rounder jaw, which is what is in the full sized version.

Clarity is very important.  The eye shapes I used are not much different from the eye shapes you used, but I kept the shading simple.   But mostly it is the lack of form, and wonky anatomy that is hindering you. 

Hope this helps,
Tourist

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 05:30:16 am
There's something incredibly creepy about Mileenas head.
I'm trying to figure out what.. The shape feels really off and those eyes are incredibly uncanny.

Offline JonasO

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:57:21 am
There's something incredibly creepy about Mileenas head.
I'm trying to figure out what.. The shape feels really off and those eyes are incredibly uncanny.
EDIT: This critique might sound mean, but it's certainly not meant as an offence. Don't take it too bad.
EDIT: oops... I was talking about Kitana when I said:
The mouth. She looks like a blow up doll. And I certainly agree with Helm on the arm length.

Mileena seems to have no pupils. Her head is big and boney, it could well be the head of a guy. And I think that the lighting on her forehead gives her an unfortunate hump, like a cardassian or something. The fact that the hair line has an irregularity exactly at those points intensifies that look.
Also I feel the head tilts too much to the side, such that it looks slightly detached from the rest of the body. Maybe eve just shifting it a few pixel to the right (from her point of view) could do the trick.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:11:54 am by JonasO »