AuthorTopic: wee green fatso  (Read 11014 times)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

wee green fatso

on: June 10, 2006, 02:23:29 am
i dont get to post a lot of art as of late unfortunately, i hope to change that but im still not in a position to have a lot of free time to do the kindof art i like in my free time, but i thought id share these miserably tiny animations of some abominable creatures shrunk down to ungodly small size. I dont profess the animation to be perfect, the face glitches kindof in a strange manner and it could go through another pass of tweaking, but id rather spend that time on making something new and exciting!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 02:25:13 am by st0ven »

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Re: wee green fatso

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 02:47:33 am
Very nice, st0ven.  I won't go into in depth critique if you're moving one... not much I see that could use tweaking besides the way his right leg goes out when he walks.  Love the twisting motion on the hammer mace thing. 

I hope you do spend that time on something new to show us  :)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 04:42:41 am
I've got nothing but praise for this.
(except the walk anim's legs, but since you say you'd rather leave it be...)
I've got nothing but praise for this!  ;D

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 05:11:36 am
I would take out some of the inbetween frames on the strike to emphasize the power of the blow. To further enhance this effect, I'd add several frames at the end showing the weapon bouncing off the target before settling at a relaxed position.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 08:43:12 am
The walkanim has no weight whatsoever. It looks like he is suspended in the air and is just moving his legs, i get no feeling of contact.
I think this is mainly because he does not put his feet down on the staps forward. I can still see the underside of his feet and then they already go back. I say fix it and you have a nice animation.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 12:34:23 pm
Interesting lil buggers. The attack is really nice, I'm having fun watching all the tiny details move about. The walk's movement is good, but it seems too smooth, as if he's gently gliding about.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 01:56:02 pm
I don't like the walk anim. The legs look moderately fine due to the loin cloth, but actually, they completely miss a realistic walk. Otherwise nice pieces of course. I agree that the turning of the club looks cool...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 01:57:28 pm
looks good to me, except for the walking animation being a glider, which ive been told from my own works is bad and i can kinda see it.  i actually like the way the way the hammer falls slowly and doesnt bounce, i think it gives it more size/weight.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 04:26:24 pm
I agree on his left feet gliding, looks like you did some copy+paste there instead of redrawing the correct bending of the knee, UNLESS it's a limp, which in that case, is correct.
Also, the motion blur on the blow makes it look like it's actually decelerating instead of accelerating, i'd just take it off. If you want to use motion blur, it's more apropriate to go "initial position frame - intermediate motion blurred position - final, stopped position" rather than suddenly include it in a movement at a slower speed.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 05:19:41 pm
i think that these are all good and true comments that are well observed.

firstly, i certainly agree with the walk. lets say you are this big fat green thing and you weigh close to a metric ton. When one leg sloshes forward in a powerful, broad range of motion, the planting of the foot (heel first) would precede a frame that illustrates all the weight being shifted to the newly, flat, planted foot, and then for effect, an additional frame showing the leg and body slightly buckling under the weight of his own body would really complete that 'damn im a metric ton'  :D.  this piece was meant to be a test for functional art assets, of which the platform strictly demands "as little as possible", heheh.. so i had originally put the feet planting down at the end (though with no reverberation of weight), but being that i have to use the same previous frame to pull the leg back (no room for add'l frames), it looked awkward having him angle his ankle, then plant his foot down level with the ground, then pick his ankle back up in an angled position to bring it back under his body, so it sort of pushed me to use the 'im gliding' FFT ish solution for animation. (not that any of this excuses anything, i certainly would like to have been able to take it that far, just explaining the circumstances so it doesnt appear that i was just being lazy).

big bro: for the strike anim... id like to try that out, to take out the last blurred frame befoe the club sinks into the ground perhaps, and just make the swing 'woosh' broader perhaps.

turbo: the animation was blocked out frame by frame and then used pro motion for detail transition and motion, so there certainly wasnt any cut n pasting that i can recall to any excess that would affect, in my opinion, the motion or quality/fluidity of that motion.  However, i can certainly see that deceleration that you mention at the end of the motion, which i think is caused by the mid-arc not travelling far enough in that particular frame perhaps and the extra frame inserted to compensate before the club rests? to describe the motion i would expect, i would think that there is 1 frame for the 'cocked' position to swing, 1 'initial' movement of the arms to get the accelleration of the weapon going (this might look pretty close in position to the 'cocked' frame. perhaps there should be a more exaggerated body lead that indicates all his might is going into this :P... then the blurred frame which travells most of the distance, then finally the rest frame.  given this observation id be interested to see what it looks like without that frame before the 'thud' frame.

oh just to clarify, that is in fact a shield strapped to his waist that dangles between his legs, not a loin cloth  :D 

thanks for the comments so far