AuthorTopic: [HELP WANTED] Pixelation 'RPG Perspective' Tutorial Project!  (Read 45743 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage
That's an great offer, If you can kill the mistakes it'd be great. Feel free to take the part of the tutorial and correct it with a red color. The bad thing is that I created them direct in the graphics-program, so I don't have a raw version of a text before. I create them as xcf-files (gimp) if you can't open them I can save them also as psd files and send them to you then you could make the edits direct in the files.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile
I'm a gimp user :D and that's what I had in mind, so feel free shoot me the xcf, btw i usually save as .xcfgz works the same but gets compressed, no noticeable time difference loading, because compression is always better for disk space :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:17:10 pm by Grimsane »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage
overworked the tutorial part 2 & 3 and widened the examples. I wasn't at home the whole day, but you'll get a pm soon, Grimsane.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:33:16 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Facet

• View Profile
These improvements are amazing; very clear and consistent :-*. If I was to nit-pick: I'd qualify every instance of 'isometric' later on in the tutorials with (pixel) iso. just as a precaution to curtail any misunderstandings (especially since this is a multi-part thing). Also; the profile tree thing has 5 instead of 6 projectors on the iso side in the first instance and just aesthetically it might be best to change to to an odd number overall for an equal amount above and below the 'camera'. tbh it's not that much of a discrepancy between 45° and 35° overhead views; I'm not sure that's worth focusing on so much.

Edit: you mention of oblique 'this is also known as ¾ from time to time' but I'd reckon most of the 8/16 bit classics are oblique. It'd be nice to give an example of some simple geometry overlaid on 'the classics' for comparison and at the end mention the fairly loose application of those rules that some of them take.   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:05:36 pm by Facet »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile
oh yeah been meaning to post this,
to me even at glance the ratio looks slightly off on your final crates, I believe it is due to the lid of the crate where you have the highlight and edge going 1 pixel too low and pulling it below what you've established in the pink one:

just me? and even so it shows how a matter of 1 pixel can adjust how it is read.

comparison:

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage
also thought about this Grim, but na, the construction is right, but it's a pretty interesting observation.

I enhanced part 3 strongly. I added especially more pretty basic stuff for the first example, because I think the ones we are referring to this won't even have heard of the things we are talking the whole day. I don't give any detailled in-depth insights, even without that it got pretty long - but I think it's enough to get the rough ideas.

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon
Incredible!
Registering on these forums is the best thing I've done ever! :D

Offline spacepaw

• View Profile

Re: [HELP WANTED] Pixelation 'RPG Perspective' Tutorial Project!

Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 11:30:57 am
Hello,
Sorry for bumping this post but it really bothers me. In the part called "But how does the 3d effect work" the cube measurments for axonometric projection seem to be 2/3 instead of 3/4. It's seems to be correct in the other parts though.

It bothers me because there's a sentence saying that "nobody will see the perspectives clash" (angled box drawn in iso and front view box in axonometric) but it seems to me that it's only because of this error there. The thing is I'm trying to construct an angled box based on front view (axonometric) and I just can't seem to get the proportions right. Is there a specyfic way to make angled isometric version of front view axonometric box? How do I calculate the height and width?

Once again sorry for bumping :)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #38 on: August 26, 2012, 09:12:28 pm
The drawing is maybe off (problems with rescaling) but the measurement notes are the right ones, so this shouldn't be a problem.

The example is all about how the box-angle changes if you change the viewing angle and this is the correct part.

There is no way to  make a correct axonometric isometric box, because you only can achieve the 120° wide angle with a viewing angle of 35,2° you need for isometry. The axonometric perspective you use (or the one in the example) has a viewing angle of 45°. So no you can't make an isometric looking and flat at the bottom placed box for a 45° viewing angle.

The correct constructed 45° axonometric rpg perspective box is the one with the jaggy lines, but I already pointed out, that this isn't very beautiful for pixelart standards.
Try to understand the example, if it's to hard to understand, try to imagine the projections first.
The example illustrates all things you need for understanding.

The good thing about the human brain is that you only recognize perspectivical, proportional or any drawing-related  issues if you have a lot of viewing-experience. Most people aren't well trained to recognize this, so it's pretty easy to fool there impressions. The 13° deviation of the viewing angle won't hurt the impression of most people.

If you thought a lot about it and you weren't able to understand it you can send me a msg. Atm I don't really have lots of time, which explains also why I haven't completed all so far.

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: August 27, 2012, 09:14:44 am
Only thing HSV is more comfortable than is RGB. There's a number of more reliable and visually understandable alternatives, such as HSL, HSY, and LCH. Please use one of them instead, and save yourself the trouble of understanding HSV's idiosyncracies.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.