AuthorTopic: [WIP] Adult Scootaloo + Cloudy Scene  (Read 31395 times)

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

[WIP] Adult Scootaloo + Cloudy Scene

on: June 05, 2012, 01:13:04 am
I've been working on this for hours now, and at least 45 minutes of that time was spent on a certain area of the pony:

I've attempted tons of other ways to shade it, yet it won't work (what I'm showing is the best case so far, and even then it doesn't look natural at all)  The light source is coming from the right, and the leg itself is kind of cylindrical in shape.  I honestly don't know what I'm missing.  Any ideas on what I'm missing?

And of course, other C+C is welcome like always, but honestly I know this is still maybe a 50% done WIP so I'm still working with it and have hours ahead of me to complete it ^_^  So, trust me, I know there are tons of other problems.

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be wonderful insight (like always).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:27:59 am by Ashbad »

Offline Triple

• View Profile
I'm not good but I was bored:

My pixeled 2D MMORPG: https://discord.gg/TmHHJkG

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon
I think you made it worse :P

I don't think the original shading looks that bad.. But if her flank is up in the air (lolz) then her legs shouldn't be straight like that.
Right now I'm kinda uncertain if her body is twisted so her face is further away than the flank or if it's meant to be a crouching pose.
If it's crouching then this reference should help a bit.

Also, another thing is the hair from her neck and the wing, it looks kinda flat compared to the awkward position she's in..

edit: Seeing as her both hind legs are visible, it's more like the body is slightly twisted..

edit2: messed around with it a bit and I think the perspective is much clearer now.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:06:59 am by Seiseki »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
* Scootaloo is occasionally drawn with eyebrows, when expressiveness demands it. I tried adding some and it really contributes a lot to the expression. I suggest you try it.
* You've lit the body well -- in fact, you seem to have improved quite a lot generally since the last pixel-art I saw from you. OTOH the mane + tail doesn't appear to be fully endowed in this respect. It's a bit like you've assumed it was bevelled, and lit it as if that was true. Of course, doing true lighting is less FiM-ish, but also looks less weird.
* Single pixel in ear appeared disconnected. I suggest using isolated single pixels only to portray an individual detail, rather than a continuation of an earlier line. Otherwise it tends to look like a flaw or a bit of dirt on the image.
* I had a go at the leg, dunno if it's better or worse.

Here's an edit, mostly focusing on mane lighting:
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile
Pretty quick edit and I'm not that familiar with the style, but I referenced a couple images:

Their front legs are sort of tapered cylinders, but they're not totally stiff, and I think it will help if you go for something less stiff. Changed a few other things but it's like three in the morning now, I've gotta stop doing these so late at night...

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss
Yeah man it's not easy to shade that.  Cylinders can be quite difficult.  Quite difficult indeed.  Light traveling in a straight line and hitting some of the form but not others.  It's not easy to grasp.  I can't even imagine how I would tackle this problem......I definitely wouldn't consult google or do any light studies.  I'm stumped.  Sorry dude.

Quick thought about the pose.  Ponies tails aren't like that irl.    Not sure why the tail is defying gravity.  I think that needs to be adjusted.  But I don't know...

Anyway it's so cool and totally not lame to see Pony fans come out of the wood work and post on pixelation.  Awesome.  We do not see enough pony work here!    You guys were in hiding or didn't know about this place for awhile.  And now that's all changed.  I for one see nothing wrong with loving a show about female ponies(pony's?) having wacky nonsensical adventures that are pointless no matter what gender you are.  I don't find it odd, weird, degrading, shameful, sad or immature in the slightest.  Your parents would definitely not have a problem with it.  Who would?  I truly believe and stand by this.

I certainly wouldn't 'not mind seeing more! I hope you keep posting your work forever and never mysteriously vanish. :y:

Also sorry I don't have an edit.  I'm really busy and honestly...And I wouldn't want to tamper with such a masterpiece.

Btw who is your favorite pony?  I don't have any favorites I feel the same way about all of them  :P

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile
^ I refer you to rule #1. Educate yourself.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 02:27:53 pm by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud
Yeah man it's not easy to shade that.  Cylinders can be quite difficult.  Quite difficult indeed.  Light traveling in a straight line and hitting some of the form but not others.  It's not easy to grasp.  I can't even imagine how I would tackle this problem......I definitely wouldn't consult google or do any light studies.  I'm stumped.  Sorry dude.

Too bad I already did, and nothing seemed to help me produce something that didn't look somewhat awkward.  Looks like we're both stumped then.  Good thing we have good artists here to help us both! :)

Anyway it's so cool and totally not lame to see Pony fans come out of the wood work and post on pixelation.  Awesome.  We do not see enough pony work here!    You guys were in hiding or didn't know about this place for awhile.  And now that's all changed.  I for one see nothing wrong with loving a show about female ponies(pony's?) having wacky nonsensical adventures that are pointless no matter what gender you are.  I don't find it odd, weird, degrading, shameful, sad or immature in the slightest.  Your parents would definitely not have a problem with it.  Who would?  I truly believe and stand by this.

Fellow Jedi council, the sarcasm is weak with this one.

I certainly wouldn't 'not mind seeing more! I hope you keep posting your work forever and never mysteriously vanish. :y:

... Anyways, back onto my topic I guess ^_^ I appreciate all of the rest of the feedback.

@Cupcake: Not sure I agree with the leg shading there (the "stupid" one that I pointed out, at least), but that shading on the back legs/flank intrigues me.  Makes it feel even more dimensional.  I'll definitely have to play around with that like you did on those back legs.

@Ai: lots of great tips that I'll be sure to consider/take :) Eyebrows: definitely going to do some sort of eyebrow expression once I get everything else a bit more polished, since while it makes a big difference, it's not a huge piece of work to do compared to what else I have to do.  But thanks for the reminder.  Lighting: thanks, I've been studying other pixel art for how they shade for subjects like this (well, not ponies, but legs and plot, et al), and I decided to apply my newfound knowledge with this pixel, but having it in a slightly less common pose, with a slightly different lighting angle than what I have done with my previous ones.  Single pixel issue: thanks for the catch and the tip :) I'll be sure to scan the rest of it for single pixel noise once I fix a few other things.

@Triple: Not sure I completely agree with your edit, though mostly only because you added a whole new shade for lighting (and I'm trying to keep it to only 3 for now ^_^) thanks for the edit, though.

As for my own edit based on the great insight so far, I should have something by tonight (sorry it'll take until then, I'm slow at pixeling, mostly because I'm easily distracted, stuck on a bad trackpad lately that I have yet to get efficient with, and have a lot of interruptions in my schedule today that will leave me little open free time to work on this).  Thanks again, you guys are great :D

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon
Quick thought about the pose.  Ponies tails aren't like that irl. Not sure why the tail is defying gravity.  I think that needs to be adjusted.  But I don't know...

Because the anime style hair your sprites use totally follow the laws of gravity..

Anyway it's so cool and totally not lame to see Pony fans come out of the wood work and post on pixelation.  Awesome.  We do not see enough pony work here!    You guys were in hiding or didn't know about this place for awhile.  And now that's all changed.  I for one see nothing wrong with loving a show about female ponies(pony's?) having wacky nonsensical adventures that are pointless no matter what gender you are.  I don't find it odd, weird, degrading, shameful, sad or immature in the slightest.  Your parents would definitely not have a problem with it.  Who would?  I truly believe and stand by this.

The time and effort on your side to carefully craft this post is not at all odd, weird, degrading, shameful, sad or immature in the slightest.
It's what grown ups do when they're brim with self-confidence and see something that they really enjoy and can get behind.

The way you use sarcasm really helps prove what a great person you are and how you really stand up for your opinions and it makes you look really badass and cool.
I'm sure your parents taught you well, enlightening people on the Internet is a true and just cause!
Not coming across as judgmental, arrogant, ignorant or a total jerk at all, after all some people are just better than others based on their interests..

edit: Ashbad, You saw my edit right? :D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:38:32 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Let's not talk about Mike's disruptive post in this thread any more, keep it to critique for the art at hand.